Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laying grass seed in stoney soil. cousin messed garden up, need info

• 26-03-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭

Ive a back garden about 20x15m i need reseeded and would like some info on what to do next.

I had some pigs on it last year and they made a mess of it so i thought id tidy it up this year. The land was abit dampish so i thought id put some drainage pipe/stones etc to drain it better for a nice lawn this year. My cosin said he'd do it seeing as he had a mini digger for the weekend so i left him at it.

This area had good topsoil over the top but when my cousin was doing the work he didnt scrape the soil off and relay it after the pipes went in. No, he just dug everything up and now the soil is all mixed in with alot of small and big stones after he spread it all out again once he was finished laying the pipes. I could kill him for doing this but he done it for free
    so i had to bite my lip :(

Ive been trying to rake them all out but theres no end insight :( Ive managed to get most of the large stones out but anytime i rake the soil, theres still plenty of small stones.

Im wanting to know can i just go ahead and lay new grass seed even thou theres quite alot of stones still mixed with the soil. If i can, how much grass seed will i need and is there anything else i can add to make it grow quicker.

Im going to leave the garden for a week to settle, then give it a light rake and lay double the grass seed that i need so i have no problems with bald patches.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Ive a back garden about 20x15m i need reseeded and would like some info on what to do next.

I had some pigs on it last year and they made a mess of it so i thought id tidy it up this year. The land was abit dampish so i thought id put some drainage pipe/stones etc to drain it better for a nice lawn this year. My cosin said he'd do it seeing as he had a mini digger for the weekend so i left him at it.

This area had good topsoil over the top but when my cousin was doing the work he didnt scrape the soil off and relay it after the pipes went in. No, he just dug everything up and now the soil is all mixed in with alot of small and big stones after he spread it all out again once he was finished laying the pipes. I could kill him for doing this but he done it for free
    so i had to bite my lip :(

Ive been trying to rake them all out but theres no end insight :( Ive managed to get most of the large stones out but anytime i rake the soil, theres still plenty of small stones.

Im wanting to know can i just go ahead and lay new grass seed even thou theres quite alot of stones still mixed with the soil. If i can, how much grass seed will i need and is there anything else i can add to make it grow quicker.

Im going to leave the garden for a week to settle, then give it a light rake and lay double the grass seed that i need so i have no problems with bald patches.

Fecks sake 20 X 15 meters is huge... come on you would have that raked in no length. Why the hell were you not there when your friend was doing this? I would put down the seeds, put on a good shot of 0:10:20 and roll it to put down some of the small stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Fecks sake 20 X 15 meters is huge... come on you would have that raked in no length. Why the hell were you not there when your friend was doing this? I would put down the seeds, put on a good shot of 0:10:20 and roll it to put down some of the small stones.

Ive been raking it for 2 days already :( Ive most of the large ones out but theres small ones right throgh the soil. Everytime i rake it im bringing more stones up. Id be here all spring if im to get them all out

What do you mean when you say a good shot of 0:10:20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

newbie2013 wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say a good shot of 0:10:20

0 10 20 (0 Nitrogen, 10 Phosphate, 20 Potassium) - its a artificial fertilizer. You will get in any farmers coop.

0 10 20 (0 Nitrogen, 10 Phosphate, 20 Potassium) - its a artificial fertilizer. You will get in any farmers coop.

Is it expensive and how much will i need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement