Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water temperature

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

12.5° must have the Tri an Mhí at risk? The 12pm start might save it I guess?

Problem with lakes is all the fresh water flowing into them. Could end up with a shortened swim.

There's some detail in an ITU manual about water and air temps combined and decisions on the day by officials.

Can't exactly leave the immersion on over night. :P

Seas in the NW are generally warmer, I noticed there's a couple of degrees difference from Killiney Bay and Sligo. Does the Irish sea ever warm up?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm not f*cking doing it if its a shortened swim or a duathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

The words of a REAL triathlete....... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

wouldnt be bothered going to Meath if its a duathlon myself

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

There's some detail in an ITU manual about water and air temps combined and decisions on the day by officials.

I reckon that's why the start is at midday. The ambient temperature will be enough to offset the fact that the lake will be ferociously cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I didn't think Valentia was cold last year at all considering. No where near as cold as Dublin ow anyway so see no issue there at all. Such a short swim its surely v unlikely of a change IMO.

For Tri an Mhi:

It'll be grand and same as last year but a bit warmer outside hopefully eh! :-)

I do plan on jumping into this ice bath in the not too distant future.
    Anyone know is it an open lake for swimming or are there rules?
    Sure if I'm early enough then no harm no foul? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

miller82 wrote: »
    wouldnt be bothered going to Meath if its a duathlon myself

Just as well..... The race is in westmeath :)

I'm TO on the day (one of them anyway)... If I had to swim in it last year there's no way you're not getting wet this year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BTH wrote: »
    The words of a REAL triathlete....... :p

A real triathlete would do it either way and have no concern over distance. Stop bullying me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A real triathlete would do it either way and have no concern over distance. Stop bullying me. :mad:

In fairness I think he's pulled a reverse, reverse, reverse psychology move on you there.

A real triathlete would be p1ssed if the swim was pulled or shortened.

Ergo you are a real triathlete, stop denying it and give into the dark arts, forget this 'running' business! :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

some definite increases coming on, couple of bouys i checked were up a degree in the last week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I was in Wicklow Harbour for about 25 minutes at lunchtime- feet and hands hurt at first, but that didn't last too long. But- the brain freeze! That took a little getting used to:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I was in Wicklow Harbour for about 25 minutes at lunchtime- feet and hands hurt at first, but that didn't last too long. But- the brain freeze! That took a little getting used to:D

Thats awesome, well done !

after all these years they found you had one

;)

After ten minutes my shivering was controlled enough to begin a frozen front crawl, the severe pain from an exploding immersed face only momentarily eased from the small comfort of sucking limited heat from exhaled air... my blue hands cut through the sharp water and I contemplated bailing... "Give it fifteen more minutes, think of what your coach would want you to do..."

And insults instead of praise is my reward. I'm betting those coaching certs you have didn't test "people skills"?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

After ten minutes my shivering was controlled enough to begin a frozen front crawl, the severe pain from an exploding immersed face only momentarily eased from the small comfort of sucking limited heat from exhaled air... my blue hands cut through the sharp water and I contemplated bailing... "Give it fifteen more minutes, think of what your coach would want you to do..."

And insults instead of praise is my reward. I'm betting those coaching certs you have didn't test "people skills"?;)

I really should look at those certs - especially if you're acclimatising for a 750 swim next month by spending 25 mins in the open water. Reckon if I can stay in for around 9 Ill be fine.

interested wrote: »
    I really should look at those certs - especially if you're acclimatising for a 750 swim next month by spending 25 mins in the open water. Reckon if I can stay in for around 9 Ill be fine.

Including time spent in water getting hands and feet acclimatized, splashing water on face, get breathing under control? Easy does it, don't want any shock to the system when the gun goes! Admittedly I'm probably talking through my arse, cf. brain void above.

(Timely email just now from Valentia: " time for your mandatory open water swim which should be at least 500 meters!")

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

my plan all along was to hold off till may and go then. first tri ever in June so figured should get in.

now realising that is next week.....hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

I got in yesterday. Spent longer getting the wetsuit on than I did in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was going to ask you when you were starting up your midweek swims in the harbour again but I think April is a bit early for me!!!!!!

Advertisement