Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New ere wouldto Lego

• 27-03-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭

I am a 32 year old guy her just recently got back into lego by playing with it with my niece and nephews. I am just wondering what or where would the best place for an adult to start building lego again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I like Lego Star Wars. It's definitely a good place to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

started back not too long ago as well, was certain it was Technics i would go for, and started buy up some cheap job lots on Ebay (random mixes etc). now a few months later, keep find myself looking at the City range, thinking that might be more interesting. so am still undecided what i would like to get into. have picked up some cheap Technic Motorcycles on ebay, old ones, and got the new released one as well. and really like them, but i do like motorcycles so that makes sense to me.

not sure what the idea way to start is? even now. you need to start playing with it to see what part of it you like, and you cant do that without buying.
    so find a decent sized set of any theme, and go for it (try to avoid a set with too many specific pieces, keep it as general as you can), if you decide the theme is not for you, great you have spares that you can and will use in other sets or projects, or you could try sell that one on Ebay. do keep boxes and instructions until you decide what you are going to do with it though. you can almost always get a good portion of your money back by selling it. of course this depends on the set, but you know what i mean.

Lost
    (see, the clue is even in my name)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think before you get to looking for the best places to buy, you should go to http://brickset.com/browse/ and browse the various themes to see which ones appeal to you. There are so many themes that you'll never really be able to pursue everything (unless you have pockets of infinite depth) so you're better off finding your niche and going from there. As an adult you might be drawn to more advanced stuff like the modular buildings or big technic sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

lostboy75 wrote: »
    started back not too long ago as well, was certain it was Technics i would go for, and started buy up some cheap job lots on Ebay (random mixes etc). now a few months later, keep find myself looking at the City range, thinking that might be more interesting. so am still undecided what i would like to get into. have picked up some cheap Technic Motorcycles on ebay, old ones, and got the new released one as well. and really like them, but i do like motorcycles so that makes sense to me.

not sure what the idea way to start is? even now. you need to start playing with it to see what part of it you like, and you cant do that without buying.
    so find a decent sized set of any theme, and go for it (try to avoid a set with too many specific pieces, keep it as general as you can), if you decide the theme is not for you, great you have spares that you can and will use in other sets or projects, or you could try sell that one on Ebay. do keep boxes and instructions until you decide what you are going to do with it though. you can almost always get a good portion of your money back by selling it. of course this depends on the set, but you know what i mean.

Lost
    (see, the clue is even in my name)

This is a great advice, not much I can add to it.

Though your story is almost my story lol! I came back just recently and the sets i gone back for were pure Technic. I really Love them, but i started looking for one more theme to stick my teeth in.
    So I got few Creator and town sets and I have to admit, Building those is more fun then technic. Technic is fantastic when it is built, but i find a lot more enjoyment from putting bricks together then using 5 pins and studless parts. :o
    I am still mainly Technic head and I am looking forward to new sets, but I wount be limiting myself to it only now.
    So I guess OP, the thing I am trying to say: Try few themes and decide, which you like best. First of all do your research and see what sort of sets are out there. I would go first in to Lego.com and check current themes first. Try them as those will be most likely cheaper then older stuff. And yes, Lego sets usually Increase in price, rather then drop. Unless thats a random bag of mixed lego. ;)
    The reason I suggest you to check current themes is, that you would not get a shock, when you find set you love and only then realise that it goes for 500eu second hand!

Advertisement