Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter abuzz with rumours about a jobs announcement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

ziedth wrote: »

That really is great news,

Now the dash for jobs begins. I pity whoever in HR has to go through the mountain of CV's in the next few months

Half the jobs will be in HR just to get through the cv's :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Great news for the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Great news for the region.

It is in fairness. There's a long way to go to get back to the employment levels we need here, so more good news days will be necessary, and there's no justification for going easy on the politicians just because of today's announcement.

However we should enjoy the good news today for what it is. Hopefully there will be more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

It seems that the laptop/pc belonging to the moderators of facebook page "save waterford" is broken this morning....Their silence this morning on an issue like this speaks volumes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

It seems that the laptop/pc belonging to the moderators of facebook page "save waterford" is broken this morning....Their silence this morning on an issue like this speaks volumes.....

This is a brilliant morning for Waterford. Its a huge vote of confidence!
    I'm not sure that bringing 'Save Waterford' into the discussion is any way relevant though. I'm not involved with the group in any way, but given that their core message is that together we can convince those in charge in Ireland that Waterford is not to be forgotten.. I would assume they think this is great news.

I would also assume that given a few people seem to be bringing them up at a moments notice in odd contexts that theres a fairly healthy government support base on this forum too.

So.. Today everyone should be happy and positive. Its a good day for us, and lets hope that we can all see great things happening from now on in our city, regardless of our political persuasions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Load of Moaning Minnies of Deise AM, Billy was getting a bit exasperated with the hostile tone? "Come back when you give with 2000 jobs" etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote: »
    Load of Moaning Minnies of Deise AM, Billy was getting a bit exasperated with the hostile tone? "Come back when you give with 2000 jobs" etc

I guess some people are just never happy,

They'd have something proper to complain about if Waterford lost 200 jobs today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

BGcQLgdCIAAkAz3.jpg:large

The protesters were embarrassing this morning tbh.

At least they dressed up for it, c'mon give them some credit for the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

The protesters were embarrassing this morning tbh.
    Saw something about that on Twitter all right, what were they doing, heckling/interrupting Kenny's speech or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In what other country in the world would a man be allowed stand 2m away from the leader of the country, with a hatchet in his hand? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

At least they dressed up for it, c'mon give them some credit for the effort.

Just to clarify (if needed), that man wasn't protesting lol

There was about 20 of them heckling politicans as they left the tower hotel. They then protested outside the museum and tried to drown out the speeches with sirens. Enda referred to it as "background music" and if they could listen to the positivity that was being generated inside the baracades they might quickly change their tune. I'd doubt it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just to clarify (if needed), that man wasn't protesting lol

There was about 20 of them heckling politicans as they left the tower hotel. They then protested outside the museum and tried to drown out the speeches with sirens. Enda referred to it as "background music" and if they could listen to the positivity that was being generated inside the baracades they might quickly change their tune. I'd doubt it.

I'm curious what the protesters actually hope to get from drowning out speeches about good things for Waterford?

How do sirens etc benefit the county and city and its people other then making the protesters feel like "big men", only their friends and fools think they are big and clever.

SWP I presume?

Terrible speech by Enda, which was not helped by him almost suggesting he is attempting to bask in the glow of someone elses decision (fancy that!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm curious what the protesters actually hope to get from drowning out speeches about good things for Waterford?

How do sirens etc benefit the county and city and its people other then making the protesters feel like "big men", only their friends and fools think they are big and clever.

The Usual Suspects I'm afraid... although I wouldn't be too sensitive about the fact that we have them here in Waterford. It's not like it's a phenomenon unique to here - remember those clowns that egged Richard Bruton's car (or was it Gilmore's) in Ballyfermot or somewhere? Also remember the incident with the red paint being chucked at Mary Harney? Both incidents took place in Dublin, and you hardly see the IDA deciding not to invest in Dublin because of a lunatic fringe now, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Will you ever shut up, they posted a message saying how great the news is. I know there are some dopes that leave ridiculous comments, just as there are here, but at least the core message is to help waterford. Blind party following is substantially more ignorant then anything I've ever seen them do and considering how the south east has been treated it is downright wrong.
    But great news all the same and we need more.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I guess some people are just never happy,

They'd have something proper to complain about if Waterford lost 200 jobs today.

