Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

I'm not sure this is correct, 10 days or when the quota is filled which ever happens first.

I don't mean to argue but I'm not sure you're right.

Submitting your application tonight at 8 (dependent on numbers obviously) gives you a sort of provisional ticket to the next stage, dependent on you paying and submitting documents within the ten days. If you do that, then on to round two, if you don't then you lose it. This is the first come, first served part, we're all a little safer once we submit tonight at 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

eenm wrote: »

Submitting your application tonight at 8 (dependent on numbers obviously) gives you a sort of provisional ticket to the next stage, dependent on you paying and submitting documents within the ten days. If you do that, then on to round two, if you don't then you lose it. This is the first come, first served part, we're all a little safer once we submit tonight at 8.

I'm pretty sure that this is the correct info.

I went into my local Garda station night before last to apply for clearance and they gave me a form and said I'd be best off cutting out the middle man (them) and going to Coolock Garda Station, as that's where they'd have to send it anyway.

Did that last night and have applied. Asked the Garda on duty roughly how long I could expect to wait and he said he'd no idea (:rolleyes:) but probably a few days. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

123DarcySt wrote: »
    You need to write a letter to the superintendent of YOUR LOCAL Garda station. Bring a photocopy of your passport also and a stamped self addressed envelope. You're looking for a police cert not a vetting form. I sent mine in on a Monday and got it sent out to me on the Wednesday. It was very quick, but it depends on the station. I was also asked if I wanted to come in and pick it up instead of it being posted. Maybe if you ask them nicely if you can pick it up.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=2742&Lang=1

To save yourself a second trip also bring your actual passport, and birth cert....from my experience depending on what guard you get, they can ask for everything or want practically nothing. It's stupid to be honest since all they do is cross reference you vs their 'pulse' system. It takes two minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Skalragg wrote: »
    To save yourself a second trip also bring your actual passport, and birth cert....from my experience depending on what guard you get, they can ask for everything or want practically nothing. It's stupid to be honest since all they do is cross reference you vs their 'pulse' system. It takes two minutes

The guy I got last night seemed to want to catch me out-he asked for my form, passport and birthcert one by one, expecting me to not have them all in my bag.

He said I'd get a call when it was ready to be picked up. He offered to send it to my local station but I had visions of it going"missing" so said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

The guy I got last night seemed to want to catch me out-he asked for my form, passport and birthcert one by one, expecting me to not have them all in my bag.

He said I'd get a call when it was ready to be picked up. He offered to send it to my local station but I had visions of it going"missing" so said no.

1st cop I dealt with refused to take my form because I did not produce my birth cert.... even though I had my passport and drivers license with me as proof of ID. 2nd cop didn't want to see any of my ID's, said it'd be ready in under two weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 NadyB

Tinman is there anyone you would trust to submit your application online as I read this morning (doing my best not to read any spoilers) that if you pop out during the show you won't be allowed back in till an appropriate interval as it sounds like there is a lot of audience participation and people could ruin it by using their phones to send information? So I'm guessing using it during night be a big no no.
    tinman09 wrote: »
    Thanks. Whats the chances they have wifi or even decent data coverage in there? We'll be up and running outside at 7.55

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tinman09

NadyB wrote: »
    Tinman is there anyone you would trust to submit your application online as I read this morning (doing my best not to read any spoilers) that if you pop out during the show you won't be allowed back in till an appropriate interval as it sounds like there is a lot of audience participation and people could ruin it by using their phones to send information? So I'm guessing using it during night be a big no no.

Yeah i suppose i could ask a friend, thanks. Im going to go in and try and sweet talk a wifi code from them, if they even have it. If i get it ill pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jason27

Hi, I've a quick question.

