Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby moaning/whining at night

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Go with your gut op. ring crumlin and get their advice on what to do. Is your. Doctor open?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Green poo is a sign of oversupply/fast let down. I looked up the womanly art of breastfeeding and for colic it recommends feeding on demand instead of trying to stick to a 2-3 hour schedule. That way the baby isn't getting worked up between feeds and is getting all the milk including the heavier fattier milk. Feeding to a schedule with colicky babies and fast let down means they're getting the full force of the lighter milk.

It also says a little feed when the baby is particularly fussy may help get their wind up.

Other than that it's 'contact, carry, walk and talk' so keep him upright as much as possible. You know what is like yourself to be on your back if you've got a sore tummy...not very nice. If you have a baby carrier or sling use it. If not see if you can borrow one. Try doing things with him in his fussy time even if it's going for a drive in the car or going to supermarket to buy bread. Anything at all to distract him.

A bath may also give him some relief.
    It's so exhausting when you're in the thick of it.

Of course if in doubt go back to the coombe but unfortunately I think you have a baby prone to colic. :(

yellow hen, where are you based? I'm in Dublin 10 and I could loan you my ergo carrier for a couple of weeks for you to try it out and decide whether you like it enough to buy your own.

It might give you and your baby some relief from the wind/colic too over the next few days.9

I'm around all day today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

yellow hen, where are you based? I'm in Dublin 10 and I could loan you my ergo carrier for a couple of weeks for you to try it out and decide whether you like it enough to buy your own.

It might give you and your baby some relief from the wind/colic too over the next few days.9

I'm around all day today and tomorrow.

Hi how strange, that is so so kind of you. Are you sure you could spare it? A few days with it would be brilliant. I'm actually near you, just in d12. I'll pm you when this man has finished feeding :)

Yes of course. Pm me and I'll give you my number.

• Advertisement

The child is inconsolable and my husband and I are at breaking point. We're going to bring him to the Coombe to be sure there's nothing else wrong. Does anyone knw where we need to go? I can't get through to them.

Ring them and ask. There is a paediatric clinic but you may have to go to the a&e first.

Sorry saw you can't get through. Just go to the a&e in the main waiting area when you come in through the doors.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Hope he's ok.

• Advertisement

We went back and got seen by a paediatric doctor. She spent a long time examining him and was happy that he was healthy. As we suspected, he hasn't got colic but more likely it's reflux. They told us to do everything we're already doing and we're to give him baby gaviscon before each feed. He was his worst ever tonight and cried inconsolably for almost 2 hours. OH and I going to sleep seperately tonight as we're no use to each other at the mo with exhaustion. I am do tired and upset with it all now. Say a prayer the gaviscon gives some relief. Has anyone used it before?

Ps... Thanks for all the advice x

Ok reflux I know too well sadly- 15 months later. My earlier advice stands - cut out spicy food if you are feeding him. Eliminate dairy, onions, tomatoes, garlic etc. hold him up when feeding and for a while after. Raise the cot / crib and buy a reflux wedge for future use. Don't ever lay him down flat even to change his nappy. Don't use a swing.

Don't give baby normal formula as it could be lactose intolerance too. My fella is still on nutramigen. Get formal appt with paediatrician asap to try to get a firm diagnosis. Gaviscon didn't work for us but does for others.

Small feeds and often and wind gently. Above all, while you may be tired etc any discomfort you feel is minuscule compared to what your baby is experiencing. I know you dont feel in good form now but your baby needs you now more than ever. You can do it.

Get yourself a very good consultant (and dietician) and don't listen to anyone else. We wasted months listening to rubbish advice from know it alls. If gaviscon doesn't help matters in a couple of days go back and keep going back til you get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

yellow hen wrote: »
    We went back and got seen by a paediatric doctor. She spent a long time examining him and was happy that he was healthy. As we suspected, he hasn't got colic but more likely it's reflux. They told us to do everything we're already doing and we're to give him baby gaviscon before each feed. He was his worst ever tonight and cried inconsolably for almost 2 hours. OH and I going to sleep seperately tonight as we're no use to each other at the mo with exhaustion. I am do tired and upset with it all now. Say a prayer the gaviscon gives some relief. Has anyone used it before?

Ps... Thanks for all the advice x

Fingers crossed tonight is a better night for you all yellow hen. Poor little baby, its heartbreaking when you know they are suffering.

