Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mystery of the Vanishing Tetras

Options
  • 27-03-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

About 2 months ago I added 10 cardinal tetras to the 5 already in my 120L, which currently also houses 4 rummynose tetras, 6 Boseman Rainbowfish, a nerite, and a couple of assassin snails. This week I noticed that I can only count 7 cardinals. There are no bodies evident anywhere. I don't think that the Rainbowfish are big enough to have eaten them.

I guess they could have died of natural causes and been scavenged - does anyone know how long it would take assassins (there are at least two, and I've seen them shagging) to skeletonise a cardinal tetra?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well going by the rule of thumb of 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water you're greatly overstocked and yes they would most likely be stressed and/or killed and eaten by the other fish. It would not need to take long to finish one fish between all of them (and that's assuming you saw it and it not got stuck behind something etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thank you for your comments. I generally disregard the inch per gallon rule as I think it's nonsensical (e.g. following the inch per gallon rule a pleco would be ok in a 10g tank), but I know that I'm on the cusp of overstocked*. The Rummynoses will be gone in the next couple of days, which has been my goal all along. I'm thinking that I might have to set up a webcam to see if I can spot what's happening.

* I generally use aqadvisor.com, which tends to err on the side of caution when it comes to stocking numbers.

Advertisement