Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Abuse

Options
  • 27-03-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is personal abuse ever allowed? For example if someone makes an abusive remark about another Boards member an I then allowed to be abusive towards them?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, you can't be abusive in return. Except in the thunderdome.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

From the Boards Terms of Use:
    You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:

* treat others with disrespect
    * defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If someone is abusive to another Boards member, report the post and wait for the mods to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Cheers. The reason I asked was because of this thread I saw in Prison and the response from a Mod which was:
    Zaph wrote:
    And you're a retarded muppet who's also banned from Prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Cheers. The reason I asked was because of this thread I saw in Prison and the response from a Mod which was:

I suppose the fact that they're banned means they're technically not a boards member anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The Prison forum is not representative of Boards discussion forums. It serves a different purpose.

If the recipient of a ban for being abusive posts a thread titled "redhairedguy is a retard" then the staff reserve the right to call them a name or two on the way out.

I suggest you check out claregalway1's posting history before taking on her case pro bono. :)

And you make a fair point. Abusing posters in Prison is not something that I would generally do, in fact I can't remember ever having done so before. However when a re-reg troll who has been a major pain in the ass for the mods just posts there to abuse a mod further rather than appeal, then really he doesn't deserve anything more than our complete contempt. Apologies if this has offended you, that was not my intention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

did you check that banned users previous posts?
    EDIT:already pointed out,whoops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Zaph wrote: »
    And you make a fair point. Abusing posters in Prison is not something that I would generally do, in fact I can't remember ever having done so before. However when a re-reg troll who has been a major pain in the ass for the mods just posts there to abuse a mod further rather than appeal, then really he doesn't deserve anything more than our complete contempt. Apologies if this has offended you, that was not my intention.

Why not just ban them from prison? Thats a general question btw, not sticking up for anyone just would have thought it would be the easiest thing to do

Why not just ban them from prison? Thats a general question btw, not sticking up for anyone just would have thought it would be the easiest thing to do

I did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just wondering is personal abuse ever allowed?

It is allowable sometimes if the mods think it is appropriate or the topic is particularly heated but I have only seen it once or twice where it has not been infracted in my time on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is allowable sometimes if the mods think it is appropriate or the topic is particularly heated but I have only seen it once or twice where it has not been infracted in my time on boards.

I wouldn't really call that allowed.
    I said someone was being a jackass before because he was going on at someone about her kid or something.
    One of the mods told me (and your man) not to post on thread again.

If it's heated and both people are in on it, you'd probably get told to quit it like I did. But I wouldn't make a habit of it or get *too* abusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...more a case of pointing out the facts, at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That's mild compared to what it used to be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Zaph wrote: »
    Posts in the Prison forum are pre modded.

I can't help thinking the abusive posts were allowed to see the light of day in order for you to have your little dig back in public.

If you were giving complete contempt, would it not have been better to nip them in the bud at the pre- modding stage?

Only replies are pre-modded, the OP isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Seems to be allowed if you dress it up a little. This post doesn't seem to have breached any rules.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83884929&postcount=560

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

SB2013 wrote: »
    Seems to be allowed if you dress it up a little. This post doesn't seem to have breached any rules.

Did you report it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Eh, what he was doing was saying something he felt was of no value and more than likely untrue of you. But if you found it a personal insult, why copy it here and not report it, or follow up with a mod if you felt a report went unnoticed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

I did report it. I posted it here because it's a thread on wether personal abuse is ok and it seemed to be relevent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He was saying you clearly aren't any of that description, so.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yes you are correct. The post you quoted has not breached any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Yes you are correct. The post you quoted has not breached any rules.
    What about the fundamental rule: don't be a dick?

It is not right that a person get away with being offensive by covering it over with feigned cleverness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

What about the fundamental rule: don't be a dick?

It is not right that a person get away with being offensive by covering it over with feigned cleverness.

He was using the insult as an example to get his point across. There was no malice intended.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    He was using the insult as an example to get his point across. There was no malice intended.
    You are conflating opinion with fact. In particular, your judgement that no malice was intended is contestable.

I'm not sure this is the place to review individual posts, so I don't want to push the discussion of this particular post too far. Were I a mod, I might have made a different call (and also had something to say about some of the preceding discussion).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sorry, but I really don't see the problem here.
    A: you're lying
    B: no, I'm not lying. If I wanted to lie I'd say: person A is an idiot/green alien/britney spears. There you go, that's a lie.

Zero insult imo

As I indicated, I don't want to go far down the road of second-calling the mods on this particular post: it's a difficult one because there was a context of posters sniping at one another, and I'm not going to comb through the thread to determine who first crossed the line.

But I do feel that mods are sometimes too slow to intervene when people are sniping at one another.

Where a post seems to have no substantial purpose other than to annoy another poster that counts, in my book, as being a dick and merits mod intervention.

A veiled insult is still an insult. Were I to say to another poster "unlike most people, I do not think you are an idiot" you would be right to sanction me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

As I indicated, I don't want to go far down the road of second-calling the mods on this particular post: it's a difficult one because there was a context of posters sniping at one another, and I'm not going to comb through the thread to determine who first crossed the line.

But I do feel that mods are sometimes too slow to intervene when people are sniping at one another.

Where a post seems to have no substantial purpose other than to annoy another poster that counts, in my book, as being a dick and merits mod intervention.

A veiled insult is still an insult. Were I to say to another poster "unlike most people, I do not think you are an idiot" you would be right to sanction me.
    +1.

Blatant passive aggression.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Getting into Trial By Public Opinion territory here...

• Advertisement

Getting into Trial By Public Opinion territory here...
    I think we are not.

Comments like that tend to derail discussions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement