Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Pub in Dublin ?

Options
  • 27-03-2013 2:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Is Cafe En Seine the biggest pub in Dublin ?

I can't think of any other pub thats bigger.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

It would certainly be up there. Zanzibar when it was open might just be a bit bigger.

Also a lot of the superpubs out in the suburbs that were built during the boom might be bigger than Cafe en Seine. Places like the Old Mill in Tallaght. Another one might be the Wright Venue in Airside Industrial Park.

I think I heard someone converted a warehouse down Grand Canal Dock into a pub, haven't been in it but I'd say it is pretty big too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

RATM wrote: »
    It would certainly be up there. Zanzibar when it was open might just be a bit bigger.

Also a lot of the superpubs out in the suburbs that were built during the boom might be bigger than Cafe en Seine. Places like the Old Mill in Tallaght. Another one might be the Wright Venue in Airside Industrial Park.

I think I heard someone converted a warehouse down Grand Canal Dock into a pub, haven't been in it but I'd say it is pretty big too

Woodshed is big when all the areas are open like second bar upstairs. Would you count Coppers as a pub. It opens during the day.... It is probably bigger than Cafe en Seine.

Fitzsimons on Temple Bar as well. I reckon that could bigger with all the floors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the park inn (now mc gowans) in harolds cross is enormous but most of the space is closed off now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

RATM wrote: »

Do you know where this is, RATM?
    I was trying to get a drink one Saturday afternoon down around Grand Canal Dock recently and there was nowhere to go - I ended up in Ely, deeply angered by the many TV's no-one was watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mingetoad

I heard abut a place on North Wall Quay -Venue 86- but not sure if it ever took off.
    Quaalude, did you not see Ocean, Cafe H, Ferryman, Maldron Hotel? Ely usually only has the tv on when requested or for bigger matches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

quaalude wrote: »
    I was trying to get a drink one Saturday afternoon down around Grand Canal Dock recently and there was nowhere to go - I ended up in Ely, deeply angered by the many TV's no-one was watching.

dont think there is a pub like that in GC.....unless im missing something. Ely is prob the worst pub down there...hate the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

quaalude wrote: »

Yes, a kindred spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

Definitely no pub in Grand Canal dock that used to be a warehouse. As for the one mentioned on North Wall Quay, that does not sound familiar either. although I might be oblivious to them even though I live down Spencer Dock way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

The whole Diceys complex if you include Krystle and Bojangles is pretty massive.

The workman's always seemed tiny to me, but when you think of all the different rooms I'd say it adds up to quite a bit.
    http://theworkmansclub.com/index.php/spaces/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

the hole in the wall by phoenix ark. isn't that the longest pub in Europe?

howl at the moon is bigger than café en seine by floor space I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Howl at the Moon must be up there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

There's a warehouse at Grand Canal dock that has gigs and raves and whatnot. It's byob though.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    There's a warehouse at Grand Canal dock that has gigs and raves and whatnot. It's byob though.

what is it called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

liffeylite wrote: »
    the hole in the wall by phoenix ark. isn't that the longest pub in Europe?

howl at the moon is bigger than café en seine by floor space I would say

Hole in the Wall is long but narrow. Howl at the Moon is massive as well actually. Still think Fitzsimons would be up there with it. Is the Storehouse counted as a pub? Think it's all licensed. That's huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There used to be a club on the docks up from the Ferryman pub called Columbia Mills - is that the club on the docks you were thinking of?

I remember when I first came to Dublin I thought McGowans in Phibsboro was huge - havent been there in 10+ years so don't know from memory if it was actually that big?

Dragon (formerly Sosume) on South Great Georges Street is fairly big but maybe not the biggest.

Mingetoad wrote: »
    I heard abut a place on North Wall Quay -Venue 86- but not sure if it ever took off.
    Quaalude, did you not see Ocean, Cafe H, Ferryman, Maldron Hotel? Ely usually only has the tv on when requested or for bigger matches.

Thanks Mingetoad.
    Any time I have walked in to Ely, the TVs have all been on. The includes the first time I was there, when Eastenders was all on the TVs. While people were eating their dinners. Unbelievable - why would any one put up with that? I walked straight out.
    Ocean - the last time I was there, a few months ago, an enormous TV was turned on with a football match, while I was in the middle of eating. No-one was watching the match, not one person. I ate up, mentioned to the barman I thought that wasn't on, and vowed never to return.
    Cafe H - actually, we did go there after Ely for one. It has to be the most tasteless decor in Dublin - although that didn't really bother me, it was pretty funny. It was freezing though, which is less funny.
    Ferryman - we did walk in here. It stank of blocked drains. We walked straight out.
    Maldron Hotel - I don't know this one, will check it out.

I know this all makes me sound fussy.
    And yeah, maybe I am a bit fussy, but for paying, say, 6 quid, or a little more, for a glass of wine, I would like a) not to be freezing, b) not to have a telly turned on in my face when no-one is watching it except the staff and c) for it not to stink.
    This is all quite reasonable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The ferryman is actually a really nice pub, but it's a complete rip off so I rarely go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I like the Ferryman.

Downstairs can get a bit smelly depending on where you are ie near the toilets but never had an issue with upstairs.

reprazant wrote: »
    I like the Ferryman.

Downstairs can get a bit smelly depending on where you are ie near the toilets but never had an issue with upstairs.

OK. I'd never been there before, and if I get a bang of jacks off a place, I just leave, rather than trying to find a non-smelly part of the pub!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Well, the only time I had a bad smell for there was when we were downstairs by the toilets. Nowhere else in the pub have I ever had a bad smell other than from other patrons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

liffeylite wrote: »
    the hole in the wall by phoenix ark. isn't that the longest pub in Europe?...

Can't imagine thats true anymore even for Ireland. Its not that long.

Advertisement