Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Danny Wellbeck tonight

• 27-03-2013 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

This might sound mad but I think his performance tonight was suspiciously bad. Mainly not getting into positions and just running away from the ball, like he was petrified of scoring. His chance on goal were he falls over instead of shooting, that happens alot when players would prefer to go down to win a pen instead of shooting if there not confident about the angle etc but there was countless times he could of shot on goal or he miss controls it it in a good position, when it was very easy to control it even for a pub player ffs.

Now hes not the most confident of players anyway but my god hes playing as a striker.
    A chance off the top of my head was around the 85th min when a ball was rolled across the edge of the box and he just let it go past him, commentator thought Danny was leaving it for someone else.
    Another chance was a little cross from Rooney(first half I think), he could of shuffled his feet and headed it but instead delays and lets it go over him.

Now either he was just intimated in that atmosphere, afraid of racial abuse if he scored and is lacking in confiidence.

Or he was threatened before the game that if he scored hed get hurt.

He cant be that a bad player can he?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think your username is very apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think your username is very apt.

Your first one to ever say that to me on boards:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Suspiciously bad, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm not a fan of his.
    I didn't see the game but I agree that he often seems to have no idea what to do with the ball once he's done well to get into the space to receive it.

Dunno about the rest but he should've had a penalty when he was booked for diving, he was run into by the defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Here he is making a hames of a simple enough skill. Ok hes a baby there but he has little to no natural ability.
    Im on a mission to dispell the myth that is Danny Wellbeck when theres far better players who never get a mention.

And he seems to be the teachers little pet there, no matter how bad he was he got as many chances and eventually became part of the MUFC family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Classic hodgey, welbeck having a mare and leaves sturridge and defoe on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Didn't see the match myself but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he probably just had a bad game, which if my Twitter feed was anything to go by was the case for virtually the whole team in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

He "is just running away from the ball" to stretch the defence, or to provide space for teammates. He may not be scoring right now, but he has those assets in his game, we've seen that in England games & last season in the PL, otherwise he wouldn't be a forward player at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Yes, he has missed sitters, lost the ball in areas that he shouldn't have, even been prone to being caught with the ball and the opposition breaking on the counter, he also has a lot of time on his side, but that time right now is spent under major pressure to do well.

Think of it this way, he's a young English player, playing for a highly rated team in a league and for a country with arguably the most scrutinous sports journalism around. I'm not saying that this definitely affects him, but you have to think it could.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Here he is making a hames of a simple enough skill. Ok hes a baby there but he has little to no natural ability.

5Ay1uymrDQluqVUMI3wBog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

This might sound mad but I think his performance tonight was suspiciously bad. Mainly not getting into positions and just running away from the ball, like he was petrified of scoring. His chance on goal were he falls over instead of shooting, that happens alot when players would prefer to go down to win a pen instead of shooting if there not confident about the angle etc but there was countless times he could of shot on goal or he miss controls it it in a good position, when it was very easy to control it even for a pub player ffs.

Now hes not the most confident of players anyway but my god hes playing as a striker.
    A chance off the top of my head was around the 85th min when a ball was rolled across the edge of the box and he just let it go past him, commentator thought Danny was leaving it for someone else.
    Another chance was a little cross from Rooney(first half I think), he could of shuffled his feet and headed it but instead delays and lets it go over him.

Now either he was just intimated in that atmosphere, afraid of racial abuse if he scored and is lacking in confiidence.

Or he was threatened before the game that if he scored hed get hurt.

He cant be that a bad player can he?

WTF???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

When you read things like the first post here you really do come the realisation that in the wrong hands the internet is a lethal instrument of destruction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

1 goal in 21 appearances. It's a joke he gets a game ahead of Hernandez but he is English so they're probably intending to move him on for thirty times his actual value or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

1 goal in 21 appearances up front would be a pretty poor return alright, but wait! Whats that? He hasnt been playing up front for all those 21 appearances???? By the beard of Odin!>!<!<!

Does he link the play well? Yep
    Does he make intelligent runs? Yep
    Is he a world class finisher? Nope
    Is he a better option then Hernandez from the left or right? Yep

His league stats aren't that bad tbh, 11 starts, 1 goal, 4 assists- generally not played as a striker, he is still developing his game and contributing to the team. Has the intelligence, discipline and ability to a do a defensive job for the team from the front also - see the CL game v Madrid and his job on Alonso.

But hey, he isn't as good at putting the ball in the back of the net as RVP or Chicha, he must be ****e

He is home grown, he has come through the ranks at the club and has shown the potential required to be a pretty good squad member for the club. Will he ever be a top class finisher? Who knows, but his role in the side is so much more then just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

He's 22 lads. 22!! You can't compare him to Chico as they are totally different strikers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

IvySlayer wrote: »
    He's 22 lads. 22!! You can't compare him to Chico as they are totally different strikers.
    Yeah one scores goals the other runs around a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Welbeck always looks awkward to me, he looks like someone who is not in control of his own legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He is very confident player, you can see that from anywhere on the pitch except in the box. Even in the box he is (sort of )confident in his ability so he tries way too many things instead of keeping it simple like Hernandez.

Second point was rubbish. Everyone though Young will put in a cross and in the last sec he just squared the ball and Welbeck wasn't expecting that pass. It was wrong move by him but the way you describe is just OTT.

He didn't have such a bad game to deserve a thread. He won the ball back many times, did very good pressing and winning the possession back and he played as LW except for last 10 mins. Same with ManUtd. Most games he plays as winger and that's one of the reason for 1 goal in some 20 starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah **** it. Can't be arsed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement