Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Speeds affect Browsing (and vice versa)

• 27-03-2013 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Hope this is in the right area. Looking for some insight in regards my connection speeds.

I am with UPC (30MB) but yesterday I got a new computer, same wireless card as the old computer, same UPC router. The new computer is technically better than the old one.

However, iv noticed that with the new computer when I start downloads my browsing is affected VERY badly and almost immediately. Similarly if the download is running and I open the browser the download speeds grinds to almost no speed at all (getting 0 kb/sec!), it sometimes picks up but only stays around 100-300 kb/sec.

This never happened on the old computer, I was able to browse fine and run downloads at 2mb+ per second at the same time before.

To note, I am not running torrents when downloaded/browsing and the main downloads affected are when using Steam

Speedtest.net results looked fine too. All steam settings look fine also.

Any insight/help appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Presumeably you installed a fresh install of your OS with your new PC and therefore drivers for your wireless card?

If you let your OS install generic drivers for the wireless card it's common for issues like this to arise. Try and find the manufacturer's specific drivers for your OS and install them.

That should be your first port of call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Yep fresh new OS install and the drivers are up to date also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Do you still have your old PC? If you do then swap the network card with the one in the new PC, as you say they are the same. It is a possability the newtork card in your newer PC may be defective. Worth investigating.

I might give that a try, but not just yet to see if anyone else might have other options?

Btw, the new Wireless card has a stronger signal strength than the old one. Generally it actually performs better than my old one if I am just strictly downloading or strictly browsing. It's only when I try to do both when the performance really degrades on both

The card's not set to half-duplex or something like that? Check the advanced properties of the card and ensure it's on full-duplex.

• Advertisement

Right, I checked Device Manager, turns out I have two Network Adapters:

1) 802.11n Wireless LAN Card (what my older computer had)
    2) Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

I did order the first one (the 802.11n) with the PC so the Realtek must be part of the mainboard?

I checked the advanced settings on both, the 802.11n doesn't have many options, only 4 in fact and no Duplex options. See here

The Realtek PCIe has the most options and it did have a 'Speed & Duplex' option. The option was defaulted as Auto Negotiation but when I tried the Full Duplex options the slowdowns etc were still occuring. See here

The realtek GBE is your Gigabit Etherley LAN connection. If you're using wifi you can ignore this.

Ok, but the 802.11n doesn't have the duplex option so what should I try next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

All wireless is half duplex, it uses the same frequency to send and receive, therefore can do one or the other, not both at the same time like a cable

Hmm ok, so basically I'm stuck with it? Still strange though on how I could always download and browse before with reasonable speeds for both.

• Advertisement

No there must be some issue somewhere. Best bet is to swap out the wifi card with the older one and see if it solves the issue.

Tried changing wireless cards but the old one doesn't fit into the new motherboard, so that rules that out :(

So it's not the exact same hardware then which opens the possibility that perhaps the wrong drivers were used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, I'd look at drivers and a possible QoS issue?

Advertisement