We went through the exact same process you have. Went to a+e, saw a paediatrician. Got diagnosed silent reflux, prescribed infant gaviscon. It did nothing but constipate baby. Ended up back in a+e a week later. Got put on zantac. Small improvement.

Spent 400 euro on 'famous, osteopath, got told baby had a twisted diaphragm. Complete lies. No help! Spoke to my cousin who is paed nurse. She said come into hospital. Insist on stool sample. Low and behold came back positive for lactose intolerance.

Two days after starting nutramigen we had a different baby. No screaming, no pain, no refusal of bottle. No reflux!

Its really worth a shot to get baby tested. If my cousin hadn't told me about stool sample, I never would have got him tested!

I really hope things improve for you and baby. Just remember things will get better, its hard to imagine when your going through hell, but it will.

I can't recommend trying nutramigen enough. Fingers crossed for you. Sorry about long post, heart just goes out to you and baby suffering like that xx

I agree about nutramigen. You can buy it over the counter in boots. Worth a try. My fella is on zoton as Zantac didn't work. Op don't take no for an answer. We wasted 5 months by trusting a crap doctor. Go for the best you can find.

Btw they can't test for lactose intolerance unless the baby has consumed lactose.... You need to talk to them about that.

Op I know I sound factual but we have lived every hour with lactose intolerance and reflux for 15 months but you will get through it. Get a good consultant straight away. It's money we'll spent.

Oh and use dr Browne bottles. Nothing else compares. Go up a teet size if you are putting gaviscon in the feed. If you would like to chat tomorrow pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

yellow hen wrote: »
    @cara may, no I don't wake him. Although everything I have read today says I should feed him small amounts more often. He fell asleep on the boob there a while ago and I hadn't the heart to be winding him. I'm sure I'll pay for it later!! We're going to see how we get on tonight and if he's as bad or worse we'll go to the coombe tomorrow. I'll let you know. Thanks for the advice girls, I'd be lost without boards!

Oh missus - you have to get the wind up. I know you are waking them up, but the baby will sleep for longer and be more relaxed/comfortable once it is up.

I'd agree with Caramay, go with the Dr Browne ones.

I looked after the twin of your baby over Xmas for ten days. It was hellish at times. Infacol was fantastic - it made it easy to get the wind up. I'd get the wind up in a minute or two, whereas without the Infacol it might take an hour or two with the baby roaring crying:eek:

I only ever used one technique for getting the wind up, I'd sit the baby on my knee. One hand under the chin to keep the head up, and the other on the back... Make sure the back is straight - so the wind can come straight up. You can bounce knee slightly, but that is it.
    You can always check if they have wind, if you relax your hold, the baby should nearly 'collapse' downwards - hard to explain. If there is wind, they won't fold down.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

So sorry you're going through this yellow hen. Our girl is 10 weeks and also suffering from silent reflux. We had about 7 weeks of screaming for hours every night - from about 9pm til 1am - then it spread to during day too. We initially thought it was colic (I still think she prob has colic as well as shes very difficult to wind) so got gripe water and infacol. Infacol did nothing, gripe water she hated and seemed to make her worse. Eventually took her to gp and were told it was reflux - she has hiccips all the time, sneezes all the time though has no cold, and swallows loads even hours after a feed while making faces as if tasting something bad. As I'm breastfeeding and she wont take bottle at all, and doc could see how bad she was,she skipped gaviscon and went straight to zantac. First few days on it were brilliant, slept sooo much better day and night and very little screaming. After few days though went bit worse again so doc upped her dose, again better for while then back. I got her probiotic drops then and also took her to craniosacral therapist and she was much much better up until yesterday and bad again last night and today but nowhere near as bad as before.

So I would recommend getting to doc as soon as you can, do give gaviscon a go but if theres no change then push them to give you something else. I got biogaia probiotic drops online from UK and I do find her much easier to wind since but if Infacol works for you then great. We put books under back legs of crib so her head is raised and she sleeps maybe 4 to 5 hrs now before waking for feed tho often wont resettle after this. Daytime naps are still hit and miss with her but often I can nurse her back to sleep in bed and we might both sleep for another hour or hour and half if I have white noise app playing on my phone (works best for her if I play it quite loud). Also I feed on demand as someone else mentioned. It is tough -especially as she wont etake bottle of expressed milk - she feeds maybe every 1.5 to 2 hrs,mor

The only thing I will add is that there is lactose in all baby probiotics (i could find) so ensure baby has no issue with lactose before starting probiotics.

