Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sagan Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I am all for banning Diet Coke commercials (and Diet Coke for that matter)

They are very annoying to be honest with you.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Can we ban Diet Coke commercials too? I mean seriously, so far I have seen a window cleaner, an elevator repairman and now a gardener all being sexually harassed by gangs of women deliberately agitating cans of Diet Coke so that the poor (probably minimum wage workers) are forced to strip their clothes off and bare their perfect torsos.

I know what Peter did was wrong, but has anyone thought to ask the Podium Girls if they are actually that miserable doing what they do?

What they do? Well that's the whole point, isn't it? It isn't in their job description to be publicly groped, no matter how skimpy their clothes. That's the enormous red line Sagan, and seemingly others, can't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Macha wrote: »
    What they do? Well that's the whole point, isn't it? It isn't in their job description to be publicly groped, no matter how skimpy their clothes. That's the enormous red line Sagan, and seemingly others, can't see.

No, everyone does see it, but it's being used now as a reason to scrap podium girls altogether. Sure, they probably won't be missed and they can take the stupid stuffed toys with them and just have an F1 style podium.

But it's part of the tradition.

I don't think anyone, including Sagan afterwards, thought it was ok. He is a young guy at the top of his sport, it was a stupid thing to do and hopefully Cannondale take the right course of action. But all this talk of cycling being stuck in the dark ages is a bit over the top for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Some internet whoppers here. Christ he's only have a laugh, calm down. I get molested by groups of old women on hen parties everytime I go out, shur how bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

I have to say I didn't find Sagan's action on the podium even slightly offensive, in fact I found them hilarious. I often wonder why more pro cyclists don't do it. Now I know I will be flamed to hell for posting this, but it what I and plenty of others think. I applaud Sagan and all his heroic antics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

doozerie wrote: »
    I find it no less offensive

You have no right to be offended, you were not involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

It's sexual assault, plain & simple!

If I groped a female colleague liked that I'd be fired & rightly so!

I agree, but your female colleagues don't make a living from sticking their boobs and bums out and kissing men they don't know in public.
    So, Sagan just has to learn the 'please look and enjoy but no feel' etiquette.

Eurosport are saying Sagan is like a young Sean Kelly

Kelly ever pinch a podium girl ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

MPFG wrote: »

Pitchforks! Get your pitchforks! Last of the pitchforks two for twenty!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Wasn't Kelly's daughter a podium girl for the Rás?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Wasn't Kelly's daughter a podium girl for the Rás?
    Maybe we should let Kelly's daughter out of it?

Pitchforks! Get your pitchforks! Last of the pitchforks two for twenty!

How is asking if Kelly ever pinched apodium girl got anything to do with pitch forks....

Or mayeb you are just livign up to your name ..........Illogical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Was Sagan behaviour unacceptable - yes.
    Should he be publicily disciplined by his team - yes.
    Should he apologise in person to the girl in question yes.

Should everyone else calm down - yes.
    What he did was simply unacceptable - but to use the term 'rapey' - outrageous.

I have two daughters. If either of them decided that they wanted to be a podium girl, I would be disappointed. If women do not want to objectified, then do not accept demeaning and objectifying roles.

(Just for the PC brigade on this forum - the proceeding line does not in any way mean that I endorse or condone anyone making unwanted advances in any way to someone dumb enough to put themselves in a role where they are objectified).
    There are people on this forum would cross the road to take offence at every possible opportunity - Christ some even have a thread about it.:rolleyes:

How is asking if Kelly ever pinched apodium girl got anything to do with pitch forks....

Or mayeb you are just livign up to your name ..........Illogical

Sagan can no longer be compared to Kelly by Eurosport because he touched a woman's ass? Now that's illogical. :)

Unless they were comparing decorum upon podia, in which case I stand corrected.

Sagan can no longer be compared to Kelly by Eurosport because he touched a woman's ass? Now that's illogical. :)

Unless they were comparing decorum upon podia, in which case I stand corrected.

Who said Sagan cannot be compared to Kelly cos he pinched a podium girl ...NOT ME

Of course they were comparign cycling ability....
    I just asked did Kelly ever pinch a podium girl....who knows maybe they have more thna one thing in common !

Who said Sagan cannot be compared to Kelly cos he pinched a podium girl ...NOT ME

Of course they were comparign cycling ability....
    I just asked did Kelly ever pinch a podium girl....who knows maybe they have more thna one thing in common !

It's possibly one of Kelly's few regrets. Could have been watching yesterday thinking "Jaysus! Why didn't I think of that when I had the chance!!"

It's possibly one of Kelly's few regrets. Could have been watching yesterday thinking "Jaysus! Why didn't I think of that when I had the chance!!"

You are probably right .....he could have made the CAL-CU-LA-TION :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Some internet whoppers here. Christ he's only have a laugh, calm down. I get molested by groups of old women on hen parties everytime I go out, shur how bad!
    And I'm sure you'd have no problem by your wife/gf/daughter getting molested by groups of old men on stag parties everytime they go out. How bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

you got to love little old ireland! where else would people even care!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Donelson wrote: »
    you got to love little old ireland! where else would people even care!

...Why do you think only Ireland cares?

• Advertisement

...Why do you think only Ireland cares?

I'm happy this thread is here, it's a happy reminder of how little we in Ireland have to worry about.

ps I don't limit this to just Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

Donelson wrote: »

ps I don't limit this to just Ireland.

I'm confused. You asked where else apart from Ireland would people even care?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well he just put up a video apology onto his facebook page, just a moment of madness imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Robroy36 wrote: »
    You have no right to be offended, you were not involved.

And yet you feel entitled to find Sagan's antics hilarious, even though you were not involved:
    Robroy36 wrote:
    I have to say I didn't find Sagan's action on the podium even slightly offensive, in fact I found them hilarious. I often wonder why more pro cyclists don't do it. Now I know I will be flamed to hell for posting this, but it what I and plenty of others think. I applaud Sagan and all his heroic antics.

...this is the point where your reasoning self-destructs in a blaze of irony, incidentally.

As for Sagan's antics being "heroic", I think you need new heroes, and perhaps a better dictionary.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

0603_54ae.jpeg

I know it's a repost, but look at this picture again. Maybe, just maybe, this isn't a guy who takes everything 100% seriously. I think everyone can appreciate that he's made a public apology. Can we put this matter to bed now maybe?

fixie fox wrote:
    I agree, but your female colleagues don't make a living from sticking their boobs and bums out and kissing men they don't know in public.

Are you even vaguely aware of how much that resembles the "she deserved it, look at what she was wearing" argument? I find your post quite shocking, I'd have to say, along with other posts in this thread that present a similar attitude. That attitude is entirely the reason why the "podium girl" aspect of celebrations should be done away with, not because of what Sagan did but because of the attitude towards the women involved that his actions represent.
    fixie fox wrote:
    So, Sagan just has to learn the 'please look and enjoy but no feel' etiquette.

Yes, for a start that "etiquette" as you call it is one of the things that distinguishes sexual offenders from regular members of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

This is getting lots of press, he should know better and in fairness stinks of an amateur attitude! Ronnie O Sullivan has done similar in recent years and done himself no favours.

Can't understand why a person would do that on a podium at prestigious race where the cameras are flashing, is he a bit simple?!

ROK ON wrote:
    Was Sagan behaviour unacceptable - yes.
    Should he be publicily disciplined by his team - yes.
    Should he apologise in person to the girl in question yes.

Should everyone else calm down - yes.
    What he did was simply unacceptable - but to use the term 'rapey' - outrageous.

I have two daughters. If either of them decided that they wanted to be a podium girl, I would be disappointed. If women do not want to objectified, then do not accept demeaning and objectifying roles.

(Just for the PC brigade on this forum - the proceeding line does not in any way mean that I endorse or condone anyone making unwanted advances in any way to someone dumb enough to put themselves in a role where they are objectified).
    There are people on this forum would cross the road to take offence at every possible opportunity - Christ some even have a thread about it.

Ha, you call for everyone to calm down as if the uproar is based entirely on what Sagan did (it's not, incidentally, the uproar is about the attitude he represents in doing it) and then go on to basically declare that the women acting as podium girls are filling "demeaning and objectifying roles" and therefore they are themselves somehow responsible for being objectified, further adding that they are "dumb enough" to put themselves in that role. Your summing up of the counter arguments as being entirely based on people trying to be "PC" (what does that even mean?) is a very poor attempt at trying to convey nonsense and hoping that no-one will call you up on it.

Personally, when I see podium girls I see women who are doing a job. I expect it's a rotten job, you are there as eye candy, the pay is probably crap and instead of being treated just like any other person doing a job, you get casually derided and dismissed as dumb, as so ably demonstrated by yourself. I have one daughter myself, and I'd like to see her growing up in a society which offers better job opportunities for women, and doesn't blame them when they take on the relatively limited roles that a largely male-dominated society creates for them and then belittles them for it too. You might consider that aim "PC", or something, I consider it working towards a fairer society.

So say that we all just stop posting on this thread entirely, and choose to forget the debate that has arisen, what do you suggest we then do? Should we go back to moaning about how we, as cyclists, are regularly derided and demeaned by motorist lobbies and the likes of the RSA because we are dumb enough to ride bikes on the roads? Could you really handle the irony?

happytramp wrote: »
    I'm confused. You asked where else apart from Ireland would people even care?

because I wish people would care more about the war and starvation, but I don't want to de-rail this with silly stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

0603_54ae.jpeg

I know it's a repost, but look at this picture again. Maybe, just maybe, this isn't a guy who takes everything 100% seriously. I think everyone can appreciate that he's made a public apology. Can we put this matter to bed now maybe?

Seriously? Ride one these and its ok to grope woman in public?

Advertisement