Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RuPaul's Drag Race

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Choices is the catchphrase of the season. I didn't like Tati in season 2 - I found her bitchiness to be a bit cold, but this season I was living for her talking heads.

As somebody who frequently spends an hour on youtube watching lip synch compilations I can definitely say that her performances against Alyssa and Roxxxy this season are amongst my favourite of all time - ESPECIALLY the one against Alyssa. I honestly think she could have challenged for the title, and that snatch game was her only real downfall (and even at that, according to reddit, the queens said that in reality, when snatch game actually went down in the studio, everybody was actually pretty positive about her performance and that her snatch game was decent enough).

Not sure how coherent this post is - my bottle of cabernet is nearing it's conclusion

People think the fan votes don't count but it has to be a balance for Ru I think. Kim Chi was only narrowly ahead of Bob but Bob had a better track record and in the end won. Violet was miles ahead of Ginger and then she won but I think Ru would have crowned Ginger if the votes were closer together.

Ive been rooting for Katya ever since the trailer for season 7 came out and her Meet the Queens. She has only gone from strength to strength once she realised how loved she is and conquered her anxiety. She's great in and off the show (RuCall and UNHhhh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Update on yesterday's figures:-

#Team Alaska 1,149 Retweets 1,429 Likes (up 148 RT's & 259 Loves)
    #Team Detox 507 Retweets 805 Likes (up 87 RT's & 200 Loves)
    #Team Katya 19,452 Retweets 24,193 Likes (up 3,235 RT's & 4,167 Loves)
    #Team Roxxxy 143 Retweets 388 Likes (up 24 RT's & 73 Loves)

Katya is so far ahead the other queens can't even see the dust she kicked up as she sped past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

It's so crazy how far ahead Katya is compared to Alaska. I thought it would have been a lot closer.

The tweets have been deleted it seems, or WoW have hidden them and started again...

Anyway, it's even more interesting over on Instagram-

Alaska - 18.2k Loves
    Detox - 9.0k Loves
    Katya - 57.0k Loves
    Roxxxy - 5.4k Loves

And this is all in the past 13 hours since the 4 pictures were put up!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I was floored by the last elimination. I firmly believe if were up to the judges Roxxxy would have gone long ago.
    She is in the bottom almost every week. Tatianna deserved to stay

Preview for tomorrow's episode - http://www.logotv.com/video-clips/d5vpbx/rupauls-all-stars-drag-race-read-you-wrote-you

To make things more interesting going into the crowning they should maybe make Detox and Katya the winners of the challenge. That would mean Alaska has four, Katya four and Detox three if I remember correctly. Not sure how it's going to work though. I realllllly want Katya to win this :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Alaksa does not come across well in that preview. I could forgive it last week but she seems to be completely buckling under the pressure. Not exactly a warming look!

Alaksa does not come across well in that preview. I could forgive it last week but she seems to be completely buckling under the pressure. Not exactly a warming look!
    She hasn't had a good edit all season. I'm sure others were under pressure but didn't act the way she did. In the preview she's talking about how she's done the best and how she should win and it just rubs me up the wrong way. She's expecting it and is acting like no one else is competition to her. She complained about Rolaskatox but a big part of that comes from her saving Roxxxy a couple of times. It's like she has JUST realised shes in the same position as season 5 and that a "lovable weirdo" could win this. She played herself in the end. We will see though, I don't know if they know who has won yet but Alaska has been going into PR 101 Overdrive with the charity video etc. Is she trying to clean things up before she's crowned or in case of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

I thought it weird that Michelle and Ru would make such a big thing and dedicate so much time on the tantrum in the podcast given it happened out of sight. Michelle often says how she never knows the going ons back stage ;they rarely bring that sort of drama into the fray so I'm guessing it was producer gold when it did happen. The fact she's rubbing Detox up the wrong way is also grating. Think you could say anything to Roxy at this stage and she'd still be grateful to be there.

