Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lapse in house training in a four year old dog.

• 26-03-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Our four year old male dog peed in the house for the first time in years last night. He is fully house trained, is outside for most of the day and gets to go outside to do his business last thing at night before we go to bed at around 11. Is there any reason why he had a lapse in house training or is could this just be a momentary blip?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Is he on any meds? Steroids make them thirsty and accidents may happen. Happened to our dog when he was on meds, he was SO embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Derinda

Nope, not on meds. It's just so out of the blue for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Might be a one off. If continues maybe a trip to the vet?

Hopefully just a one off paultf, but if it happens again will definitely bring him to the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Does he seem to be affected by the awful weather recently, perhaps he's not as regular as he spends more time indoors than he normally would? Our chap is very homely, doesn't like to spend time outside if it's nasty and so he asks to be let out at various times he wouldn't before. Like 4 in the morning today...

• Advertisement

mhge wrote: »
    Does he seem to be affected by the awful weather recently, perhaps he's not as regular as he spends more time indoors than he normally would? Our chap is very homely, doesn't like to spend time outside if it's nasty and so he asks to be let out at various times he wouldn't before. Like 4 in the morning today...

The weather might be a factor alright, but it just seemed so odd that he peed within minutes of coming in last night - maybe it was just too cold outside for him to go! I'll be leaving him out in a little while and I'll begin operation pee watch when he comes in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Is going much throughout the day and is there more than normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭montzarella

keep an eye, might be a wee kidney infection or something.

mine are very precious and dont like the cold or rain, i have to watch one of them in particular when i put them out to pee as he sometimes just stands on the back door step and doesnt go out on the lawn to pee at all. i have to go out and tell him to pee, he'll go then reluctantly and pees like a race horse!

Thankfully there were no accidents last night - might just have been a one off blip and while he's not going more than usual and it seems to be the same volume I'll keep an eye on him anyway. If it happens again in the next few days, we're off to the vet for a check up.

Advertisement