Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven mains switch getting hot

Options
  • 27-03-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just noticed in the last few days that the wall-mounted mains power switch for my oven is heating up when the oven is in use.

I'm guessing this is a loose connection or something?

So what is to be done, and is it potentially dangerous?

Ta!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

yes, you need to get it checked by an electrician
    Hi all,

Just noticed in the last few days that the wall-mounted mains power switch for my oven is heating up when the oven is in use.

I'm guessing this is a loose connection or something?

So what is to be done, and is it potentially dangerous?

Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

yes, you need to get it checked by an electrician

Thanks! Should I avoid using it in the meantime?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks! Should I avoid using it in the meantime?

Yes, immediately. If possible switch this circuit off at the distribution board.
    If I was the electrician called to look at this I would most likely replace the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

never come across this before 2011 what would be the exact problem melted contacts? due to lose cable?

It happens sometimes. Happened to my shower switch when the neutral became loose (i didnt wire it). The house/switch wasn't even 2 years old. It arced and eventually melted the back of the switch. The smell off it was something else. Get a sparks in to replace it with a decent brand like MK. I find whenever I've to change a switch for someone, it's usually the cheap ones that give up. Keep yours powered off until a sparks looks at it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Calgary22 wrote: »
    never come across this before 2011 what would be the exact problem melted contacts? due to lose cable?

Its usually loose connections cause noticeable heating, and/or the switch contacts have become tarnished. Once any overheating of a switch starts, the problem becomes worse.

Switches will heat to some degree in normal use, but not usually very noticeable.

Cheers bruthal i had taught it might be lose connections:D blame some 1st year sure we all have been one:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Bruthal wrote: »
    Its usually loose connections cause noticeable heating, and/or the switch contacts have become tarnished. Once any overheating of a switch starts, the problem becomes worse.

Switches will heat to some degree in normal use, but not usually very noticeable.

I've noticed it before in the plugs of some appliances, like fan heaters. Always resolved in those contexts with a tightening of contacts or repositioning of wires slightly.

Cheers bruthal i had taught it might be lose connections:D blame some 1st year sure we all have been one:(

Loose connections can happen with anyone really. I'd say connections sometimes become a little less tight over time as well. Copper probably sort of relaxes a little after its first tightened.

i cant wait to use them twistie connectors they use in canada there the job lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Two other possible reasons.

The cooker has been moved and the cable pulled tight in the process., which may have moved or strained one or more of the connections.

The switch has been operated while power was being drawn, and the switch contacts have arced and are no longer making a low resistance contact.

Either way, an inspection and probable replacement of the switch.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Is it one of the single gang ones?..

Used to use them for shower switchs and have nothing but hassle.. lethal actually..

Pull chords now and thats that!

I wouldn't think too many would fancy the pull chord for their cooker.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If a good quality switch is used such as MK and it is only used when there is no load it should not give any problems (assuming proper installation).

A pull cord could be used,personally I can't see the advantage and think it would look daft.

Was the bit about the pull cord not a joke?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭bongomad

alot of times its down to loose conections as said before, due to 6square being stranded and people dont twist the strands together so you can get a good connection usualy just screw down and cable spreads in the conection and you only get a few strands!
    as for shower switches the same as above, showers have been going up in the kw's in a good few years and still only 6square ran, last couple of years 10s is regs but alot of sparks still use the 6square (cheaper), you can get a cone shaped pull cord 50amp instead of the 40amp

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

hedzball wrote: »
    Is it one of the single gang ones?..

Used to use them for shower switchs and have nothing but hassle.. lethal actually..

Pull chords now and thats that!
    Bruthal wrote: »
    I wouldn't think too many would fancy the pull chord for their cooker.
    2011 wrote: »
    If a good quality switch is used such as MK and it is only used when there is no load it should not give any problems (assuming proper installation).

A pull cord could be used,personally I can't see the advantage and think it would look daft.

I think a slight trip to the opticians might be in order for both of ye :pac::pac:

LOL

2011 wrote: »
    I stand by this. :pac:

Personally I think pull cords are muck, for lights, showers or cookers.

Anyone else feel sick from easter eggs?:D

• Advertisement

Just noticed in the last few days that the wall-mounted mains power switch for my oven is heating up
    hedzball wrote: »
    I think a slight trip to the opticians might be in order for both of ye :pac::pac:
    More observation would show the op asked about an oven. Telling him about pullchords on showers is pointless unless you can explain how it is relevant to an oven.

Pull chords in my opinion don't have adequate mechanics for the ratings required for showers, as and as has been said, even for lights they are not the best.

Anyone else feel sick from easter eggs?:D

On my 7th one now.

Advertisement