Can't agree Cabaal, A lot of hurt out there, Jobs and Careers gone down the drain, Extra cost of living/Taxes .. Entire neighborhoods turned upside down due to crimes and Immigration.. and we haven't complained as other nations have and maybe we need too... even if its too deaf uncaring politicians living in beyond OUR means.

I wonder does Enda want the South East to believe he had a personal hand in getting these jobs?

As for the 200 jobs they are badly needed and welcomed! Thanks Nypro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

O Riain wrote: »
    Blind party following is substantially more ignorant then anything I've ever seen them do
    And there is sooooo much of that on this particular forum.:) Which is why 70% of people who voted in Meath inexplicably cast their votes for FG/FG. Sweet Jesus.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Delighted with the news but its sad to see that the usual trolls are out in force complaining.

This is a positive news for the jobs front and the economy here in Waterford. It has potential to boost things further as if there is more people here with money, then more businesses may invest (smaller ones). Its a small fry compared to our employment figures, of course, but anything no matter how small has to be welcomed.

Its normal for a Minister to attend jobs opening, especially a Minister who has a dedicated department to work on securing jobs for Ireland. The Taoiseach attends some also, the significant ones, and investment in Waterford is significant. He was also attending the opening of the Viking Triangle / Museum that this government has put money into (oh look, more positive news!).

Whats sad is that if these jobs went to Kilkenny, say, the trolls will complain and say that the Government wont give us jobs. Yet when they did, the trolls say its not good enough and how dare they be part of the launch. Its clear that the trolls are not interested in Waterford and are just biased, for whatever party or candidate. So unless there own candidates are part of the positive news, than the news isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

seamus wrote: »
    In what other country in the world would a man be allowed stand 2m away from the leader of the country, with a hatchet in his hand? :D

Probably most of them. Various military parades and whatnot.
    And thats before you count the likes of Afghanistan, North Korea, Cuba, etc...

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Delighted with the news but its sad to see that the usual trolls are out in force complaining.

This is a positive news for the jobs front and the economy here in Waterford. It has potential to boost things further as if there is more people here with money, then more businesses may invest (smaller ones). Its a small fry compared to our employment figures, of course, but anything no matter how small has to be welcomed.

Its normal for a Minister to attend jobs opening, especially a Minister who has a dedicated department to work on securing jobs for Ireland. The Taoiseach attends some also, the significant ones, and investment in Waterford is significant. He was also attending the opening of the Viking Triangle / Museum that this government has put money into (oh look, more positive news!).

Whats sad is that if these jobs went to Kilkenny, say, the trolls will complain and say that the Government wont give us jobs. Yet when they did, the trolls say its not good enough and how dare they be part of the launch. Its clear that the trolls are not interested in Waterford and are just biased, for whatever party or candidate. So unless there own candidates are part of the positive news, than the news isn't good enough.

So now people who disagree with Government propaganda are trolls Sully? Nice.

**** is a better term. Maybe Sully is being kind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    So now people who disagree with Government propaganda are trolls Sully? Nice.

Coming from the person who claims everyone who disagrees with you are FG hacks or sent from the government?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

seamus wrote: »

That isn't just a hatchet, that is a full length dane ax, the handle is standing on the ground, it would have reached the taoiseach no problem if the Viking holding it had chosen to swing it. Not to mention the sword and seax (knife) he was wearing, and the Viking behind him was wearing a knife, and another one that you can't see was also armed to the teeth.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Coming from the person who claims everyone who disagrees with you are FG hacks or sent from the government?!

says the FG fanboy :rolleyes:

Kenny announced good news about jobs and this is government propaganda?, how exactly? Its good news, its factual.

it seems some people are so blinded with hatred for the government and system you can't even see good news when it comes up and hits you in the face,

Alot can be said for a positive outlook and how it can improve upon a persons life, even during a extremely hard time of your life...don't believe me then ask any cancer patient or ask anyone who has grown up in real poverty and gone on to better themselves.