When filling out contact info in the Kompass account I put the country code as 00353. Do I drop the '0' of the '087' for a mobile number?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sloth89

Yeah i suppose i could ask a friend, thanks. Im going to go in and try and sweet talk a wifi code from them, if they even have it. If i get it ill pm you

Went to see a Derren Brown show last year...you're in for a treat! :P

Yup drop the 0, so it will be begin 87*******
    jason27 wrote: »

When filling out contact info in the Kompass account I put the country code as 00353. Do I drop the '0' of the '087' for a mobile number?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

jason27 wrote: »

I'd just put the country code down as 353. When calling from Canada it's 011353 (like in USA) not 00353 from most other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Raymo1993

Is the visa 120 euros

Yes
    Raymo1993 wrote: »
    Is the visa 120 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I thought it said in on of the vids you have 10 weeks or until the quota is filled, your prob right but I won't be hanging around either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

This is the clearest explanation that I've seen. I really think it's even clearer than on the IEC page. They did not get all that out in five lines.

Good job and thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

If I apply for a polie cert today and it takes a few weks to get here will that affect my place if I have the passport/resume in?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tinman09

Sloth89 wrote: »
    Went to see a Derren Brown show last year...you're in for a treat! :P

Cant wait, dont suppose you remember were you able to go online on your phone while there or was it too captivating?

Cant wait, dont suppose you remember were you able to go online on your phone while there or was it too captivating?

I didn't try but I do know that if you left during the show at any stage you weren't allowed back in until the interval. (You were allowed to stand at the back but weren't permitted back to your seat). Presumably because Derren doesn't you messing with his mind jiu jitsu! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stuart_cummins

Today's the day, good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

radiata wrote: »
    I'd just put the country code down as 353. When calling from Canada it's 011353 (like in USA) not 00353 from most other countries

I thought this application goes directly to Canadian embassy in London ???????

Would +353 87******* not be the safest option.???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭sjapok

For anyone who wants to convert their word documents to PDF, microsoft have a free downloadable add-in. For example just install the following file if you have office 2007:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9943

Now when you go to File--> Save as there will be an option to save as pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

For anyone having the previous participation WTN/Date issue, I know someone mentioned that you could email USIT for your WTN (apologies I can't remember who but possibly Skalragg or hippoparty).

I did this last night at about 7pm and just had a reply with my WTN and date of approval. Would suggest getting WTN from them if anyone is unsure about the date issue. WTN (I would think) is a safer bet.

sjapok wrote: »
    For anyone who wants to convert their word documents to PDF, microsoft have a free downloadable add-in. For example just install the following file if you have office 2007:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9943

Now when you go to File--> Save as there will be an option to save as pdf.

Are we supposed to do that? They accept .doc I thought I seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭sjapok

Are we supposed to do that? They accept .doc I thought I seen it?

They do accept word docs, I just noticed that a few pages back someone recommended some type of third party software to convert .doc to .pdf instead of the basic microsoft add-in.

Leave your resume as .docx if you want!

Thank you! ^^

By the way, anyone that wants to do that, if you're converting .doc, you very likely have Microsoft Word. You can save the format in .pdf within that program. File/save as/.pdf done.

What's the chances that there's over 3850 people sitting at 8pm ready to press submit? The fear is starting to set in!

Sloth89 wrote: »
    What's the chances that there's over 3850 people sitting at 8pm ready to press submit? The fear is starting to set in!

I know my stomach is in a constant state of butterflies every time I think about it. :o

I have lots of ideas for and against higher demand. I just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Gonna wait until the second round as my passport has just over a year of being valid.Gonna apply for a new one today

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Galaxy191

So I've just been to get photos taken for the visa. The girl taking them stamped and then dated (handwritten) the back of the 2 photos. I've never seen this requirement before, but she said that's what she usually does for the Canadian visas.
    She seemed to know her stuff...but I'm panicking a bit that if she wasn't supposed to do that my application will be rejected :(:(

Can anyone shed some light on whether this is okay?? Also the photos are quite big - although we followed the size requirements given on the IEC website so I presume they are correct.

Apologies if this has been answered before. We've been so long waiting now that I cant remember what I have read where over the previous few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

seamus1980 wrote: »
    Gonna wait until the second round as my passport has just over a year of being valid.Gonna apply for a new one today

Use passport express in your local post office. That's the quickest option right now.

Advertisement