Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports Dots on UPC

• 26-03-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭

Sky Sports 1 - 4 on UPC have an image of 10 dots on the bottom right hand of the screen.

Sky Sports on Sky does not have this image/dog - an anti-pirating move perhaps ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Do you mean the UPC DOG that is on the commercial feeds of Sky Sports in some areas? I've noticed that in some pubs alright though it seems to be a very recent thing. Never noticed anything on the domestic feeds. Worth noting that both the domestic and commercial feeds of Sky Sports on satellite have sported anti-piracy devices for some time now - the commercial feed carries a "pint glass" DOG (to ensure pubs are using the correct feed) while the domestic feed sometimes sports the customer's viewing card number (which I presume is actually generated by the STB).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

icdg wrote: »
    Do you mean the UPC DOG that is on the commercial feeds of Sky Sports in some areas? I've noticed that in some pubs alright though it seems to be a very recent thing. Never noticed anything on the domestic feeds.

I haven't seen the UPC dog on commercial feeds - I was viewing a domestic feed - the 'Dog' - the small dots in the lower right hand side - remain there this evening - I don't recall seeing them there prior to yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, I saw this too recently; a row of horizontal white dots in the bottom right corner. Didn't check last night if it was still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

For the first time today Ive seen them stamp the viewing card number on screen. Typically though unlike Sky its not done discreetly, and instead is stamped in big ugly numbers on the top of the screen. Ridiculous nonsense; I dont pay €35 a month to have some on screen rubbish printed on the screen...

djimi wrote: »
    For the first time today Ive seen them stamp the viewing card number on screen. Typically though unlike Sky its not done discreetly, and instead is stamped in big ugly numbers on the top of the screen. Ridiculous nonsense; I dont pay €35 a month to have some on screen rubbish printed on the screen...

Sounds like another case of DRM only impacting legitimate viewers. Pirates would most likely use illegal means to stream the channel anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The idea no doubt is they see the card number on the stream, that comes from the related box, and then this allows them to disable the card pretty much straight away, therefore killing the stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

Are these definitely some anti-pirating measure? Noticed them in the last few days and now I'm all curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

dohboy wrote: »
    Are these definitely some anti-pirating measure? Noticed them in the last few days and now I'm all curious.

Yeah Sky do it also.

Ugh... now the card number is appearing in big numbers at the top-right hand side of the screen (in addition to the small dots at the bottom right). Why is this appearing if I'm a paying Sky Sports subscriber and UPC are legally broadcasting the channel? It looks incredibly unprofessional.

I explained it above - it's so they see what numbers appear on the stream and then they can cut that viewing card number off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

devnull wrote: »
    I explained it above - it's so they see what numbers appear on the stream and then they can cut that viewing card number off.

Thats not the point he is making. I for one agree. I dont pay a huge subscription to have big numbers sprawled across the screen..

So you are happy to pay higher bills yes?

Because that is the end result of piracy, the more people who stream things online and watch streams the less people who subscribe, the less people who pay subscriptions the higher price the rest of us pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

But they could probably zoom the image or change the aspect ratio and the numbers wont appear on the stream

Ah, so it's related to online re-streaming? Thats' the bit I didn't understand.

Still not happy with it though. There are other ways to shut down those illegally re-streaming content, without pissing off those who are paying for the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's been on Sky via satellite for ages, lads. I'm guessing UPC have had their feed switched or else have had extra conditions imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

So you are happy to pay higher bills yes?

Because that is the end result of piracy, the more people who stream things online and watch streams the less people who subscribe, the less people who pay subscriptions the higher price the rest of us pay.

Rubbish, If twice as many people subscribed the price would be the exact same.

Rubbish, If twice as many people subscribed the price would be the exact same.

Yeah, that's unfortunately true.

Once they have enough subscribers to cover their costs, the end price is set by how much they think the subscribers are willing to pay. It no longer has any link/relationship to their costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sky is way over priced for what you are getting.

Refuse to give them a penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

UPC have just recently changed the terms and conditions to:
    Also certain TV providers require a unique identifier to be placed on some of their events. We have highlighted the exact changes being made to your terms and conditions please refer to the attachments below to see the amendments being made.

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TsarBomba

I've been noticing that my remote freezes when on Sky Sports and a 13 digit number appears beside the Sky Sports logo occasionally and goes away when I press the UPC button. Anyone else finding this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭G-unit10

Thread a bit old now I know but am I right in saying that the dots mean the match or programme is available in HD? The dots do not appear on the HD channel. The number is obviously for a different reason as above.

Advertisement