Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to california with friends on a holiday visa.

Options
  • 27-03-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

My friends are going to Santa Monica for the summer on J1 visas due to my decision to drop out of college I obviously can't get a J1 Visa. I'm looking to go with them on a holiday Visa for about 8 weeks roughl7 and I have a eligable Esta from last year. We have university accommodation lined up. I'm a little concerned that immigration will be suspicious of me going for quite a long period staying with friends who will probably be working. I'm going to provide a letter of employment for my impending return to Ireland, a photocopy of my 2013 CAO application. I have been working for the past 5 months so I have quite a good bit of money saved plus my parents are going to transfer money into my account, so I can show a bank statment which should show I have enough to support myself in the US without working.
    I've also been to the US 5 times with my family over the past 6 years, only statying for 2-3 week durations respectively. Any Advice or guidance on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Just make sure you don't walk through immigration with them maybe, and perhaps it would be a good idea to book a hotel as your first address given. If you stay there for one night then it's not a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Jogathon wrote: »
    Just make sure you don't walk through immigration with them maybe, and perhaps it would be a good idea to book a hotel as your first address given. If you stay there for one night then it's not a lie.

the 2 guys im travelling with hold american passports so there should be no issue there, my return flight will be 8 weeks from the date would a hotel be a sufficent address, hardly realistic id stay in a hotel for 8 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

No but they expect a lot of people who travel for a long time will travel around and stay at different places, but if you have nothing to show for your first few nights that can look sketchy. I would also bring proof of any plans you make during the trip. Any amusement/entertainment tickets you have, or internal flights, just to show that you are going there to travel for 8 weeks and not carry out any illegal activity (i.e. work or overstay the visa).

Other than that, it sounds like you have everything. Make sure you organize the ESTA visa waiver (or necessary visa) also.

what's the deal with car insurance in the states? I understand renting a car is not possible but the only plausible solution is to buy cheap car. How does one go about insuring it and how expensive would a quote be roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Why couldn't you rent a car?
    Buying a car is practically impossible unless you live there, as you need insurance and do get that you need a drivers license.

• Advertisement

do you not have to be 25 to rent a car in the states. im only 20 and got my licsence last november.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.danindudlin

You can rent a car, you'll just pay ALOT more for insurance.

Usually when I hire a car here I use other insurance that I get independently and I just decline the hire car insurance. You might need to check with the company you're using. I use allianz and its costs me $9 (I'm 31) a day but it looks like its $12 a day if you're 20. I'd read all the fine print

http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/aa/selectaplan.aspx?001000518&Product=001000227

Advertisement