Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 year old killed by pack of dogs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

The poor girl....her death must have been horrendous. Don't understand why anyone would have (at least) 5 dogs cooped up in a house....it was bound to lead to frustrations!

There's a guy in Cork, who regularly walks around with bull mastiffs off lead (and he walks minimum 4 dogs together) - it's really scary. They seem well behaved, but are huge and you never know when the pack mentality will take over. I really don't understand how he's allowed get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I don't understand, he walks four well behaved dogs-what's the problem?

That poor girl, what a horrific death for anyone. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The poor girl....her death must have been horrendous. Don't understand why anyone would have (at least) 5 dogs cooped up in a house....it was bound to lead to frustrations!

There's a guy in Cork, who regularly walks around with bull mastiffs off lead (and he walks minimum 4 dogs together) - it's really scary. They seem well behaved, but are huge and you never know when the pack mentality will take over. I really don't understand how he's allowed get away with it.
    Get away with what? Walking 4 dogs? There's no law against it.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I don't understand, he walks four well behaved dogs-what's the problem?

That poor girl, what a horrific death for anyone. RIP.

The problem (for me alone, TillyGirl),is he doesn't have 2 of the dogs on leads. They are huge and I (and this is my personal feeling), don't particularly trust dogs, any dogs in a pack.

That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Th pack mentality usually takes over when people start sounding like reverend lovejoys' wife. "won't somebody DO something rabble rabble" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

The problem (for me alone, TillyGirl),is he doesn't have 2 of the dogs on leads. They are huge and I (and this is my personal feeling), don't particularly trust dogs, any dogs in a pack.

That's all.

You're entitled to feel that way obviously but that's your problem. It doesn't mean he's doing anything wrong.

He's not breaking any laws and the dogs are well behaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Depends on if the breed is on the control of dogs act, if they're bull mastiffs they probably are.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    You're entitled to feel that way obviously but that's your problem. It doesn't mean he's doing anything wrong.

He's not breaking any laws and the dogs are well behaved.

You are so right....I did not post to rile anybody here. I was only commenting on the pack mentality of dogs, which I think happened in the case of the girl killed. I happened to be walking in Ballinlough Park recently and the dogs in question were being walked....it was a little disconcerting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

That's all.

Are they muzzled as they are obliged to be by law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You are so right....I did not post to rile anybody here. I was only commenting on the pack mentality of dogs, which I think happened in the case of the girl killed. I happened to be walking in Ballinlough Park recently and the dogs in question were being walked....it was a little disconcerting.
    But what were the dogs doing to bother you or make you feel like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

If he has the dogs off lead in a public park where other people are walking, kids playing and other dogs being walked on a lead its wrong full stop.

I keep mine on a lead in public at all times the amount of dogs off the lead in Cork is a joke.I have my fella on the lead and I have to worry in case a dog would attack my fella.

If you want your dog off the lead bring him to a field where he's safe and others are.

andreac..... In answer to your question, as I said, it was the fact that they were not on a lead made me feel uncomfortable. (This may not be everybody's viewpoint, but it is mine...alone). There were 4 dogs, 2 unleashed - I do think that IF (and I stress IF), any dog decided he wanted to do something other than walk around the park ie run, The man would find it difficult to control the others. I really hope you can understand my viewpoint.

vicwatson....2 dogs were muzzled (one of the unleashed ones, and one of the guys one a lead)

dave1982....thanks for the thumbs up. Am a dog owner myself, but would not dream of letting her off the lead near a childrens' playground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Important here is human life was taken by dogs. This is wrong. Dogs on restricted breed kist or strains of should be on lead in public muzzled with short lead by an adult. This incident happened in england so english police did what was right in their duristiction as in kill dogs. But again parents of a 14 yr old are heart broken and takk of breed or dog ownet is irrelevant too them...

john t wrote: »
    Important here is human life was taken by dogs. This is wrong. Dogs on restricted breed kist or strains of should be on lead in public muzzled with short lead by an adult. This incident happened in england so english police did what was right in their duristiction as in kill dogs. But again parents of a 14 yr old are heart broken and takk of breed or dog ownet is irrelevant too them...

Thanks for that john t.....well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

ye human life is more important. some people who are not parents may look at it differently. irish laws shoud be inforced with more force..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It is interesting to note, however, that in this case, and indeed in each other case referred to in the article, that (a) none of the dogs are banned in the jurisdiction in which they lived, ie the UK (and only 2 of the 4 breeds mentioned in this article are on Ireland's Restricted Breed list), and (b) none of the attacks happened in a place where any dog is required to wear muzzle or lead, under either Irish or UK law, because in each case, and indeed almost every case of fatalities caused by dog attacks, the attacks occurred in the dogs' own homes.
    So, if this trend is the dominant one, and I believe it to be, then no existing dog control law, no matter how strictly enforced, will actually stop people getting killed.
    The fact also remains that deaths by dog attacks remain exceptionally rare, but they do tend to make the headlines.

