Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax on house being renovated

Options
  • 26-03-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

We recently bought a run down house and are about to start renovations on it so that it can be habitable. During this time, all services will be disconnected and the place will be a building site.

Are we required to pay property tax during the renovations? It will not be completed by May 2013.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If its not habitable i would imagine you would be exempt until it is habitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

The LPT is payable for the last 6 months of this year.
    If the house is going to be habitable before the end of the year, I would have thought that you are liable for this year.

It would be best to write or ring Revenue when you get your return in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I'd imagine you are liable. Certainly for the household charge the definition of uninhabitable was quite strict.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does it have an electricity supply (used or otherwise).
    Does it have a water supply (used or otherwise).

If there is electricity to the site- and plumbing too, good luck trying to get out of paying the tax.

Advertisement