Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water temperature

Options
  • 27-03-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Are there any sites that list typical/current water temperatures for the sea? Wondering when its going to be ok to get in the first splash of the year.. race season is looming :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Try here. The M2 buoy is about 37 km off Howth Head but it'll still give an indication of what it'll be like in the bay. 7.9 degrees at the moment. [Puts wetsuit back in wardrobe.]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Was taking a quick look at the TI site, but cant seem to find details on required water temperature before a race would be cancelled or have its swim cut short? After the concern over water temperature at tri an mhi last year I'd meant to look it up before now... anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

kingQuez wrote: »
    Was taking a quick look at the TI site, but cant seem to find details on required water temperature before a race would be cancelled or have its swim cut short? After the concern over water temperature at tri an mhi last year I'd meant to look it up before now... anyone know?

13 degrees - see last years thread.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056619434?page=3

Think its more the temp before and after outside the water that's a factor also as if its a warm day then swim be grand.

Think that's a factor in Tri an Mhi moved to a 12pm start and also a week later this year.

Didn't sound like it was too bad for those that raced it?
    The 2 laps prob helped.

Ill be in the ow in a few weeks for prep I think. Shock the systen sooner rather than later!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Bambatta usually talks himself up every year to be in OW swimming by Paddys Day but it never seems to quiet happen like that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Fazz wrote: »

Think that's a factor in Tri an Mhi moved to a 12pm start and also a week later this year.

Didn't sound like it was too bad for those that raced it?
    The 2 laps prob helped.

Oh it was bad alright! Quite a few couldn't carry on after the swim and gave up in T1. Others came back on their bikes after just a few kms of cycling.

I'll never forget how cold I was in T1 that day! I think I'd covered about 20kms on the bike before I felt warm.

The interpretation of the rule that day was 'the water temperature and air temperature are too low so we'll make the swim longer by doing two laps instead of one'. (Maybe it was my imagination but it felt like the swim was longer than 1900m)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Water was 11 degrees that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

catweazle wrote: »
    Bambatta usually talks himself up every year to be in OW swimming by Paddys Day but it never seems to quiet happen like that :p

Id a quick splash without the suit Paddys day off the west coast. I wasn't in long, it was cold ... but no where near as bad as I thought it would be. That said, with the amount of snow about right now and wind direction, Id imagine it's fairly fresh in the Irish Sea. I still plan to start the acclimatisation process in the last 2 weeks of April - but seriously, enough of Winter for one year !

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

kingQuez wrote: »
    Are there any sites that list typical/current water temperatures for the sea? Wondering when its going to be ok to get in the first splash of the year.. race season is looming :)

I use www.yr.no for the weather as it has proved to be fairly accurate (to the hour!) a fair amount of the time. It's the Norwegian met office website. I'm sure there is a water temp section on the site.
    Generally it's May by the time sea temps are a "reasonable" temp but rivers tend to take longer to warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Begs wrote: »
    I use www.yr.no for the weather as it has proved to be fairly accurate (to the hour!) a fair amount of the time. It's the Norwegian met office website. I'm sure there is a water temp section on the site.
    Generally it's May by the time sea temps are a "reasonable" temp but rivers tend to take longer to warm up.

Went for a swim on the first weekend of May last year and the first 5 minutes were very hard on my head/face.

Will try it again this year. :o

Its ok once your body adjusts a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

catweazle wrote: »

None of that this year for me thank god as im aiming at an October peak race rather than a May one like the last two years! I will get in by the end of this month though as ive first race end of May.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bambaata wrote: »
    None of that this year for me thank god as im aiming at an October peak race rather than a May one like the last two years! I will get in by the end of this month though as ive first race end of May.

Give me a shout if up my way as i also plan on getting in by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

I found this site today which displays water temperatures for areas where the OPW has responbility for. Its mainly rivers/lakes but it does seem to have information for the sea temperature in some harbours around the country

http://waterlevel.ie/

Anyway it might help some of ye out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

vigos wrote: »
    I found this site today which displays water temperatures for areas where the OPW has responbility for. Its mainly rivers/lakes but it does seem to have information for the sea temperature in some harbours around the country

http://waterlevel.ie/

Anyway it might help some of ye out.

chers for that, going to bookmark it. shows water in lough derg (Scariff reading) as still less than 7.5C.

anyone braving OW yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

mossym wrote: »
    anyone braving OW yet?

