Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby moaning/whining at night

Options
  • 27-03-2013 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Our 3 wk old has started this thing of moaning and writhing about when we put him down for a nap. He does it in his sleep as well as awake. We've tried winding him to no avail. He is mainly breastfed with the exception of a bottle of fornula before bedtime. I googled this and found lots of people saying its normal but I don't think so, he founds like he's in pain. I wonder if it could be the fornula or the type of bottle? I'm bf at the moment and gave him a drop of infacol to see if it helps. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My daughter was a moaner as well :)
    We had planned on keeping her in our room for 6 months and ended up putting her in her own at 4 because of this!! She used to be so loud!! We had to turn the sensitivity right down on the baby monitor or shed drive us mad! She grew out of it tho - she did have tummy troubles but I also think she used to just do it as a self soothing technique!
    Either way we found no way to stop it other than moving her.. If this next baby is the same we'll prob move her alot earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks girls. When both your kids were doing it, were they wriggling away too? He wriggles, kicks the feet....he looks so uncomfortable. :(

Ps... Since he took the infacol this morning he's been asleep but I've heard at least two VERY squidgy runny poos.... Not looking forward to this nappy!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't worry it is normal :)

At his age, it's probably wind/colic. You can try burp him, but that can wake him up too. Usually a moaning session for us would culminate in a few big farts, and then she'd settle again. We always found sticking a soother in would help as sucking on the soother would let her really put some effort into farting :D

It's started happening again now at 5 months, but that's cos she's teething. Again though, the soother is the lifesaver. No idea how people live(d) without them.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Thanks girls. When both your kids were doing it, were they wriggling away too? He wriggles, kicks the feet....he looks so uncomfortable. :(

Ps... Since he took the infacol this morning he's been asleep but I've heard at least two VERY squidgy runny poos.... Not looking forward to this nappy!

Yeah we used infacol all the time til about 16 weeks! She used to wriggle also - seemed unsettled but it went on so long we became sure it wasn't bothering her as she would wake content & rested! We found the soother good too - took it off her one day at five months & never gave it back... Because we're mean & I have a thing against them - but they did help her alot at the start and meant she wasn't always looking to be breast fed when she wasn't hungry ! Total life saver!

Poor mite is definitely in pAin. He falls asleep tilted on my arms but when i put him into Moses he wakes himself crying. He's just miserable. Think I'll pass on the formula and bottle tonight and stick to boob and infacol. Fingers crossed we all get some sleep tonight. I'm shattered :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It sounds like colic yellow hen. There's not much you can do except infacol/gripe water, the tiger in the tree hold, bicycle legs and perhaps keep him upright as much as possible.

It's really awful to see them like that but they do grow out of it.

Do you have a fast let down and/or an oversupply of milk? These can contribute to colic. A fast let down is where the milk comes out with force so the baby is gulping back a lot at the start of the feed.

My son had colic and I found out afterwards that mr oversupply and fast let down definitely made it worse.

It sounds like colic yellow hen. There's not much you can do except infacol/gripe water, the tiger in the tree hold, bicycle legs and perhaps keep him upright as much as possible.

It's really awful to see them like that but they do grow out of it.

Do you have a fast let down and/or an oversupply of milk? These can contribute to colic. A fast let down is where the milk comes out with force so the baby is gulping back a lot at the start of the feed.

My son had colic and I found out afterwards that mr oversupply and fast let down definitely made it worse.

Thanks how strange... I could possibly have a fast letdown I think. Is there anything i can if I have? Would the colic make him puke back some of the milk?

Maybe try letting the initial spray of milk go into a towel or something by hand expressing. Then when the milk isn't spraying out latch your son on. It's worth a try! Yes the colic could make him pukey too.

Feeding lying down is also good for a fast letdown as he's not getting the full force of the milk.

Thanks how strange... I could possibly have a fast letdown I think. Is there anything i can if I have? Would the colic make him puke back some of the milk?

My little one used to puke a bit after every feed :( I think some babies just do struggle . I hope u get some rest u poor thing :( as how strange says - and while its seems little consolation now -time seemsmtombenthe best healer - I remember thinking at 14 weeks my little one had turned a corner. It's very difficult tho. But I do think breast milk is easier to digest than formula so ur doing great and all u can do. Do try get ur OH to give an expressed bottle at night at some stage so that u can get 5-6 hrs straight sleep - it was the only way I survived - otherwise I was in tears!!!

Oh my god, I can still remember the horror of those evenings. I don't think I'll ever fully forget! But it does pass and one evening you'll realise he's quiet and content. Most of us have been there and survived and even wanted to do it all again!! So time and selective amnesia are great things! You're doing a great job.

• Advertisement

Oh girls I'm at the end of my together. He has been screaming in pain fr the last two hours. He's fed changed and I've been winding him for an hour. I cannot console him. I've sd to ung my husband o come home from work. I'm so worried there's something wrong with him. Plus his little face has come up in a pimply rash today. I feel so desperate for help now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Poor you! Don't worry about the pimples anyway; baby acne is totally normal and goes away on its own in a couple of months. My fella got it almost as soon as he was born, and tis nearly gone at 7 weeks.

