Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter abuzz with rumours about a jobs announcement

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Its quite simple really. The population of Waterford is not big enough to justify large multinational businesses or airlines investing in this city. People moan "Oh Dublin and Galway always gets the jobs, etc etc". Of course they do, there is a larger population in those cities which businesses and airports cater to. Look at our excuse of a nightlife-one tiny crossroads with the Foundry and Geoffs and Sinotts, its very tame and the reason why I and a lot of people I know choose Dublin or Galway for a nights socializing. It affects a huge amount so these people chanting over and over mindlessly that Waterford has been forgotten would do good to remember that. We have a bad rep with workers, yes they are skilled but very union and strike-friendly with a lot of the old-school entitlement mentality remaining.

Who would want to invest in such a lowly populated, militant environment? I know the emigration hasnt helped our population but those are the facts. That said, we do seem to be slowly crawling out of the depths and this announcement is definitely great news for our city. Long may it last and hopefully in time we can attract more companies, small and large.

I reckon the population within commuting distance of both galway and waterford is about the same, factor in closeness to dublin, cork and europe and you have to start asking questions why waterford is not doing better than galway!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bards wrote: »
    I reckon the population within commuting distance of both galway and waterford is about the same, factor in closeness to dublin, cork and europe and you have to start asking questions why waterford is not doing better than galway!

With the finishing of the motorway it has given people far more choice job wise, Dublin isn't all that much trouble these days for a large amount of people. Neither are other area's like Carlow or Kildare.

The easiness of getting to these other area's is without a doubt going to pull jobs away from Waterford as people have more choices then they would have before the improvement of roads.

Closeness to Dublin and Cork?, in fairness why bother setting up in Waterford when you can be closer to Dublin in Carlow or Kilkenny.

Why bother even setting up in Carlow or Kilkenny when you can just setup in Dublin and have a far bigger selection of people to employee from,

Same goes for Cork, why setup in Waterford and have to deal with traveling on crap roads to Cork (no direct motorway) when you can just setup directly in Cork.

Waterford is really only second to Wexford town for being the furthest away from Cork and Dublin in the South East, this is going to have a negative affect on the area and I believe the motorway in many respects made things like the airport in Waterford less attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Cabaal wrote: »
    With the finishing of the motorway it has given people far more choice job wise, Dublin isn't all that much trouble these days for a large amount of people. Neither are other area's like Carlow or Kildare.

The easiness of getting to these other area's is without a doubt going to pull jobs away from Waterford as people have more choices then they would have before the improvement of roads.

Closeness to Dublin and Cork?, in fairness why bother setting up in Waterford when you can be closer to Dublin in Carlow or Kilkenny.

Why bother even setting up in Carlow or Kilkenny when you can just setup in Dublin and have a far bigger selection of people to employee from,

Same goes for Cork, why setup in Waterford and have to deal with traveling on crap roads to Cork (no direct motorway) when you can just setup directly in Cork.

Waterford is really only second to Wexford town for being the furthest away from Cork and Dublin in the South East, this is going to have a negative affect on the area and I believe the motorway in many respects made things like the airport in Waterford less attractive.

I will argue the opposite the Motorway is a massive asset, easy access to the city with the ring road and motorway to the rest of the country
    Business can set up here in South East we have Lot's of Units they can Rent/Buy a hell of a lot cheaper that Dublin/Galway. I assume the Rates waterford COCO charge are a hell lot less than Dublin.

We have WIT to Educate the Masses, I would hope the courses are what is needed for employment and not some Arty-farty having a good time.

And yes we have a lot of unemployed People, who are keen to get back into work.

Advertisement