Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby moaning/whining at night

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd say reduce the expressing gradually over the next few days. Perhaps alternate between hand expressing and pumping and go to only hand expressing after 3-4 days so you're just relieving the fullness but not stimulating your milk production.

Don't stop completely just in case you get blocked ducts or mastitis. Neither are pleasant at the best of times but I think you've enough to cope with right now without adding to your problems.

When having a shower try to keep your breasts away from the water as it may trigger your let down. This sends a message to your body that you've fed your baby and need to make more milk.

Keep whatever you express and freeze it in small quantities as it is great for sticky eyes so it may come in handy at some stage.

Your milk supply should reduce fairly quickly but it's better to do it gradually as you've been breastfeeding for a few weeks so your body is producing milk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I hope things have improved op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

yellow hen wrote: »
    Our 3 wk old has started this thing of moaning and writhing about when we put him down for a nap. He does it in his sleep as well as awake. We've tried winding him to no avail. He is mainly breastfed with the exception of a bottle of fornula before bedtime. I googled this and found lots of people saying its normal but I don't think so, he founds like he's in pain. I wonder if it could be the fornula or the type of bottle? I'm bf at the moment and gave him a drop of infacol to see if it helps. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

What type of formula is it? He may need formula changed. Also get bottles that are designed to help with wind in case if its causing the problem. You may be best yourself to eat a variety of foods and eat in moderation as in dont eat too much of the same foods in one go as it may cause wind for the baby.

How are you getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Love2u wrote: »
    What type of formula is it? He may need formula changed. Also get bottles that are designed to help with wind in case if its causing the problem. You may be best yourself to eat a variety of foods and eat in moderation as in dont eat too much of the same foods in one go as it may cause wind for the baby.

@love2u, he was only on the very odd bottle if formula and it wasn't a problem. It may well have been my diet as you suggested.

@caramay, things are so much better. He is like a different baby. Either the gaviscon or change to formula is working great. He had awful constipation which was killing him but I breastfed him once yesterday and once today and it worked a dream to relieve his little bowels. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.... I probably sounded like a woman possessed in my posts but I really was desperate up do anything to help him. Please god, he stays in good form.

Oh and he was weighed yesterday and despite the vomiting he put on 1lb 14oz in a fortnight so I was delighted with that.

• Advertisement

Well done yellow hen you did a great job - seriously!!! Hope baba continues to thrive. Would be great if you could let us know how he gets on.

CaraMay wrote: »
    Well done yellow hen you did a great job - seriously!!! Hope baba continues to thrive. Would be great if you could let us know how he gets on.

Thought I'd update this. After a trying fortnight abs having to watch our little man in writhe with pain, we took him to crumlin hospital. They firsthand got yo see the hysteria and said that they also think he has bad reflux. We're not giving him enough gaviscon so we can increase that but he's also been prescribed Zantac. I'm praying this works and ww get to see the happy little man whom we so rarely see these days :(

Ah the poor pet. At least he is getting medicated for it now. Did they test a stool sample?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

yellow hen wrote: »
    Thought I'd update this. After a trying fortnight abs having to watch our little man in writhe with pain, we took him to crumlin hospital. They firsthand got yo see the hysteria and said that they also think he has bad reflux. We're not giving him enough gaviscon so we can increase that but he's also been prescribed Zantac. I'm praying this works and ww get to see the happy little man whom we so rarely see these days :(

Yellow hen u poor thing :(
    I will have everything crossed this works, x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Oh dear, you've all had such a hard time of it. Hopefully the meds will work for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

good2talk, please do your research elsewhere.

How is Baby getting on since OP?

CaraMay wrote: »
    How is Baby getting on since OP?

Hi caramay, he's sleeping much better since we moved him into his cot. He still makes alot of noise in his sleep but doc said it can be common in a refluxy baby. Unfortunately he still needs to be fed every 3 hours but this again seems to be common for a refluxy baby. We get alot of crying sessions due to wind/colic during the day but thankfully they've never extended into nighttime. It's a real trial and error period to see what works for him :(

Thanks for asking :)

Thats great.... We did the 3 hours feeds to.. Its hard but whatever works huh?

Advertisement