Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big furniture company giving us the run-around

Options
  • 27-03-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A quick query about one of our major, well known, Homely furniture and Novel electronics stores.

We bought a display model sofa from them on the 9th March in Killarney... the display model was much cheaper (and in perfect condition), so we opted to buy it in the Killarney store and pay delivery to get it to Dublin. [Rather than just buy it in Dublin]. We paid in full using a Visa Debit.

They told us at the time that they were changing courier companies but promised us that all would be fulfilled without a problem.

Over the next week we rang them a few times inquiring about a date for delivery but kept getting told that their new courier had let them down and they would be in touch with a delivery date. This has dragged on and has involved a number of "we'll call you in the next hour to give you a delivery date" promises, which never came to fruition.

We need to know when it is being delivered so time off work etc can be organised but we can't get them to commit to a date or give us any information other than "we'll know in the next few days". I haven't been in Dublin for a few days so in a way it suited us, but we are getting a little bit tired of them fobbing us off and the difficulty in getting in touch with the people on the floor who were dealing with it.

It has now been almost two weeks since we bought it in good faith and we still don't have any idea when it'll be delivered. We are going to go into the store on Friday and scream bloody murder (nicely, of course) and I just want to know what our rights are at this stage.

- Obviously 2 weeks is totally unacceptable for a sofa to be shipped cross country, isn't it?
    - In the event that we get fed up, hire a van and tell them we'll take it up ourselves, would we be entitled to the delivery charge we paid them returned and something more for the inconvenience?
    - If we demand our money back, do they have to give it back? Store credit may be offered, but my understanding is that we can demand it be refunded to our card and that store credit is not acceptable. Is this true?
    - If they refuse or muck about, would we have a case for a card chargeback and can we do this on a Visa Debit card?

Thanks a million. Disgraceful customer service from one of our Highly kNown electronics retailers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Unless a delivery date was agreed in writing before you paid, you cannot get a refund as your side of the contract hasn't been impeded.

If the store offer you anything other than a delivery then they are being very generous.

I can see how it will be hassle being off work for the delivery and notice is an issue but this wasnt a condition of sale when you bought it so its hard to fight for it now,.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

But surely two weeks and counting for the exact sofa that was on display in the store is a bit ridiculous, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

3 months later would be ridiculous, within a month when no other arrangements were made seems good to me for free delivery.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    3 months later would be ridiculous, within a month when no other arrangements were made seems good to me for free delivery.

The OP has said they've paid for delivery.

OP, keep at them, when you've finally had enough waiting and want to get a refund ask for it. If they refuse it'll be off to the SCC with you to let a judge decide what a reasonable delivery timeframe is - I certainty wouldn't consider two weeks reasonable, and just because you didn't agree on a date does not mean they can simple not deliver indefinitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

The OP has said they've paid for delivery.

OP, keep at them, when you've finally had enough waiting and want to get a refund ask for it. If they refuse it'll be off to the SCC with you to let a judge decide what a reasonable delivery timeframe is - I certainty wouldn't consider two weeks reasonable, and just because you didn't agree on a date does not mean they can simple not deliver indefinitely.

Also would here be a case for naming and shaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Went in there for a bit of a fight today. Its being delivered next Friday. They could have done sooner (over the Easter Weekend), but next Friday was by mutual agreement. Fingers crossed it all works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Also would here be a case for naming and shaming?

Read the OP. Should be fairly easy to work out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

28 days would be Hardly Normal, 2 weeks is nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Had to laugh reading this a second ago the ad in the bottom right of the page was for their marquee sale lol

Advertisement