Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems With finding info on Family

• 27-03-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I have started researching my Mothers family and so far I have been able to get as far as my Grandmother. Her birth record comes up on Ireland civil, Birth registration Indexes. However her brother who was also born in the same area is not coming up, Im stumped by this because I have his old passport which gives year of birth, full name and place of birth as Cork, can anyone explain any reasons as to why his info will not appear on the Index's.

Im trying to find my Great Grandmothers surname but it did not appear on the Index's with my grandmother hence why I have been trying to find out birth details of my granduncle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Some births were registered before a name was finalized - so can appear as just 'Male'. Occasionally even in in the early 20thC civil registrations of were births were not not carried out.

What are the names & dates ?

Best way to find Great Grandmothers surname is to locate a birth cert for one of her children, then search for a marriage using the details..

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Also, never assume dates of birth on documents created later in a person life are 100% correct, especially the further back you go. Use them as a good estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

shanew wrote: »
    Some births were registered before a name was finalized - so can appear as just 'Male'. Occasionally even in in the early 20thC civil registrations of were births were not not carried out.

What are the names & dates ?

Best way to find Great Grandmothers surname is to locate a birth cert for one of her children, then search for a marriage using the details..

S.

Thing is my grandmother and all her siblings are dead making it just a little bit more difficult than I was planning on. My mother and my aunts seem to have not kept hold of any birth/marriage certs. My GrandUncle is Called Sean Walsh and he was according to his passport born in Cork on the 8-2-1935. However when I try search with those details I get nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cork has more civil registration districts than any other county - have you checked every one of them? The Cork civil registration district just covers the city and some close in suburbs. There's at least 5 other districts, maybe more, in the county of Cork. And its counties that passports carry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

He might have been registered as John rather than Sean. There are several on FamilySearch for the right time. Or John/Sean could be a middle name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Hi There

How many siblings are in the family, if there was any slightly unusual name it might be easier to narrow it down...

As for the mothers surname in the indexes some are there some aren't but up in the GRO offices in Dublin they are all listed from about 1904 onwards so with your Gran Uncles date of birth you could go up there and search the records there to find both your grandmothers and your gran uncles records, if you know for certain you have found your grandmothers birth record you can order it via the GRO for €4 for a photocopy of the entry and that will give you her mothers maiden name then even if it isn't on the indexes..

If you want to post more details we'll be more than happy to help out too! But Walsh is a very popular name in cork and it can be hard to pin point people down....

If you know where they were possibly baptised too you could check with the church for your gran uncles date of birth too to see if they have a baptism record..

BTW i've a few familys of Walshs in my family tree too all from Cork!

Advertisement