Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

bopper wrote: »
    Really makes little difference. Even if you hit complete you can still go back and change something before you submit it. You have to hit complete on everything before you submit it on Thursday though.

It makes a difference speed wise. The less things you have to click the better. Ideally I only want to to have to be logged in, select my category, hit complete in that section, then click "Submit my application" on the main page on Thursday.

I just wasn't sure if you had to click "complete" on every category on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

Skalragg wrote: »
    So it shouldn't cause a problem re-entering the country even though I would have applied with old passport and used it for a year

I'm sorry I am not sure. Doesn't it say somewhere that your passport must be valid for the 2 years that you will be on the IEC...??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

IrishTeddi wrote: »
    It makes a difference speed wise. The less things you have to click the better. Ideally I only want to to have to be logged in, select my category, hit complete in that section, then click "Submit my application" on the main page on Thursday.

I just wasn't sure if you had to click "complete" on every category on the day.

Yes and I did say you had to hit complete on everything before you submit it. You were asking about hitting save or complete and I said it makes little difference because you can still go back and edit what you typed anyway, which is why I thought you were concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

These guys seem to be the one I'm going with.

They cover pretty much every possible incident.

http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

ck24 wrote: »
    But cant you just use that scanned copy and use your current passport number to apply. Ive seen on here before that people applied using one passport but entered Canada using a newer one. Could happen to anyone if they applied and then lost your passport after they got their visa approved.
    It would be a different story if you hadnt scanned your passport before you lost it.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx#Ir4-1

Question one at the bottom of the page :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

gg2 wrote: »

Question one is not what they're asking.

They're asking can you apply for a work permit with your current passport, then apply for a new passport after you've been accepted, and then enter Canada on the new passport. Which you can do, I did it myself.

Phoenix wrote: »
    did you buy a years or two years?

Two years. It's best to do that and I think the price for two years is really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Phoenix wrote: »
    did you buy a years or two years?

you have to buy the 2 other wise its possibley they only give you the visa until that year of insurance is up

• Advertisement

Question one is not what they're asking.

They're asking can you apply for a work permit with your current passport, then apply for a new passport after you've been accepted, and then enter Canada on the new passport. Which you can do, I did it myself.

Ok! So sorry my brain is melted from passport hunting, obviously the question one on the page is in regards to if your previous passport is out of date and that is why it would be out of the question? So I can bang away and send in the scan of my "lost" one (refusing to believe its lost, I had it last week) and if worst comes to worst I can still apply for a new one and enter Canada with it?

gg2 wrote: »
    Ok! So sorry my brain is melted from passport hunting, obviously the question one on the page is in regards to if your previous passport is out of date and that is why it would be out of the question? So I can bang away and send in the scan of my "lost" one (refusing to believe its lost, I had it last week) and if worst comes to worst I can still apply for a new one and enter Canada with it?

That question you're referring to is basically saying that if you send your passport off to get renewed before applying for the visa, you have to wait until you receive your new passport before you apply.

If you have a copy of your current passport and it's not due to expire during the two years of your visa, you can apply with that. Once you get your visa you can then renew your passport and enter canada on that. Just bring a photocopy of the passport you applied on to be safe. Although I wasn't even asked for that when I entered the country.

That question you're referring to is basically saying that if you send your passport off to get renewed before applying for the visa, you have to wait until you receive your new passport before you apply.

If you have a copy of your current passport and it's not due to expire during the two years of your visa, you can apply with that. Once you get your visa you can then renew your passport and enter canada on that. Just bring a photocopy of the passport you applied on to be safe. Although I wasn't even asked for that when I entered the country.

Yeah, I was also told this. Have a photocopy of your old passport as it would be the passport number that would have been on your initial application. I freaked out when I realized back in December that my passport wouldn't cover the two years.

I feel a bit deflated 3 months later that I worried for nothing, but who was to know? I was like a lunatic getting the passport renewed! Ahhh..Hindsight :D

Yeah, I was also told this. Have a photocopy of your old passport as it would be the passport number that would have been on your initial application. I freaked out when I realized back in December that my passport wouldn't cover the two years.

I feel a bit deflated 3 months later that I worried for nothing, but who was to know? I was like a lunatic getting the passport renewed! Ahhh..Hindsight :D

You were probably right to get it renewed when you did. As far as I know you get rejected during the application process if your passport doesn't cover the two years of the visa.

I'm not 100% sure about that rule, but what I'm saying is that after you've successfully been accepted for the work permit, you can renew your passport if you need to, and it won't affect your visa. Like if you lost your original passport for example. Or some people just like to have a fresh ten year passport before they leave the country if they've long term travel plans, or intend on applying for further permits/visas while overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Right, I've got my Kompass account all sorted, have filled out everything I possibly could (inc. making sure my name is as on my passport).

All that's left is to choose category tomorrow. Is that when we upload passport and CV?

I'm going to my Garda station tonight to get my clearance sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

Judi565 wrote: »
    Yep I'm going with the date I entered Canada as that's what appears on the visa in my passport so I'm guessing that's what's on their records. Can't actually remember when I posted off the USIT application!

Yeah debated it a bit myself but went with the month I entered in the end. I guess that's what they'll have documents for if they were to check (rather than the date I applied through USIT).

Also I know they ask when we applied but whatever answer we give will show up as the date we entered so guess it's best to submit correct info as they will see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Clazicolleen

EI-DOR wrote: »
    The flipping Place of Birth has me confused. It says Town/City and on my Passport it is down as the County. Though I have still put the County down as that's whats on the PP!

Edit,

After reading the page, it doesn't stipulate in the sub-section that the Place of Birth has to be Town/City or County, so I'm just going to put the Town and County in!

It's handy when your town and county are the same, derry! Mines solved lol

The only thing that is niggling away at me is that now when i look at the copy i have, my face in the photo isn't crystal clear (must be the way the light on the scanner picked it up), and i'm imagining this could be a potential problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Query

Im getting married in June and will be married before traveling over there but for the Marital Status i presume i should put down Single now as that is what it is at this moment and time ?

Just thinking there might be a problem when we get over there if successful and we are both married but we stipulated single at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cmac8

Hi

Looking for some help

My partner and I went to Vancouver in 2012 on a one year visa. We were then lucky enough to get the 2 year visa in 2013 so our visa doesnt run out until July 2015. We moved back to Ireland last October but are seriously considering moving back to VC.

I am wondering is it hard to get an extension if we did go back over as it really wouldnt be worth our while if we had to leave in July 2015. We are both confident that we would get back with our previous employers (UBC University) in some kind of capacity.

Having read up on the new extended visa procedure, I dont really see anything in it that would benefit us as we would not have a job offer until we went back over.

Any help would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭sjapok

MarkJD wrote: »
    Query

Im getting married in June and will be married before traveling over there but for the Marital Status i presume i should put down Single now as that is what it is at this moment and time ?

Just thinking there might be a problem when we get over there if successful and we are both married but we stipulated single at the time?

Definitely go with the single status.

Congrats by the way and good luck with your wedding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭sjapok

I just got back my Garda clearance cert this morning and I've noticed something which could be nasty. Basically on my birth cert I haves 2 middle names and the police certificate specifically wants your name "as per your birth cert".

However, now that I've got my police certificate back I realise that the name doesn't match my passport which has only 1 of the 2 middle names.

What do I do?
    Option A: Leave as is and hope it's OK.
    Option B: Re-apply for the cert explaining that I'd like to have only 1 middle name on the police cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

What format did everyone put in for their phone numbers?

The town of birth is another issue too. I'm just going to put my county as on the passport as I presume they will never see our birth cert so they'll never know.

I must say that the programme for the application procedure is poorly designed. There should be no element of uncertainty for applicants.

One thing I'll say for them is that their youtube videos are helpful alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

sjapok wrote: »
    Definitely go with the single status.

Congrats by the way and good luck with your wedding :D

Thanks :) I suppose I can still pull out depending if we both get the visa or not hahaha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

is it just me or is this process seem like a walk in the park? panic stations to beat the band surely haha

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

I have to say, going by the shear volume of confusion on here last night over setting the password up and putting the DOB in, the visa's wouldn't have went to quick in my opinion if we had to wait until tomorrow to set-up the Kompass Account up. To much over thinking and panicking done!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

What format did everyone put in for their phone numbers?

The town of birth is another issue too. I'm just going to put my county as on the passport as I presume they will never see our birth cert so they'll never know.

I must say that the programme for the application procedure is poorly designed. There should be no element of uncertainty for applicants.

One thing I'll say for them is that their youtube videos are helpful alright.

The system is fine. Some people are just over thinking it is the problem.

For the phone number, I put 00353 for the prefix and dropped the 0 at the start of 087-xxxxxxx. Think of it this way, what number would you give someone abroad if they wanted to contact you?

Put down what ever is on your passport for city/town of birth. Canadian passports use the city of birth, which is why they probably phrased the question like that. What's on your passport should match your visa, i.e place of birth.

Other people also having issues with the date of birth when a format is clearly given (yyyy-mm-dd). Granted also asking to put down what's on your passport exactly as is a bit confusing but when you're given a format, logic would point towards using that format. The exactly as is in that case meant what the actual date is. They hardly want you to put down the shortform month in Irish & English, which would be the literal translation of 'exactly as in your passport' is.

Just watched the Kompass videos, very helpful. I see you can pay using credit card, I thought it was only debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Karlos_Macca

Bit of a stupid question....but im still waiting on Garda Cert.....it is just a scanned copy we send? Not a hardcopy sent to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gossipgal

I really hope they put up a time for when the WHV opens. I'm working off Australia time over here and it could be an all nighter otherwise! Presuming it will be the same time but you never know.

Advertisement