All of this notwithstanding, deepest sympathies to poor Jade and her family. A dreadful tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My friend's mastiff is much, much less likely to snap at someone, or other dogs, than my terriers. Not that him having them on lead would make much difference; if a 65/70kg mastiff wants to go somewhere then a lead is going to make zero difference.

Even in their own homes, which is where this attack took place?

This attack is another example of poorly trained dogs. I've seen similar behaviour from other breeds, and thought that it was only a matter of time before someone got hurt. I've seen a gif recently of a baby pulling a bowl of food away from a GSD, but people don't see the inherent danger of that because it's 'cute'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9955558/Girl-14-found-dead-in-house-full-of-aggressive-and-out-of-control-dogs-in-Wigan.html

How sad, that poor girl. Thinking of her family. The dogs must really have been very out of control considering 4 had to be shot.

'Must really have been out of control'!?!?

Seriously?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The ignorance of some people when a thread like this pops up is mind blowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Seriously?

What's the problem? Il saying it as in it must have been a case of very viscous dogs and not some tragedy caused by over excitedness or anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What's the problem? Il saying it as in it must have been a case of very viscous dogs and not some tragedy caused by over excitedness or anything like that.

Sorry but you weren't there, you don't know what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Seriously?

Unfortunately I think the fact that the police had to shoot the dogs at the property, rather than take them away shows that they were out of control. There were 5 dogs there, 4 were shot by trained firearms officers, one is now in kennels, being assessed I guess, and being judged for type.

It is a horrendous thing that has happened, but until the full story is known, I hope that the media and the 'think about the children' brigade don't go completely over the top

A few years ago in London a rottweiler was shot by police in the street as he was attacking his elderly owner. A full investigation later showed that the man was having a fit, and the dog wasn't attacking him at all, but was trying to drag him, probably to somewhere safe in the dog's mind. So until the investigation is completed, I think people should consider what they say.

Notwithstanding that, my sympathies obviously are with the poor girl and her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Horribly sad and tragic - RIP to the poor girl.

I watched a news report on it this morning and it is a strange one. The dogs were in the back yard(which looked about the size of a postage stamp). There was a high fence and gate with a sign 'beware of the dog'. Neighbours were saying the dogs would have always barked and attacked the fence at passers by. Jade went into the back yard - none of the family who owned the dogs were home. She had a meat pie in her hand. They went for the food and then got her by the throat.

Can't understand why the gate wasnt locked to deter anyone going in or why the poor girl felt it was safe to enter. also cant understand why someone would have five dogs, particularly large ones, cooped up in such a small space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Melion wrote: »

A child died.....That is what happened and no I was not there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

In fairness to the OP that's the headline the telegraph states "Girl-14-found-dead-in-house-full-of-aggressive-and-out-of-control-dogs-in-Wigan"

Dreadfull to hear this story, the loss of a young persons life in such a horrorible way.

From reading the story as an animal, it's not as if dogs know right from wrong just pack instinct, the dogs saw themselves at a higher level in their territory to the visitor, she had food one of the dogs wantted it and the dogs believering that they were at a higher order than her did what any dogs fighting over food or turf do, though prob nothing to do with the food.

IMO the problem lies completly on the owner, dogs are animals and pets not people ie equal to people. The usual retort is dogs are to blame or specific breeds (different dogs have different traits) without taking into account the owner aka the dogs master. Before dogs start being banned and chipped, maybe it's actually the owners that need the licence for a dog, to prove they can take care off, control and understand the hierarchical level that a dog must be in, and that they're competent to take care of the animal. IMO the owner is responsible for the death of this girl, and unless a case is taken against the owner, this kind of thing will keep happening, for example if my dog wanders onto the road and gets knocked down, I have to pay for any damage to the car but if my dog kills someone the dog is to blame and put down.

I don't want to derail the thread, I can't imagine what her family is going through.

--
    just read "westies4ever" post, didn't know that, thought the owners where there and it happened inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Melion wrote: »

I know I wasn't there, but a little girl died and 4 dogs had to be shot. I would imagine shooting a dog would not be something taken lightly. Especially since one of the dogs wasn't shot, the 4 that were must have been very out of control, if not, why wouldn't they just take the 5 of them for assessment. Still at the end of the day the only person who knows what truely happened is gone, my heart really goes out to that poor girl :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Tomk1 wrote: »
    In fairness to the OP that's the headline the telegraph states "Girl-14-found-dead-in-house-full-of-aggressive-and-out-of-control-dogs-in-Wigan"

she had food one of the dogs wantted it and the dogs believering that they were at a higher order than her did what any dogs fighting over food or turf do, though prob nothing to do with the food.

Killing a human being is not "what any dogs fighting over food or turf do".
    It is NOT normal behaviour. If they killed her then yes they were out of her control and they turned out to be out of the police's control too.

Advertisement