I've just found the way she has been portrayed all season to be utterly bizzare. What is the reason for it? Maybe we will find out tomorrow. Alaska will probably get some redemption as often happens but I'm not sure it'll be enough redemption at this point. Maybe they wanted to throw us off the obvious winner scent but I think they've went too far the other way. She is pretty much wearing the same thing to the crowning that she got read to filth for on the runway last week too.

Apparently the winner knows who they are as the queens were shown the finale episode at the taping. Not sure how true this is as I haven't seen the source but still think it might be worth mentioning.

I have heard that but no one can actually confirm the source. I reckon they went with 3 different endings to stop a leak but may have told at the reunion...unless they filmed 3 different segments there as well (doubtful). Could be why Alaska is doing damage control - she knows and is trying to lessen the backlash since the vast majority want Katya to win over her.

Oh it's definitely damage control. It did make me laugh though so I'm sure knows she f-cked up.

The snake bit in the charity video made me laugh and the rucucucu bit but a video to announce donating to charity is so transparent to me. At least a great cause will get money out of it but its what people do when they know they've messed up.

• Advertisement

Anyone else staying up tonight to watch a live stream? Who do we want to win? Who do we think will win? I want Katya but I think it'll go to Alaska.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

I honestly have no idea who will win. All season I was saying this is Alaska's crown to lose and couldn't imagine anyone but her winning but with the backlash since last week I just don't know. Was the finale recorded last year and just the reunion taped recently because I so then I'm thinking Alaska will still win. Unless they decide to disqualify for rule breaking her ala Willam

I would be happy to see Katya win either or even Detox at a push.

Detox hasn't a sniff. It's between Alaska and Katya. I'd say it'll still be Alaska's.

When it started I would have said Alaska as well. I'm assuming they filmed three crownings as usual and only at the reunion they got told who actually won. So it would still be open up until a couple of weeks ago who wins. They may have wanted to see fan reactions etc. I've said all season long Alaska has not been given a winners edit. Last time they crowned an unpopular choice it was Tyra and we know how popular she is. Either way it's gonna be interesting. The fan base will have a meltdown :P.

Major spoilers under the cut!
    I never in a million years thought I would have been disappointed with Alaska winning All Stars 2. There were glimpses of a redemption in parts of tonight's show but it was not enough, Then accompanied with her completely ungracious and arrogant crowning and speech...awful. I had expected her to win from the start and the fan vote would mean nothing but I hate someone with her attitude being rewarded for it.
    Katya was an absolute delight and it really looked tonight like she might take it. At the very least, I hope she takes some comfort in being so LOVED. She didn't even win a lip sync this season and took home zero. It'd have been nice for her to get something...but maybe she has, the winner isn't always the "winner".
    Detox killed it. I loved her on season 5 and love her even more now. She was fully deserving of her place in the top 3. Roxxxy has gained her redemption and her speech was lovely. They'll both do really well from this.
    I hope Alaska enjoys her crown and money but everywhere I look online is full of furious fans, so she does not have their backing.

• Advertisement

Great finale. I can make peace with the winner. I didn't like Detox, Roxxy, or Tati in their seasons but they all came across so well. Victories for them too! Katya is my fave forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Reiketsu wrote: »
    I never in a million years thought I would have been disappointed with Alaska winning All Stars 2. There were glimpses of a redemption in parts of tonight's show but it was not enough, Then accompanied with her completely ungracious and arrogant crowning and speech...awful.
    She let herself down in the last couple of episodes alright, but prior to that (and even tonight in execution) she really was fantastic this season. She deserved to win.

I love Katya too but I think the order was right here.

Really great season overall.

Also, the crowning and speeches at the end aren't "real", as far as I know. Everyone get's a turn and the decision is revealed in the editing, to avoid leaks and spoilers (the show was filmed months ago). So if they seemed "completely ungracious" it's slightly forgivable, I think.

