Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disco1 chassis conversion?

• 27-03-2013 12:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

Can you put/do a classic 70's chassis conversion under a disco 1, thus making the disco 1 a classic, so no test required and vintage tax eligable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

yes you can. the disco body is a direct bolt onto the series 1 Range Rover chassis, if your using the V8 then its a direct bolt in too, but if your going Diesel then you'll need cut the engine mounts off your disco chassis and weld them onto the series 1 range rover chassis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

A lot of Disco 1 body frames will be as rotten as the RR donor these days. D1 was developed on the cheap from the parts bin inc the Range rover chassis.

Early 2 door Range Rovers with decent bodies and original condition (inc the V8) can be worth silly money now.

Unfortunately a lot of these re-chassis jobs involve no more than swapping chassis plates and log books :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Like this lad, who somehow managed to get a 90's lse body (108 inch wheelbase) onto a 1975 chassis (100 inch wheel base)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4555907

[IMG][/img]85739f61-fa4d-463a-9a6f-7b839c32c3c5_zps11e46f90.jpg

Yep, been posts about him before, best not to go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Best not to accuse people of something when you have no evidence. Innocent until proven guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭w124man

Innocent until proven guilty.

Thats an interesting concept. It'll never catch on.

Not on boards anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I was following a disco 2 on zv's Thursday evening, is it possible to do a chassis swap on those?

Nothings impossible but it's totally different to earlier chassis.

The chassis differences between the Disco 1/ Range Rover Classic and the Disco 2 are in the suspension mounts. The D2 uses watts linkage on the rear and has different rear trailing arm mounts.

The body mounts however are the same so the the D2 shell will mount on the RRC chassis. People falsely think its the wheelbase that makes the D2 bigger but they all have 100" wheel base. The D2 has a longer body which extends at the rear to allow more room for the third row seats.

So yes it can be done if you want. I did all the homework but decided it wasnt worth the hassle of having to explain what it was at every checkpoint I came to. As from the guards point of view it would have seemed odd, and even though I would have done it properly Im sure the hassle wouldnt be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

The chassis differences between the Disco 1/ Range Rover Classic and the Disco 2 are in the suspension mounts. The D2 uses watts linkage on the rear and has different rear trailing arm mounts.

The body mounts however are the same so the the D2 shell will mount on the RRC chassis. People falsely think its the wheelbase that makes the D2 bigger but they all have 100" wheel base. The D2 has a longer body which extends at the rear to allow more room for the third row seats.

So yes it can be done if you want. I did all the homework but decided it wasnt worth the hassle of having to explain what it was at every checkpoint I came to. As from the guards point of view it would have seemed odd, and even though I would have done it properly Im sure the hassle wouldnt be worth it.

hassle, you got to be kiddin right?..........the gardai could'nt be arsed.

Maybe these days when they are less than happy with their terms of employment. Anyway I prefer the easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dighire4u

Can anyone tell me does a 32 year old land rover classed as goods need to be D O E tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

any vehicle pre 1980 doesn't need a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I think a vehicle used for goods does. It's only vehcles used as classics that are exempt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

^ That's my interpretation too, once it goes on the €56 rate its no longer classed as a goods vehicle but a classic vehicle instead, and so can't be used as a goods vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Caddyvanman

I seem to remember something on here before, that regardless of age a commerical vehicle needs a test, vintage or not !

A private vehicle pre 1980 dose not need a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

I seem to remember something on here before, that regardless of age a commerical vehicle needs a test, vintage or not !

A private vehicle pre 1980 dose not need a test.

but if it was transferred over to vintage it wouldn't be for commercial use any more

Advertisement