Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle Test Applicants

• 27-03-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭

Just a heads up for anyone who is still unsure about the recent licence law changes and test criteria. Over the last few days I have had 4 or 5 calls from riders looking for pr-test lessons who all applied without changing their old permits or did so and have no clue regarding the law. If you know anyone in this situation or indeed yourself then please read on.

1. The old paper LP is still valid until it runs out but if you take the test for Cat A it must be on a bike of exactly 25kw power as this is the most you are allowed to ride on that LP. The bike must also fall into the new vehicle presented for test specification.
    over 395cc under .2kw per kg and not derived from a bike of more than twice its power.
    So no vespa 200's or cbr 250's or restricted R6's etc.
    If you pass the test you will be issued an A2 full licence not an A

2. Anyone who has gone for the new unrestricted A LP will have to complete a full IBT modules 1,3 & 5 (18hrs) if not done before, If IBT done before you will have to do a progression module 5 (11hrs) on an unrestricted bike over 595cc and above 40 kw power. You must also present for the test on a machine of that spec.
    You cannot just get an unrestricted LP and turn up for your test on a ZX6R or your Fireblade without doing an IBT of some sort.

I cannot believe that the RSA are not informing test applicants of this when they apply. A simple check on the riders permit number would reveal all to them.

Sorry for going on but after all of the calls and trying to explain to upset people when I tell them is getting ridiculous.
    Anyone who is not sure please contact the RSA (09625000)and ask for the testing section to find out what you have to do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

on a seperate note , how long has it been taking you for module 5 confirmation codes ? just wondeing cause im waiting/delayed around 4 weeks now myself, nothing but delays every step of the way with all this liscencing cack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Notch000 wrote: »
    on a seperate note , how long has it been taking you for module 5 confirmation codes ? just wondeing cause im waiting/delayed around 4 weeks now myself, nothing but delays every step of the way with all this liscencing cack
    Its taking about 2 weeks but I've had them quicker by calling and pestering. shouldn't have to but that's always the way unless they're looking for something off us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭alo1587

How much is it to change a restricted A LP to the new unrestricted A LP does anyone know? More money :(

alo1587 wrote: »
    How much is it to change a restricted A LP to the new unrestricted A LP does anyone know? More money :(
    €35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

35 euro. Bloody disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭alo1587

Cheers bluefinger.And its an even bigger disgrace cos mine will expire in october :mad:

bluefinger wrote: »
    35 euro. Bloody disgrace.

any you dont even get a full 2 yrs for that, i got the remainder of the 11 months left on mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

any you dont even get a full 2 yrs for that, i got the remainder of the 11 months left on mine

I forgot about that. I paid for my 'replacement' A licence on Monday. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

As said 35 just for the licence, but then a few hundred more for the IBT to make the LP valid...

Would someone "upgrading" have to immediately do IBT Mod 5 to keep riding even a 125? Or is it only necessary if going for a bike in the Above 35 kw range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I'm nearly at the end of this...so far this month ill have done 35 for new LP 300 for module 5 85 for the test 50 for use of the bike for the test and say 100 for some pre test stuff...so thats 485 notes :(

on top of the 450 last year for IBT and the licencing costs back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm nearly at the end of this...so far this month ill have done 35 for new LP 300 for module 5 85 for the test 50 for use of the bike for the test and say 100 for some pre test stuff...so thats 485 notes :(

If that's not motivation to pass first time I don't know what is! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Glengormanjay

Hi Roadskill
    From your insight do you reckon that the test has changed in anyway?
    I wonder with extra IBT (11 hrs) will the pass rate increase, or do numbers and revenue need to be maintained?

That would be an interesting set of statistics and overview graphs; Cost of comprehensive IBT training = Only serious and committed individuals are likely to get into biking; Bikers trained = safer and more skilled bikers: But does all this mean improved pass rates at the test centres????

