Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby moaning/whining at night

Options
  • 27-03-2013 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Our 3 wk old has started this thing of moaning and writhing about when we put him down for a nap. He does it in his sleep as well as awake. We've tried winding him to no avail. He is mainly breastfed with the exception of a bottle of fornula before bedtime. I googled this and found lots of people saying its normal but I don't think so, he founds like he's in pain. I wonder if it could be the formula or the type of bottle? I'm bf at the moment and gave him a drop of infacol to see if it helps. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

yellow hen wrote: »
    Our 3 wk old has started this thing of moaning and writhing about when we put him down for a nap. He does it in his sleep as well as awake. We've tried winding him to no avail. He is mainly breastfed with the exception of a bottle of fornula before bedtime. I googled this and found lots of people saying its normal but I don't think so, he founds like he's in pain. I wonder if it could be the formula or the type of bottle? I'm bf at the moment and gave him a drop of infacol to see if it helps. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
    Hey yellow hen,
    My little fella has always moaned in his sleep, especially from the stage he was getting more alert and if there was a lot going on in the house on a particular day. Even now, at nearly 8 months, if we are out somewhere for the day where there is lots going on or if we have visitors here, he will moan and whinge in his sleep. I think he is dreaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Our son used to grunt in his sleep and it was very loud. If you think it's related to digestive issues try drinking a combination of chamomile and fennel tea which he will get through your milk.

Another good technique is the tiger in the tree/rugby hold. Hold him lengthways across your left arm. His tummy along your arm, his back against yours with your hand tucked under his nappy. Move him left to right with a little bounce at the end. Babies find it a very comforting position and it tends to release any trapped wind.

His digestive system is just cranking up so a little discomfort is normal. My son was exclusively breastfed and he had awful colic/wind up to 11 weeks and would scream from 6-10 every evening. He grew out of it after 11 weeks.

Advertisement