More immediately, have you tried a bath to calm him down? Or sometimes I find taking mine out for a walk, even if they are roaring initially, works wonders. And getting into the bath with him or walking might also help you to cope with all of this. Best of luck!

I'll try the bath when OH gets home. I couldn't handle him wriggling on my own. He's falling asleep in my arms now. I've been giving him infacol so far,.... Is it any good? I have gripe water but he's too young for it still. He has noticeably less dirty nappies too so I think he might be constipated. I've tried doing bicycle with his legs but he is so rigid it's near impossible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I had the same with my little one yellow hen its hard going. You could try massaging the top of his head in a circular motion I don't know how this works my mil thought me this . If you can get gripe water its brilliant from 1 month my brother in law got it for me up the North. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Oh girls I'm at the end of my together. He has been screaming in pain fr the last two hours. He's fed changed and I've been winding him for an hour. I cannot console him. I've sd to ung my husband o come home from work. I'm so worried there's something wrong with him. Plus his little face has come up in a pimply rash today. I feel so desperate for help now :(

Yellowhen it sounds like cows milk protein allergy or lactose intolerance. Google it. Hope he feels better soon. Poor baba! X

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

Ah yellow hen, it really sounds like colic. It always starts in the late afternoon/early evening. Try the tiger hold; it may give him a chance to get some wind up. Just try keeping him upright in whatever position you can as it will help ease the wind.

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do really. It's nothing to do with being breast or formula fed. Some babies get it and others don't. My son did and it was a very tough first few weeks.

Don't worry about the pimples. Someone told me that breastfed babies get them a lot because they get the mothers hormones in the milk. Not sure if it's true or not but my son went through phases of being covered in them.

Thanks everyone....he's asleep now but due a feed shortly so I expect to go through the whole charade again!

How strange, I think I'm going to need to put you on speed-dial, you've been so helpful on everything!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Yellowhen it sounds like cows milk protein allergy or lactose intolerance. Google it. Hope he feels better soon. Poor baba! X

It does. We had the same problem. Go to doctor and ask for advice. If it is that then its better to know sooner than later.

Try baby massage and raising the crib a small bit. Wonder if baby has a touch of reflux... Get advice and dont leave it to chance

Any time yellow hen!

• Advertisement

CaraMay wrote: »
    It does. We had the same problem. Go to doctor and ask for advice. If it is that then its better to know sooner than later.

Try baby massage and raising the crib a small bit. Wonder if baby has a touch of reflux... Get advice and dont leave it to chance

All doctors closed now until Tuesday :( not sure what the story with the Coombe is.... i know we can go back until he is 6 weeks old but would they entertain us? I'm not sure we can deal with this for another 4 days :(

My heart breaks for you. Try cutting dairy and spicy foods out of your own diet as you are breast feeding plus keep baby away from milk based formula and see how it goes. Wind baby over your shoulder and with legs stretched and very gently. Feed as upright as possible and hold upright for half hour after feeding.

Obviously we don't know if its reflux or lactose intolerance but its worth trying these things to see if there is any improvement.

We used to put brown sugar in boiled and cooled water to help with constipation.

Are you waking him to feed him? I would let him sleep as long as he wants.

yellow hen if in doubt go back to the coombe.

yellow hen if in doubt go back to the coombe.

@cara may, no I don't wake him. Although everything I have read today says I should feed him small amounts more often. He fell asleep on the boob there a while ago and I hadn't the heart to be winding him. I'm sure I'll pay for it later!! We're going to see how we get on tonight and if he's as bad or worse we'll go to the coombe tomorrow. I'll let you know. Thanks for the advice girls, I'd be lost without boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ive no advise just hope he's bit better next time and u get some rest. My lo was collicky (bottle fed) and it was horrible sometimes with the endless crying. And like yourself had to call oh home from work. I found a tiny bit gripe water pretty good but did give my lo d runs but as your lo so young that doesnt help. Hope he's doing better later. X x

How did you get on last night op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The only thing that would work for me as my mother said when i wouldn't stop whining was a suder dipped in Irish whiskey, she said it worked a charm always. Now i'm an alco. go figure.

zenno wrote: »
    The only thing that would work for me as my mother said when i wouldn't stop whining was a suder dipped in Irish whiskey, she said it worked a charm always. Now i'm an alco. go figure.

Zenno when you have a baby who won't stop crying you would literally try anything and whiskey is not baby friendly. Op don't try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Zenno when you have a baby who won't stop frying you would literally try anything and whiskey is not baby friendly. Op don't try that.

It was a joke my dear friend. But believe it or not my mother did tell me this one day and i was even shocked.

Don't give them anything sweet before they go for a sleep, that's the magic number. Stick on coast to coast am for them little fellers at bed-time and they will be asleep snoring five minutes into it.

Frying is not the way either i must say.

• Advertisement

How did you get on last night op?

He was ok for his first two feeds but from 4am this morning it's been a disaster. He didn't want to settle in Moses and I think it's because lying was hurting him. He's asleep now but something just isn't right right him. His poo was a bit green last night too... It's usually mustard yellow. It's all so stressful... I'm just exhausted today. :(

Advertisement