I know they aren't real as such but a speech about how you should win because you are the biggest fan doesn't sway me. It's not about that. She wanted to win and I won't dispute that she's not talented or anything but most people want someone with a good personality and humility to win and she didn't show that. That's the biggest reason for the negative reaction. I have an issue with rewarding bratty behaviour...but it's all rigga morris anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Reiketsu wrote: »
    but a speech about how you should win because you are the biggest fan doesn't sway me.

Oh, that speech. Yeah that was awful.

Katya's speech had me tearing up she was so gracious and humble and endearing and all other positive adjectives in the dictionary.

Interesting fact-

Alaska, Detox and Roxxxy all won lipsyncs and so all won money.

Katya is the only one who literally went home with nothing.

(Apart from almost universal praise, admiration, love, respect and likely a sh*t ton more fans than before).

I'm not surprised Alaska won, but I had a small part of me still thinking Katya was gonna take it.

Also, if you haven't seen this, please watch!

Yeah her speech got me. The part she spoke in Russian wasn't about a carburetor at all, although that joke was so typically Katya. A Russian fan translated it and she actually said "I am a star - forever. Thank you so much." My wee heart.

pad_ehh wrote: »
    Interesting fact-

Alaska, Detox and Roxxxy all won lipsyncs and so all won money.

Katya is the only one who literally went home with nothing.

(Apart from almost universal praise, admiration, love, respect and likely a sh*t ton more fans than before).

I'm not surprised Alaska won, but I had a small part of me still thinking Katya was gonna take it.

Well, I'm pretty sure their fee for agreeing to the show is probably pretty sound.

But yeah, poor Katya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I didn't like the way Alaska played the game at the end, but there is no denying she deserved to win on so many counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

J_E wrote: »
    I didn't like the way Alaska played the game at the end, but there is no denying she deserved to win on so many counts.

The Game was already played for her. The producers decided each week who she was sending home. In season 3&4, the girls who were eliminated used to get a bill from the hotel of their home service charges before they even lip synced.

Willam says it a game show for a reason. The producers have decided who has won and you just play along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

newacc2015 wrote: »
    The Game was already played for her. The producers decided each week who she was sending home. In season 3&4, the girls who were eliminated used to get a bill from the hotel of their home service charges before they even lip synced.

Willam says it a game show for a reason. The producers have decided who has won and you just play along.

I'm really surprised people think it's any other way. It's a reality TV show

In the original S4 untucked, (which has since been edited to remove the word 'letter') Jiggly can be clearly heard saying "None of you motherf***ers got that letter to quit and that's it!" or something along those lines. She was also holding paper but we couldn't see what was on it. It was widely believed that she was feeling so down that episode because she had actually got her bill from the hotel and she knew that she was going home that week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

J_E wrote: »
    I'm really surprised people think it's any other way. It's a reality TV show

You said you didnt like the way Alaska played the game yourself, which implies you seem to think she had some control of her out come. But at the end of the day the producers were the ones in control.

It isn't a reality show, its actually quite scripted.

Drag Con UK
    Not sure if it's officially affiliated with the actual Drag Con in LA. It is being run by The MJR Group who are also doing the Christmas Queens tour and Bianca's Not Today Satan tour (as well as lots of other bands etc, a good solid company by the looks of it). Holy Trannity announced Drag Tech for Manchester, November 4th next year at 150 a ticket for five hours on the Saturday (!) and a show on the Sunday. Word on the street this will be about 40 for the two days. There's a countdown on the website for 15 days time so more info coming then I guess.

Did anyone else go to Dragged Up on Friday ?

I went :). What did you think? Did you have a meet and greet? Sharon was really lovely but Alaska was meh.

I enjoyed it. I didn't do the meet and greet. I only got tickets last week I missed out when they went on sale originally.
    I thought Sharon was great and so was Alaska.

I have meet and greet tickets for AAA

They both performed great, really enjoyed it. I wasn't able to afford tickets for AAA Girls when they came out. It's a bit too close to Christmas for me anyway. Willam is coming to Belfast on December 3rd but I can't go to that either. I think the world conspires against me every time Willam is about, it's just not meant to be :(

Could you ask someone to get you a ticket to see Willam as an xmas present ?

• Advertisement

From my previous experience meeting Willam, he didn't really say anything, just sort of smiled and nodded at everything I said to him. I noticed that he did this too to people who were in front of me in line. After the official venue photo was taken, he then gently pushed directed me over towards the merch table and then just looked at me as if to say "so, what are you buying?". The only time he actually spoke to me was to ask my name for writing on the signed poster. I did get a slap on the ass as I walked away, so I suppose that's something. I was a bit disappointed with him if I'm being honest, being my (at the time) favourite Drag Race queen.

Aww could have been an off day? I've only ever heard really positive things about Willam. I'll tell you who I'll never see again though - Bob. Awful personality and this was through the whole tour.

I bought a ticket yesterday for Dragworld yesterday :D. Hoping to grab meet and greet tickets for Adore, Jinkx and Katya later when they go on sale.

Season 9 queens ruvealed. They are:
    Aja
    Alexis Michelle
    Charlie Hides
    Eureka
    Farrah Moan
    Jaymes Mansfield
    Kimora Blac
    Nina Bo'Nina Brown
    Peppermint
    Sasha Velour
    Shea Couleé
    Trinity Taylor
    Valentina.

Also
    According to Reddit there is talk of Cynthia Lee Fontaine pulling a Shangela and coming back

No transmission date announced just yet but most likely March.

Have to say I haven't heard of most of these queens but have seen bits of Nina Bo'Nina Brown's work and she's a very talented.

Roll on season 9. I'm excited

Alexis Michelle said at a gig of her last weekend to mark March 9th in your diaries. She also said she had an "appointment" at 1pm today, the time of the reveal. 
    I stan for Aja already so she's a favourite of mine and I'm hoping she goes far! After watching the meet the queens videos, other queens I'm liking are Sasha, Farrah and Trinity. Getting underdog vibes from Trinity actually, she's a good all rounder and should do quite well.

I'm loving Nina Bo Nina Brown and of course, the ultimate queen Peppermint. The fun is always in getting the first impressions wrong though, as I read online! ^^

Oh yeah. Chances are that my opinion will change drastically when it actually airs haha!

• Advertisement

I'll always remember watching Season 7's and going "Pearl who. Won't last an episode"....then paying €40 to meet the betch the following summer haha

Yeah I just watched the meet the queens videos and I have to say I like pretty much all of them. They all look like strong competitors and I'm not seeing any 'filler queens'. They all look like they came to play.

I know it's too early to judge them, and I really shouldn't from the meet the queens videos but Kimora Blac just grates a little. Super confident but cocky about it.
    Jaymes Mansfield seems quirky. I like it. Jinkx vibes

I remember people saying Violet wouldn't do well in season 7 and look what happened there. The same was also said about Chi Chi last season. People were living for Acid Betty until it aired but I love Acid Elizabeth and she was great when I met her. She just doesn't beat about the bush haha!

Yeah I just watched the meet the queens videos and I have to say I like pretty much all of them. They all look like strong competitors and I'm not seeing any 'filler queens'. They all look like they came to play.

I know it's too early to judge them, and I really shouldn't from the meet the queens videos but Kimora Blac just grates a little. Super confident but cocky about it.
    Jaymes Mansfield seems quirky. I like it. Jinkx vibes
    Kimora has been pegged to bring the drama since she was rumoured to be on the show. I like some fun shade but I have a feeling she might go beyond that. In saying that, season 8 was so drama free apart from the Derrick clashes so it'd be a nice change of pace. Jaymes is a little annoying to me but I'll see how she is on the show. That voice will get old fast for me if she does it all the time.

Seems like a verrrry hard character to keep up though, which gives me more Mimi vibes than Jinx. There seems to a definite Violet theme going through the younger queens too. All this body/ody/ody is wearing a little thin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement