Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a 4th gun?

Options
  • 26-03-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

So i want to get another gun, a .22 as i sold mine 2 years ago and miss it now. I have a big 8 gun safe in and upstaris wardrobe. What do i have to do/get to meet the requirements for a 4th gun?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

house alarm will be required once you go over 3 guns in one safe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Minimum standards are ;
    Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558, and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

Further requirements might be necessary depending on what your Super deems appropriate.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

can i not just alarm the room the guns are in or the safe its self?

The problem is in the wording. It says the place in which the firearms are to be kept shall be alarmed. That could mean the safe, the room or the house. It also says the external doors shall be locked with appropriate locks. This could be the locks to the roo the safe is in, locks on the doors on the house, etc.

It's a crap answer but it really is up to the Super. Locks on the room, and an alarm on either the room or safe may suffice. However the Super might demand a full house alarm. Remember these are only minimum standards.

I would definitely alarm the safe, and install locks on the door to the room the safe is stored in. Then approach your FO, show him what you have done, and see if that suffices. As it's done it might be okay, but if not and he wants more well this would have needed to be done anyway.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Sh*te... I never heard of that 4th gun rule.. Im going for my forth soon.. bugger
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Steve012 wrote: »
    Sh*te... I never heard of that 4th gun rule.. Im going for my forth soon.. bugger
    :(
    Here is the minimum legal

[307]
    SCHEDULE
    (1) (2) (3)
    Type and number of firearms Secure accommodation standard
    1 One non-restricted shot-gun. The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part
    shall be stored securely and separately when not in
    use.
    The trigger housing shall be secured against use
    with an appropriate trigger lock.
    2 One restricted firearm or Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe
    three or fewer non-restricted which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be
    firearms. securely fixed to a solid structure.
    3 Two restricted firearms, or Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which
    more than three non-restricted complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely
    firearms. fixed to a solid structure.
    The place in which the firearms are stored shall
    have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the
    place shall be fitted with locks which comply with
    BS 3621.
    4 Three or more restricted In addition to the standards specified at reference
    firearms or six or more number 3, the place in which the firearms are
    firearms, of any type, kept in stored shall have an intruder alarm system,
    the same place. installed and maintained by installers licensed by
    the Private Security Authority, which complies
    with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard
    approved by the Commissioner of the Garda

́
    ocha
    ́
    na.
    The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring
    service, operated by a person licensed by the
    Private Security Authority, and supported with
    GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling
    facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

right what does that mean? bit confussed. can i just allarm the room and put locks on the doors? what sort of alarm are peope using?

As said above alarm the room, and then see your FO. As a mi imum it is needed anyway so no harm to do it.

As for types of alarms. They can be sourced form local merchants or even Argos to make sure that when the door or window is touched/forced an alarm sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

Was in the station earlyer to find out that the FO has retired 4 days ago and there isn't anyone taken his place yet so licences are done by which ever garda takes in the foarm, so got to talking about getting the room alarmed and showed him a pic of a alarm on ebay. He said that this alarm is 100% ok to install and that he is happy with it. Should i go ahead and buy and install it or wait until there is a new FO assigned???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Was in the station earlyer to find out that the FO has retired 4 days ago and there isn't anyone taken his place yet so licences are done by which ever garda takes in the foarm, so got to talking about getting the room alarmed and showed him a pic of a alarm on ebay. He said that this alarm is 100% ok to install and that he is happy with it. Should i go ahead and buy and install it or wait until there is a new FO assigned???

I would advise you to wait until a new FO is assigned. Go ahead with it if you want but don't be surprised if it is a long frustrating process as 99% of members have zero experience and nothing to do with firearms licensing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Original poster; go and meet with you firearms officer and see what he says.

My local Superintentdant (whom I met in person about a fourth gun) says in his district that a GSM alarm is fine, he even told me the one that would do.
    It is a PIR sensor with monitoring combined. The sensor he said would only have to alert members of my households mobiles when someone tampers with the safe.

I met him in relation to a 4th gun, and this is what he requested. So again, meet with you local FO and see what he says. You may or may not need to install a monitored house alarm, a sensor like I stated above might do. Plus they are grand and cheap :D yet very effective.

Advertisement