Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sagan Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Seriously? Ride one these and its ok to grope woman in public?

Seriously? That's not what I said and not what I think.

Ugh, I'm out of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 joe50

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Seriously? Ride one these and its ok to grope woman in public?

yes, that's absolutely the sentiment he's trying to get across :rolleyes:

sagan is clearly an idiot, but as has been pointed out elsewhere, you'd be better served trying to increase the coverage of women's cycling in general rather than trying to carry on with a sagan witch-hunt..

he's apologized, what more do you want? for him to be thrown out of the sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭ericzeking

One wonders what the reaction would be if the podium girl had given Sagan a congratulatory pat on the bottom..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

jesus he has made a public apology to the girl and anyone that got offended, he cant do much else, he is a great cyclist that did something on the spur of the moment that was stupid, who hasnt made some bad decisions in their lives :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

looks like a photoshopped pic anyway, I mean look how easy it was to change it to spartacus' cock! :D

• Advertisement

72835_4959560664578_1352006720_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Man crush over. :/

I was shocked the first time a female friend told me how often she got her arse pinched while working as a waitress. I got less and less shocked as I heard the same from various friends in various jobs interacting with members of the public, and indeed, from female cycling friends, who've had their arses grabbed during races.

The idea that any man or woman has any right to touch any other man or woman's arse at any point without a prior intimate relationship/express permission is simply Neanderthal.

I don't see how the job description comes into it - even strip clubs have strict "no touching" rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

buffalo wrote: »
    even strip clubs have strict "no touching" rules.

You have no idea how shocked I was to find that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

At this point I'd like to reference back to the picture on page 2...
    tumblr_m6m25jsl121r6ja2oo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

ericzeking wrote: »
    One wonders what the reaction would be if the podium girl had given Sagan a congratulatory pat on the bottom..........

Maybe one should read the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

72835_4959560664578_1352006720_n.jpg

sorry thats just class, ya reckon the whole crash thing was a setup just so this mash could be made :D

quality sir, quality! :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Maja Leye @MajaLeye What happened on Sunday was wrong. I hope this never happens again. But I'm sure it won't...excuses accepted @petosagan #flanders

god i hope this stupid ordeal doesnt make him get all serious and crap like the rest of them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Bit of fun, blown out of all proportion. Should have been laughed off on the podium if she was that uptight about it all.

Also to Doozerie and assorted friends - you can rant and rave with your myopic, self important posts but take a moment to consider this - hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people around the word found what Sagan did hilarious. Just because you post in a self-righteous, pseudo-intellectual, indignant manner does not mean that your point of view is correct. In fact, the venom in some of your posts would lead me to believe that you are bitter that you are fighting a loosing battle with the "Neanderthal" masses perhaps?

Robroy36 wrote: »
    Bit of fun, blown out of all proportion. Should have been laughed off on the podium if she was that uptight about it all.

Also to Doozerie and assorted friends - you can rant and rave with your myopic, self important posts but take a moment to consider this - hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people around the word found what Sagan did hilarious. Just because you post in a self-righteous, pseudo-intellectual, indignant manner does not mean that your point of view is correct. In fact, the venom in some of your posts would lead me to believe that you are bitter that you are fighting a loosing battle with the "Neanderthal" masses perhaps?

I find posts decrying pseudo-intellectualism while using the term 'pseudo-intellectual' hilarious. That doesn't make those posts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Bit of a laugh. What's the matter, can't you take a joke? Just a bit of fun.

The catch cries of bullies, sexist pigs and racists the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭youtheman

Shur it could have been worse, he could have doen something like Berlusconi and the Traffic Warden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqKLaqC3jqY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I find posts decrying pseudo-intellectualism while using the term 'pseudo-intellectual' hilarious. That doesn't make those posts right.

He also referred to your posts as myopic. I think he can be ignored.

What Sagan did was wrong and he, thankfully, has acknowledged that and apologised. He's a young, naieve man who has perhaps has had a formative period where he was the centre of attention and got away with things he otherwise wouldn't. Hopefully things like this will help him to mature, without removing the personality that people either love or hate, but simply can't stay neutral too. He's great for the sport, broadly speaking, but that doesn't mean he's immune from doing daft things.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭redzerredzer

from female cycling friends, who've had their arses grabbed during races.

BULL****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

BULL****

It's not bull. I know some ladies who have experienced this.

BULL****

:confused: Why would I make it up? You think of the ~1000* people who take part in races throughout the year, there's not one or two who think it's "just a bit of fun" to pinch someone's bum? This thread has sadly shown there's plenty of them about.

*figure may or may not be correct

So in the middle of a race, somebody reached over, because he just couldnt resist, and grabbed a bum.

Was this in the peloton? During a two person break away? Was there any supporters or race officials around?

:confused: Why would I make it up? You think of the ~1000* people who take part in races throughout the year, there's not one or two who think it's "just a bit of fun" to pinch someone's bum? This thread has sadly shown there's plenty of them about.

*figure may or may not be correct

I think of the 1000s of people who race there is probably 50 who might think its ''just a bit of fun'' in the bar after the race, while drunk.

I dont believe somebody thought it could be somehow funny in the middle of a race or somebody just could not stop his urge for ass at that moment.

Wow, a self-appointed representative of the "neanderthals" going online to post a pseudo-intellectual swing of his/her handbag at others. I think you may have lost the vote of your supposed core supporters there. When the neanderthals reject you you know you are in a bad place, maybe a good hug will help. *hug*

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I dont believe somebody thought it could be somehow funny in the middle of a race or somebody just could not stop his urge for ass at that moment.

Oh it happens alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

doozerie wrote: »
    "neanderthals"

Q. Are we being dis-respectful to the neanderthals ?!? :o:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

It happened to me.
    Girl leaned out of a car to pinch my bum.

So in the middle of a race, somebody reached over, because he just couldnt resist, and grabbed a bum.

You seem to be assuming that such an action is motivated by the person's desire to feel someone's bum because they find it so desirable. It seems to me that you are overlooking other motivators there (a desire to belittle/demean/bully the other person, because "it's a laugh", because it makes the culprit feel more manly (or something), etc.), some of which might be more prevalent in the middle of a race.

The sheer malevolence of such an action on the part of the culprit is often overlooked too regardless of what might appear to be their motivation. There can be a tendency to dismiss such sexual harassment/assault as if somehow it's a positive experience for the victim by confirming their sexual appeal and that therefore the harasser is doing something vaguely good. I'm not saying that's your stance, but that seems to me to be the tone of several of the posts on this thread so far. For some people empathy is beneath them, or something, though I'd guess that if they were the victim of harassment themselves they'd be very bothered if they got no empathy from others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

surely you're not saying, in the middle of an event where a bunch of guys are fighting to be top dog, fueled up on testosterone, surrounded by club members/rivals, that a rider might do something to look cool in front of his mates? surely if this were the case you'd have seen it in other places. I mean simply googling builders whistles would return no hits right?

it's friday, i felt like being tongue in cheek. apologies..:)

Advertisement