I strongly suspect not and that the same averages will be manipulated/maintained

care to add in your initial start up cost, theory test , learners , first IBT, there be no change from 4 figures anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

care to add in your initial start up cost, theory test , learners , first IBT, there be no change from 4 figures anyways

I know!

Still worth every penny though

Hi Roadskill
    From your insight do you reckon that the test has changed in anyway?
    I wonder with extra IBT (11 hrs) will the pass rate increase, or do numbers and revenue need to be maintained?

That would be an interesting set of statistics and overview graphs; Cost of comprehensive IBT training = Only serious and committed individuals are likely to get into biking; Bikers trained = safer and more skilled bikers: But does all this mean improved pass rates at the test centres????

I strongly suspect not and that the same averages will be manipulated/maintained

From recent figures I have been told that the amount of insurance claims including motorcyclist fatalities have dropped by 40% since the introduction of ibt and other measures. How accurate these are I wouldn't like to say but I have definitely seen an increase in test pass results in my area. It is supposed to be up by around 7% so far but again don't quote me on that.
    The bike to bike testing is due to commence in April some time but again given the RSA's history I won't hold my breath. I do though expect that once bike to bike testing is in place the test pass results should be very interesting. This is due to the fact that in the car they cannot really see what you are doing properly regarding observation as well as the use of gears, brakes, throttle etc. As long as you look like your in the correct position and upright it seems there is no issue with your riding.
    Bike to bike for instance allows us to see and hear close up so no chance of getting away with using the rear brake only or stalling cos your in the wrong gear, also smooth operation of the clutch and so on.
    This could have either the effect of dropping test pass rates due to riders not operating their bikes properly (Pre-ibt riders) or increasing test pass results due to the riders being trained correctly from day one.
    This is only a theory of mine but it will be open to debate :)

But! moving back to my OP the riders booking their tests should do a bit of research before doing so as personally if I was to to be tested in any type of exam I would at least check out the criteria and make sure I understood the rules before just turning up and risk wasting the €85.00 test fee.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Glengormanjay

Cheers Roadskill
    Please do not get me wrong I think that there is a significant benifit with doing a formal training program (IBT) and I think that you guys (trainers) do a fantastioc job.
    But I strongly suspect that the bigger part of 40% reduced insurance claims is more to do with a failed economy where most of the younger guys are left the country and many older bikers have sold off their bikes. Or they simply can't afford to tax, fuel & insure them.
    The biking class has been decimated over the last few years, ask any bike shop!

Cheers Roadskill
    Please do not get me wrong I think that there is a significant benifit with doing a formal training program (IBT) and I think that you guys (trainers) do a fantastioc job.
    But I strongly suspect that the bigger part of 40% reduced insurance claims is more to do with a failed economy where most of the younger guys are left the country and many older bikers have sold off their bikes. Or they simply can't afford to tax, fuel & insure them.
    The biking class has been decimated over the last few years, ask any bike shop!

I would say your probably right which is why I said "and other measures". Maybe I should have said "Other factors"
    I must say though I have noticed quite a significant rise in 16 & 17 y/o doing or booking their ibt in recent weeks.
    I asked one lad to call me once he had got his insurance quote after ibt and receiving an assessment from us.
    17 on a Yamaha tw125
    Quote before €1139
    After €720
    Both the same cover and company so he was delighted with that. A €320.00 saving so his ibt only cost him €80.00 as he put it.
    Great result for him.
    Can you imagine how busy instructors would be if we could advertise ibt at €80.00 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Just paid my 85€ for test......did my ibt 5 and insurance assessment for aon the other day. I mentioned to insurance co when I get my test will I see another fall off in premium? Nope.....not for a year ....all they wanted was ibt 5 complete and I think min 38 points scored in test. I've paid a fortune to get this far but Having put the hard work in, the hours in, my ear been chewed over the radio intercom it feels good. Just need to not make a balls of test.

Advertisement