I'd be willing to give it a shot this week or if anyone else is keen (Dublin area)?
    Thursday after work? Seapoint perhaps.
    Even just for 20 minutes or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I was surfing in Strandhill at the weekend and the water was much warmer than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

BTH wrote: »
    I was surfing in Strandhill at the weekend and the water was much warmer than I expected.

Were you sober or still drunk and unable to tell the difference? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

In fear of getting a ban from the mod I won't suggest there may have been a new type of tri-suit employed under his wetsuit.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    Were you sober or still drunk and unable to tell the difference? :D

I was certainly feeling quite tender that morning.
    interested wrote: »
    In fear of getting a ban from the mod I won't suggest there may have been a new type of tri-suit employed under his wetsuit.

:cool:

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I went in at Rosses Point 2 weeks ago and by God it was cold then.
    NW is definitely a couple of degrees warmer than the East coast at any time fo the year though.

I suppose a wetsuit might have made a difference.

want to try and get at least a couple of weeks OW swimming in before tri athy, which will be my first, at this rate might have to pull out my old 7mm diving wetsuit and go for it.

• Advertisement

I went in at Rosses Point 2 weeks ago and by God it was cold then.
    NW is definitely a couple of degrees warmer than the East coast at any time fo the year though.

I suppose a wetsuit might have made a difference.

:eek::eek: ouch. i was cold cycling two weeks ago. ocean without a wetsuit?

mossym wrote: »
    :eek::eek: ouch. i was cold cycling two weeks ago. ocean without a wetsuit?

Was not a big swim, about 0.01m but I did get fully immersed!

Wind chill was horrendous on the body and I had a pair of tonsils for a week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scrawnybawny

yeah was beginning to worry about lack of OW at this point in the season, so after 20 miuntes of staring at the wind whipping up the sea on sunday, i eventually went in for a quick dip at Seapoint.

even with wetsuit i had to stop every few minutes to try get some blood goin in the hands and feet (mad thrashing in the water was all i could think of to manage this)
    keeping the head in the water took serious effort though - talk about brain freeze!!

i came out after 20 minutes with purple hands, :(face and feet - felt like they'd shatter if i hit them off anything!!

but was buzzing afterwards and one of the obligatory 'old dears' of seapoint offered me a swig of her hot tea afterwards!!

i would have struggled to do more than 20 minutes but i'm hoping thats the worst one out of the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Any fear of Tri An Mhi being pulled becasue of Water Temp ?

Valentia could well be a Duathlon i hear, and the water is surely warmer down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

miller82 wrote: »

Valentia could well be a Duathlon i hear, and the water is surely warmer down there

What:eek:? Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

uh-oh

not saying its fact :) ....just heard a rumour of it at club training.

miller82 wrote: »
    uh-oh

not saying its fact :) ....just heard a rumour of it at club training.

Make sure you scotch that rumour quickly! If we can't get in the Kerry waters, in May, with wetsuits, then we may as well give up the whole lark altogether :D

AFAIK the water temperature has to be 11˚C, anything under and the swim is cancelled:

Para 3:13 Tri Ireland Guidance Manual
    Open Water swimming will not take place where the water temperature is less than 11°C.

Well aparently its 10.8 degress in Loughrea today, and it is a baltic spot to swim at any time of the year.

Valentia was cold last year, but fine once you got down into it.

From that TI doc:
    Modifications
    If weather conditions dictate, i.e., ambient air temperature the TD can adapt the limits on wetsuit use. A ruling on wetsuit use will be made 24 hours before the start of the race, with the final ruling one hour before the start, by the Race Referee and will be clearly communicated to the competitors.
    (The minimum temperature for a standard distance swim (1500m) is 12.5°c)
      1. Open Water swimming will not take place where the water temperature is less than 11°C.
      1. When air temperature, wind and/or other weather conditions call for it, the swimming course may be shortened and/or the start delayed.
    Thankfully, I can't see them shortenting the swim in Valentia. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

12.5° must have the Tri an Mhí at risk? The 12pm start might save it I guess?

Advertisement