Clearly some people don't believe in having any sort of positive outlook and instead they'd much rather **** on any good news that comes to Waterford especially if it comes from the government, well shame on you, you damage Waterford!

Sure times are hard now but we as human's have short memory's and many don't bother to look at our history books, anyone who grew up in the 80's knows that was an extremely hard time.

it was common for interest rates on mortgages to be at 18%...incidentally this was also the unemployment rate at the time. Hell even in the early 90's interest rates were 12% on a mortgage.....if that happened now the country would be banjaxed instantly!

Few months back a cousin of mine mentioned how bad things were and how "we've never had it so bad", my dad called nonsense on this and told him the story about how women years ago used to come into the shop he worked in in August to start putting money aside for a fruit cake....a fruit cake...nothing else!

Four months to save for a fruitcake, this is certainly more poverty then I've seen people claim these days. I've heard people complain about how hard things are because they've had to get rid of sky!

We talk about poverty and yes certainly some people have it hard but we forget that in comparison people have had it far far harder,

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't support FG or FF or Labour the same as I don't support SF. But when I look at policy's and changes if I see a good idea I'll call it a good idea, if i see a ****e one I'll call it what it is. But again some people are so blinded with hatred that even if the government do something good its still bad, how exactly does this help anyone?

Sure Waterford needs more jobs but then what area doesn't?, sure more then 200 jobs would have been nice to replace the commonly sighted most recent big job loss of 700 jobs in TalkTalk. (its actually more when you count the canteen staff, cleaners, security)

But do you know what, when AOL started in Waterford it didn't suddenly start with 700 jobs. It started with like 50 and grew from there.

700 jobs would be nice in the morning but its a very big investment for any company to make into Waterford,

But ask yourself this....why would a company want to invest in Waterrford when a bunch of idiots protest a job announcement, tell the leader out of the country to get the fu*ck out of Waterford and another tool calls for the tower hotel to be boycotted because it hosted this positive jobs announcement?

No. If you read my posts the theme within is against government "supporters" constantly in a state of denial regarding the treatment of this City and its citizens. And who castigate anyone who dares to even mildly criticise our "wonderful" Government.

**** is a better term.
    Nicest description I've seen of the Government and its hacks in a long time. Well done......mate.

it seems some people are so blinded with hatred for the government and system you can't even see good news when it comes up and hits you in the face,

Good news? Yes. Hatred? No. More like factual reality. It also seems that "some people" as you put it, are so politically blinded that, in their eyes,they refuse to acknowledge the dismantling of Waterford City by FG. And its representatives. While being cheered on by "some people" who should have the intelligence to know better. Nero anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its quite simple really. The population of Waterford is not big enough to justify large multinational businesses or airlines investing in this city. People moan "Oh Dublin and Galway always gets the jobs, etc etc". Of course they do, there is a larger population in those cities which businesses and airports cater to. Look at our excuse of a nightlife-one tiny crossroads with the Foundry and Geoffs and Sinotts, its very tame and the reason why I and a lot of people I know choose Dublin or Galway for a nights socializing. It affects a huge amount so these people chanting over and over mindlessly that Waterford has been forgotten would do good to remember that. We have a bad rep with workers, yes they are skilled but very union and strike-friendly with a lot of the old-school entitlement mentality remaining.

Who would want to invest in such a lowly populated, militant environment? I know the emigration hasnt helped our population but those are the facts. That said, we do seem to be slowly crawling out of the depths and this announcement is definitely great news for our city. Long may it last and hopefully in time we can attract more companies, small and large.

Advertisement