Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowed resources in HAREC CEPT Irish exam

Options
  • 26-03-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭

hi,

I'm reading "Advance! The Full Licence Manual" by RSGB and the Author of the book often mentions that formulas, band plans, licencing conditions booklets and other valuable materials are made available for candidates during an exam. Is that the case in Ireland as well or do I have to memorize them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

maybe I wasn't clear enough - I'm talking about HAM exam in Ireland? Surely someone from here would know...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Email the IRTS.
    http://www.irts.ie/cgi/index.cgi

They run the exams.

thanks, I looked up their facebook page. If anyone else is interested - no materials are available

• Registered Users Posts: 4 coinshooter

i think you can download test papers from older exams held in the past, just to give you an idea of what they are looking for
    in the exam. just relying on memory wont be enough i'm afraid, as you need a good understanding of the principles of radio
    operation and practices. you will need to know a lot of the formulas applied in the advanced manual as you will be applying these in your exam. all in all get to know your electronics the internet is your friend and there is some good web sites with online mock exams so you can keep track of your progress.

i was lucky enough in that in my area there was a class one night a week based on all above and i passed the exam back in 2007, see if you can join a club and you will be put in the right direction. Best of luck

thanks, I have the sample exam paper, syllabus, couple of books from RSGB, I even found a software you can install on your PC and it does a mock exam, again based on RSGB question bank. Feeling pretty confident at the moment that I have all the guns I need, just those band plans and formulas don't want to stay in my head... It takes a busy work week and my mind is wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

there are a bunch of online ham test sites.

OK, they're not Eire specific, but it's all radio, right?

the band allocations will be slightly different, along with power outputs etc, but all the techy/propagation stuff will be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4 coinshooter

i remember when i was doing the course, the course instructor had a copy of a question bank from the new zealand amateur web site, there are 600 questions in all and were very much the same layout as the Irish one and he used to test
    us on this here is the link to the pdf that you can download from the site and also a lot of good information there as well

http://www.nzart.org.nz/assets/exam/NZART_Questionbank_13022013.pdf

Advertisement