More often in evening when cluster feeding but it hekps her so its worth it. Cant really say if craniosacral helped as only went once but may try again if next few days are bad.

Reflux is tough especially as you can't have an end date in mind as with colic,but for us anyway it has gotten so so much better over last few weeks with things I mentioned, albeit with few blips in road. I basically survive the week waiting for weekend when hubby is off so I can sleep in a bit past 5 or 6 am and with him taking bottle hopefully things will be better for you,and giving aby meds should be easier too.

Sorry this is way too long and rambly and shes asleep now at last so I better take advantage and join her. Hope things get better for you and him now very soon

CaraMay wrote: »
    The only thing I will add is that there is lactose in all baby probiotics (i could find) so ensure baby has no issue with lactose before starting probiotics.

I didnt know that actually. With ours gp reckoned shes probably not intolerant as her nappies are normal,but think that was just in relation to dairy in my diet as she said nappies wouls be green and explosive if problems there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I only had mild reflux here compared to some but with the baby gaviscon don't panic if you get weird looking poop: it can get quite chalky in consistency and if they get too much fore milk you can get a green chalky poo! It doesn't happen all babies but can happen :) If you have difficulties giving it in bottle either a medicine syringe, or I know the first few times I used the medicine soother to get her used to the taste. It tends to clump so when you make it in the bottle shake the bottle vigorously and that used work for me. It did help C alot

Constipation can worsen, so lots of tummy time, leg cycling and look up YouTube videos of baby massage for their tummy.

Make sure you get some rest too: I know that is so so hard when you are breastfeeding but just feed and let oh look after babs for awhile. A sling literally saved my life because I couldn't lie her flat without heart wrenching crying. I wouldn't be without one now. Make sure you keep eating and drinking plenty too.

It does get easier I really hope the gaviscon helps :)

• Advertisement

How did last night go?

Hi cara may, last night went ok. Restless but no crying. Today however he has been roaring since 3pm.... He is completely inconsolable. We stopped giving him the infacol and gave him gaviscon 3 times. It feels like he's getting much worse day by day. I know it might only be reflux but I honestly cannot watch our child in so much pain. If he's still as bad by Monday night, we'll go to docs on Tuesday. I also might give cranial osteopathy a go.

I would bring him back to crumlin tonight. They might give him something to give him some relief. The poor little pet.

Are you still giving the formula?

CaraMay wrote: »
    I would bring him back to crumlin tonight. They might give him something to give him some relief. The poor little pet.

Are you still giving the formula?

We didn't give formula on thurs ugly but we have him 100mls as we needed something immediate to put the gaviscon into and I had nothing expressed. He's fine after the formula and bottle feeds so its nothing to do with those. We'll try get through the night and go to crumlin tomorrow if it continues. I got the impression though that there's nothing they'll give him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

You don't need to put the gaviscon in milk: you can put it in cooled boiled water it's what they reccomend on packet and our docs for breastfed babies. Well they did 6 months ago anyway: I know things change all the time. I wish there was something I could say to help but it does just take time it's why colic is so so awful

Hey don't call me ugly :-D

Ok op you know best. Hope tonight goes well for you.

Ask them about the formula as there are ones more suited to your baby's needs than normal sma etc

I'd give him max 60ml per bottle. My fella still takes max 7oz and was on 5 oz max per bottle til he was 13 months.

Just to update you all. We had another horrendous day yest and again from 4am this morning. However, we realised that the only feeds where he hasn't gone ballistic were two formula feeds we gave him last night and on thurs night. So today we have him two fornula feeds instead if his usual breast milk and touch wood, so far do good. We're still using the gaviscon but only since yest morn so I doubt it's that already. I'm a bit dad to be strapping breastfeeding but if formula works better and gives some relief to my wee man then I'm happy to stop. So my new problem is how I dry out my milk supply. I'm expressing at the moment yo empty my boobs but surely they'll just keep filling???

Sorry excuse all my horrendous typos, in a bit of an imbecile on the iPhone!

Whatever works op. well done so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Stop expressing if you want your milk to dry up. It will just dry up on it's on in time.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Stop expressing if you want your milk to dry up. It will just dry up on it's on in time.

Ok, I thought I'd become engorged if I didn't stop expressing. I have ca brave leaves and cold compresses on standby. I feel a bit sad that I'm insisted breastfeeding after only 4 weeks. I never expected to enjoy it so much.

Advertisement