Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to level up at street fighter?

Options
  • 26-03-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hey guys (and girls...?) I don't really post here or go to your events (yet :P), but I am a long time lurker. Anyway, I seem to have reached a sort of impasse in sf so have come in search of wisdom from some people who don't suck as hard as me at this game :D

Long story short, I main Chun (that was my first mistake), and I play a couple of times a week, but no matter what I'm always stuck at about 1000pp (yes, I've hit a very very low ceiling :rolleyes:). I generally know most of the match ups, and Chun is not really a heavy execution character so I don't tend to drop combos that much - it's more like I just get jumped in on for free lot, and then make bad decisions when I start to lose the life-lead and panic haha.

I know it's hard to give advice without seeing someone play, and it might be just that I will always suck at fighting games - but I was just wondering if any of you had any thoughts on things you did that pushed your game from 1000s - 2000, 2000 - 3000 etc? Or maybe I should just learn Cammy... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

kisaragi wrote: »
    Or maybe I should just learn Cammy... :(

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Watch the pros. Look up some top chun players and see what they do in certain situations for punishes, optimal combos, escapes, use of meter etc.

Chun isnt an easy character to use and not one of the stronger characters in SF4 but she does have her good match ups and can a win on her day. It will take a LOT of losses before you get to a level you want.

Look up some chun vids on YouTube and if you struggle against certain characters then look up that match up itself. This is a fast way of learning. Dont just watch for the hype of the match but learn from what they do. There was lots of good chuns but most have disappeared.

Chuns execution is hard especially to do her max damage combos like legs loops. You should try a secondary as well. Maybe Ryu or Cammy but I'd recommend Ryu since he's always the character to learn SF with and since Cammy may get the nerf bat and you could waste your time with her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

1) Listen to Hound. He is wise.

2) Come to an event or casuals. They are run regularly. Its a relaxed atmosphere and the players there are usually more han happy to help new people out if they want to know anything - unless your name is Azza.

There are also match up threads on srk and the likes, plus loads of videos on YT. My guess is you are hitting the ceiling you are hitting cause your opponents are using tech you are not familiar with and you need to figure out what to do and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭albel nox

rare candy

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

I'm gonna suggest the fundamental approach. Train wisely. If you get hit, try to understand why you get hit - what were you doing wrong? How did your opponent get the hit in? Was it because they had a read on you? Is there a pattern they're falling under that you can exploit, or are they smart enough to act like they are so as to bait a punishable action from you?

Understand the opponent on an honest level. That's what you should aim for in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

Hey guys (and girls...?)

Its nice that even though there's only 2/3 three girls i know involved in the scene we are not forgotten. :P

Also, as a non-player, i'm wondering how useful it is investing a huge ammount of time in a particular character with a patch coming out sometime in the not severely distant future? Wouldn't working on solid fundamentals be of more use?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

You can't really work on your fundamentals without investing time into a single character and getting to know their normals, spacing in different matchups etc. If you're just learning them because they're top tier then maybe. It'll be a long while before the patch is out though anyway I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Thanks everyone! I've read plenty of srk and watch lots of matches (I probably watch more than I play haha), I guess I struggle in putting the things I see/read into practice myself. It's like I know a lot in theory, but in reality I just stress out and play badly :/

Hopefully I can come to an event or two after April :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Thanks everyone! I've read plenty of srk and watch lots of matches (I probably watch more than I play haha), I guess I struggle in putting the things I see/read into practice myself. It's like I know a lot in theory, but in reality I just stress out and play badly :/

Hopefully I can come to an event or two after April :)

If your problem is cracking under pressure then coming out to play will really help, you never get rid of your nerves completely, but you do learn to manage them.

Also I think it's also important to listen to people who're playing you who are good at the game. You might be picking the wrong things up from the good players (like, for example, sometimes it looks like Poongko is doing an unsafe DP when actually he's usually doing an option select with FADC, because seth is ridiculous). Watching that without knowing about Option Selects would lead you to believe he's just constantly guessing. A nice player may give you hints as he's playing you, try to pick up on them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hey guys (and girls...?) I don't really post here or go to your events (yet :P), but I am a long time lurker. Anyway, I seem to have reached a sort of impasse in sf so have come in search of wisdom from some people who don't suck as hard as me at this game :D

Long story short, I main Chun (that was my first mistake), and I play a couple of times a week, but no matter what I'm always stuck at about 1000pp (yes, I've hit a very very low ceiling :rolleyes:). I generally know most of the match ups, and Chun is not really a heavy execution character so I don't tend to drop combos that much - it's more like I just get jumped in on for free lot, and then make bad decisions when I start to lose the life-lead and panic haha.

I know it's hard to give advice without seeing someone play, and it might be just that I will always suck at fighting games - but I was just wondering if any of you had any thoughts on things you did that pushed your game from 1000s - 2000, 2000 - 3000 etc? Or maybe I should just learn Cammy... :(

I went from 1000 to 2000 by looking at my characters strengths and weaknesses, learning what normals and specials to use in different situation. I went from 2000 to 3000+ by learning spacing and not putting myself in stupid situations.

I'd learn Ryu if I were you. He is a great character to learn as you'll pick up alot of fundamentals while doing so.

Also, watch this playlist. Multiple times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFZqGjPEefw&playnext=1&list=PL744144A71C67D816&feature=results_main

Come to casuals. Also, get online and start playing people here. We can all give advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I'm gonna add my voice to the "come along to casuals" choir. I'm really new and pretty **** at the game but I went along to saturday casuals and the guys gave me good advice as I was going along. Even the very act of playing against better players will improve your play. By the end of the night I was doing way less stupid **** simply because against these guys I couldn't get away with it; I either got a handle on making stupid mistakes or got perfected. I still got bodied horribly but it certainly improved my play and that was just one session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Ask Chunkis.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I will definitely try to make it to casuals in the near future! Hopefully you can all beat some of my terrible habits out of me haha :p I had a major losing streak today - while I get completely outplayed by some of the really good players, I also know that with more average players I pretty much killed myself by doing unsafe things either out of desperation or because I lose patience haha.

If anyone wants to get a few points off me or play endless I'm on xbox -kisaragi89.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Don't play Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Valormeer

Switch too T-Hawk and ultra one Fools online :P

Update: Just got my first salty hatemail online... must be getting better :P

Advertisement