Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Sound Bar - Moisture in Headphone Jack

• 27-03-2013 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, hoping somebody can help.

I'm having trouble with the sound on my iphone 4 at the minute. The volume bar disappeared completely from my music/apps etc and I had no sound for apps or music through headphones or speakers (even though the phone showed it as playing music etc).

I did however have sound in calls.

I googled it, which suggested it may be due to moisture in the headphone jack, which may well be the case as i got an errant snowball into my pocket on sunday afternoon.

I got some sound back on Sunday night for a while, and went to bed thinking it was okay. I lost sound on Monday morning, but then had it back more or less solidly all day Monday (though i had to pull out and reinsert the headphones the odd time).

However, I lost it again on Tuesday afternoon, and now can only get sound for a few minutes at the most before it goes. Pulling the headphones out and reinserting the headphones works to get it back, but it only lasts from a few seconds to a few minutes.

I tried putting the phone in a bowl of rice last night to dry it out but it doesn't seem to make any difference. It's been three days now and no sign of improvement.

My questions are:

1. Is it fixable or might this be permanent damage?

2. If fixable, is there any way (or better way) I can dry it out myself and how long should it take? It only seems to be the headphone jack that's affected.

3. If I can't do it myself, is this something that can be repaired by somebody techy easily enough and how much would it likely cost?

My contract is essentially up (days remaining) so if its a case that this is permanent damage or will take a lot of time, effort or money to fix I would consider just upgrading. I had planned on waiting for the new iphone 6 (or 5s or whatever), but I use it heavily for music so i don't fancy being without tunes for the foreseeable future!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I had exactly the same problem with my 4S. I don't think it was moisture related. I sent it back to apple and got a replacement sent out.

The guy on the phone thought it may have been water damage and told me to shine a torch in the headphone jack. There is a whit thing in there, if it has turned green it is most likely water damage.

Get it sent off though because mine periodically worked on and off for weeks so it's unlikely to go away on it's own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I had exactly the same problem with my 4S. I don't think it was moisture related. I sent it back to apple and got a replacement sent out.

The guy on the phone thought it may have been water damage and told me to shine a torch in the headphone jack. There is a whit thing in there, if it has turned green it is most likely water damage.

Get it sent off though because mine periodically worked on and off for weeks so it's unlikely to go away on it's own.

It's two years old in a few days, so I'm out of warranty I imagine. If its a case that it would cost upwards of €60 to fix, I'd rather just upgrade.

I read up a bit more online and saw some people fixed the same problem by cleaning out the dock port with a toothbrush. I did that age it got me an hour of uninterrupted use on the way home from work.

Unfortunately an hour later it's back to the same ****! I've fished my old iPod classic out of the drawer. Lets hope that's survived it's two year hibernation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

It's ridiculously frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Get the headphone socket/dock replaced, you cost no more than €40 in a good repair shop

Advertisement