Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter abuzz with rumours about a jobs announcement

Options
  • 27-03-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Apparently Enda and Richard Bruton are in Waterford tomorrow - a number of local tweeters have said a jobs announcement is expected.

Paudie Coffey is "welcoming An Taoiseach & Min R Bruton to Waterford City tomorrow - expected positive news on the jobs front for the City".

Better not be an extra 50 jobs in Eishtec or Genzyme... it would want to be Apple's fcuking European HQ at this stage, with the number of jobs we've haemorrhaged over the past five years.

Anyway, fingers crossed that it's something properly significant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wouldn't get excited, it'll be a few crumbs as you suggest it could be. If it were anything significant we;d already know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

fricatus wrote: »
    Apparently Enda and Richard Bruton are in Waterford tomorrow - a number of local tweeters have said a jobs announcement is expected.

Paudie Coffey is "welcoming An Taoiseach & Min R Bruton to Waterford City tomorrow - expected positive news on the jobs front for the City".

Better not be an extra 50 jobs in Eishtec or Genzyme... it would want to be Apple's fcuking European HQ at this stage, with the number of jobs we've haemorrhaged over the past five years.

Anyway, fingers crossed that it's something properly significant.

It will be the usual the 50 or so low tech/low skilled/low paid jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Surely if the Taoiseach is coming down then its more then scraps?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

O Riain wrote: »
    Surely if the Taoiseach is coming down then its more then scraps?

More than likely a smoke screen to stop him being jeered for the opening of the museum.

Nypd wrote: »
    More than likely a smoke screen to stop him being jeered for the opening of the museum.

Does he think we can be fooled easily?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭cassette50

McDonald's hope to announce the creation of 10 jobs over the next 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Surely tomorrow is the day to hit the streets. These opportunities don't come along often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

fricatus wrote: »

Probably gonna get a street urchin to wash their cars.

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Surely tomorrow is the day to hit the streets. These opportunities don't come along often.

Without a doubt, even the announcement is significant we need more. The city is so screwed at this stage that we need at least one more big jobs announcement to just barely manage to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

This is an IDA announcement on jobs and/or investment, so it could be significant, hopefully.

I know they deserve to hear our anger but I hope people don't just go down to throw abuse at Kenny & Bruton when they are making a positive announcement for Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Don't know anything about this but I hope its good news.

Sad, someone suggested on the Save Waterford campaign that he should be "stabbed in the face" and another saying "Kill Him" (though, I assume at least, this wasn't meant to be serious). The page owners have let both posts stand, even though it was pointed out that the comment was inappropriate (they liked that post).

Sometimes I wonder about people, I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tomo_toole

Nothing significant folks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm expecting maybe 50-100 jobs in an existing company over 1-3 years, likely Eishtec again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

While anything welcomed this city really needs an announcement of 300 jobs plus to even get us anywhere near getting into the black again. The city centre will implode soon at this rate .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Sully wrote: »

Sad, someone suggested on the Save Waterford campaign that he should be "stabbed in the face" and another saying "Kill Him" (though, I assume at least, this wasn't meant to be serious). The page owners have let both posts stand, even though it was pointed out that the comment was inappropriate (they liked that post).

"Save Waterford" started off with good intentions but it is now after getting a bit out of hand and developed into something that the organisers are not one way capable of handling. The page is now being used basically as an abuse forum.
    The 15 minutes of fame is well gone for these ladies and they are scraping the bottom of the barrel to try keep themselves in the news .

Damien tieran on twitter has said 150+ jobs as well as investment. Not enough in my opinion.

"Give em a few jobs keep them quiet for a while, then go ahead with the downgrade of the city and hospital"

Think I'll get my protest boots on.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

25 jobs by 2070 ......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Damien tieran on twitter has said 150+ jobs as well as investment. Not enough in my opinion.

"Give em a few jobs keep them quiet for a while, then go ahead with the downgrade of the city and hospital"

Think I'll get my protest boots on.

I assume your being sarcastic.

Its not enough Sully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The kill him comments are just from your usual sad troll with no guts. And even when he comes down I can guess that nobody will confront him. We are Irish, its not in us to rock the boat, too many decades under British Rule. Its all talk when it comes to confronting these politicians. He was here to open the extension for Dawn Meats at a time after Talk Talk and other jobs were being lost and we had the perfect chance to ask him hard hitting qs. And we asked him what his favorite burger was......says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

150+ jobs where? When?

No. This will be followed by the down grade of the hospital, city council being removed, household charge brought in, water rates to come.

I do welcome any job announcments but when you look at the unemployment figures 150-200 jobs is a drop in the ocean. If this was to be followed up with more job creation and investmest great but I cant see it..

We'll get these few jobs and that should keep us sweet for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I can't imagine it being Eishtec, it was pretty much all over the place before they announced last time.

The fact that Enda is coming down gives me a glimmer of hope.

Like that has been said 50-100 over three years is the most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The fact that Enda is coming down gives me a glimmer of hope.

The tweet:
    Damien Tiernan ‏@damienrte 2h
    Am hearing jobs (maybe more than 150) and investment announcement in Waterford city tomorrow, pbly on IDA industrial estate.

Lets hope its around 200 and the jobs cover a wide range of skills. Anyway at least it will be some jobs and hopefully the first of many announcements like we hear in Dublin, Cork and Galway everyday of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The old TalkTalk building has been fully gutted over the past few weeks and was looked today like it was ready for whatever is going in there....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I heard rumours a few months ago that there was something big coming but heard nothing since

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The jobs are suposed to be in "manufacturing sector"

9.30 in the Tower Hotel.

I've heard 200 jobs, the company is located in the ida, dont want to release the name as the announcement is tomorrow.
    People will know the company once its announced and its not genzyme or baush or honeywell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Not Keltech is it?

• Advertisement

No

Advertisement