Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sagan Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

He is trying to look like Wolverine. He has wolverine eye's on his helmet as well.

Yup, not to mention on the bike top tube aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

His bike:

10394599_339275272890531_4624802531510012626_n.jpg

The helmet:

10527520_342674565883935_3859748029400044444_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Don't forget the Hair! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

This new humble, quiet sagan is a nice lad eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

how can you not love him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 friendbot

Yeah screw Peter Sagan, how dare he be young and have fun!
    I think he's awesome :D

2014 highlights video of Sagan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

So what do we predict for Peter Sagan in 2015 ...How many monuments will he win ???
    Oleg Tonkov is looking for 2 or 3 and will be dissapointed otherwise but won't kill him :eek: (the truth in mirth ?)

I suppose if you pay £ 3 million + for someone you do expect the goods....

Its hard to see Sagan wining 2/3 monuments when you see how strong Ettix Quickstep are and Cancelara ....Stannard, Thomas & Wiggins, and I think John Degenkolb looks incredible
    Also Kristoff , Haussler Van Avermaet, Boom, Van Summeran, EBH (in the MTN team that are looking to win a classic and are going to dissrupt the status quo) ??

So many good riders...Its hard to guarantee wins these days..alot of pressure on young shoulders ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

MPFG wrote: »
    So what do we predict for Peter Sagan in 2015 ...How many monuments will he win ???
    Oleg Tonkov is looking for 2 or 3 and will be dissapointed otherwise but won't kill him :eek: (the truth in mirth ?)

I suppose if you pay £ 3 million + for someone you do expect the goods....

Its hard to see Sagan wining 2/3 monuments when you see how strong Ettix Quickstep are and Cancelara ....Stannard, Thomas & Wiggins, and I think John Degenkolb looks incredible
    Also Kristoff , Haussler Van Avermaet, Boom, Van Summeran, EBH (in the MTN team that are looking to win a classic and are going to dissrupt the status quo) ??

So many good riders...Its hard to guarantee wins these days..alot of pressure on young shoulders ??

I predict another season of nearlys in the monuments. He's still only a young lad though, so it's not the end of the world for him.

I'd like to see him win a few though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Brian? wrote: »
    I predict another season of nearlys in the monuments.
    Milan San Remo might suit him but other than that I don't see him doing too much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Milan San Remo might suit him but other than that I don't see him doing too much.

He is capable of winning any of the monuments in his career, IMO. LBL and GdL may be beyond his reach right now, but if he sheds weight and targets them he has the ability.

This season his best chance is MSR, followed by the Tour of Flanders and Pari-Roubaix. If Tinkoff-Saxo can burn off the sprinters in MSR he stands an excellent chance.

Funny, looking back at the history of the monuments, it amazes me that Kelly never won the Tour of Flanders.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

MPFG wrote: »
    EBH (in the MTN team that are looking to win a classic and are going to dissrupt the status quo) ??

MTN already disrupted the status quo when Ciolek won MSR two seasons ago. :D

To be honest the classics are now a numbers game, you have to have men in breaks, you have to have men protecting your #1 rider so that they arrive at the business end of the race without having wasted any effort. Sagan has the ability to follow Cancellara, Boonen etc but he hasn't the team to protect him and his reserves - look at the way Cancellara just motored away from him at the business end of Flanders last year.

The only upside for this season for him is that he's had his horrible bike position sorted out and he's got some people round him that have done well in classics before so he will learn more. Reckon he'll pick up a semi classic or two this season but no monument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

Without wanting to seem to harsh on an extremely talented rider. His last couple of seasons he hasn't displayed the same level of dominance that he did in 2011/12. If I didn't know any better i'd say he's lost a little off his top end speed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's normal. A lot of the great classics riders started out as top bunch sprinters before losing a little finishing speed. Boonen was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

That's normal. A lot of the great classics riders started out as top bunch sprinters before losing a little finishing speed. Boonen was the same.

Sean Kelly too. I see Sagan setting a green Jersey record but Id love to see him rack up a couple of monument wins. hopefully this is the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

it amazes me that Kelly never won the Tour of Flanders.
    He must have got the calculation wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I predict another season of nearlys in the monuments. He's still only a young lad though, so it's not the end of the world for him.

I'd like to see him win a few though.

Maybe not the end of the world but wouldn't like to be in his shoes with Tinkov on your case ...If he doesn't he (and we) will hear about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Junior wrote: »
    MTN already disrupted the status quo when Ciolek won MSR two seasons ago. :D

To be honest the classics are now a numbers game, you have to have men in breaks, you have to have men protecting your #1 rider so that they arrive at the business end of the race without having wasted any effort. Sagan has the ability to follow Cancellara, Boonen etc but he hasn't the team to protect him and his reserves - look at the way Cancellara just motored away from him at the business end of Flanders last year.

The only upside for this season for him is that he's had his horrible bike position sorted out and he's got some people round him that have done well in classics before so he will learn more. Reckon he'll pick up a semi classic or two this season but no monument.

Not to dispute the obvious advantage of strength in numbers, but over the last couple of seasons has Cancellara had all that much of a team around him compared to Sagan's situation with Cannondale?

pelevin wrote: »
    Not to dispute the obvious advantage of strength in numbers, but over the last couple of seasons has Cancellara had all that much of a team around him compared to Sagan's situation with Cannondale?

Yeah he had, I'm sure it was last years Flanders or the year before Trek hit the front on a couple of sections and destroyed the bunch. I think Dirk Demol said the win was a great team victory - Cancellara had 4 riders working hard for him that day if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

tumblr_nrct5uYJUx1qbmmb3o1_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

happytramp wrote: »
    Without wanting to seem to harsh on an extremely talented rider. His last couple of seasons he hasn't displayed the same level of dominance that he did in 2011/12. If I didn't know any better i'd say he's lost a little off his top end speed.

Thats what was said about Kellly after he went from Flandria to Splendor...
    Also Kelly didn't win his first classic until he was 27.

Sagan is doing very nicely thank you very much.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭theflamingpig

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That gif has completely destroyed my computer/connection

I suppose it was inevitable that he was going to fall off at some point! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Can't link as I'm on the phone but for anyone who missed Sundays finally of the Abu Dhabi Tour, the route covered laps of the F1 circuit and Sagan took advantage of the pit lane stopping for a bike change. Can't help but to love the fun he brings to the sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Can't link as I'm on the phone but for anyone who missed Sundays finally of the Abu Dhabi Tour, the route covered laps of the F1 circuit and Sagan took advantage of the pit lane stopping for a bike change. Can't help but to love the fun he brings to the sport!

and
    bettiniphoto_0227838_1_full-760x506.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Promo film for a sponsor.........You got to hand it to Sagan and his missus.....!

If it fails to load, put GREASE SUN ROOT into YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I only saw this for the first time yesterday.

I love that man

Advertisement