Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord House Raid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

A landlord is entitled to enter their property in an emergency situation.

Would people here not consider having 45 non-residents being ejected from your property by the Gardai who have been called by members of the public as an emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Ahh, is it usual for tenants to give the landlord their parent's email address?

OP, were the guards called that morning?

How often do you have ten people sleeping in an apartment that's let to five people?

I agree he's out of line, but wonder if there's another side to the story that we haven't heard.

Seriously?! You're not related to the LL are you? :rolleyes:

We rent a property as a family of four. Our 5 year old had a party on Saturday and we had lots of other 5 year olds over, lots of noise too I might add as they were all high/drunk on sugar.. Didn't know there was a law which stated you need to get LLs permission to have x number of people over whilst paying the full amount of rent each month.

I have always detested the way students are sometimes treated by LLs.

Yes, this LL is out of line, and your post is too.

Good luck, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Zamboni wrote: »

Would people here not consider having 45 non-residents being ejected from your property by the Gardai who have been called by members of the public as an emergency?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

No. I have a suspicion the landlord is a perv and wanted to get a glimpse of something with 5 young girls there.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Marcusm wrote: »
    In granting the lease, he has passed over exclusive possession of the property to you; he will have known that the person who let him in the door was not a tenant and therefore did not invite him in. Running around the house roaring and pulling duvets from beds with people in them will have created fear. This is not a civil case or a matter for PRTB or Threshold. This is a matter of criminal trespass and possibly assault (raising or causing apprehension or fear of violence). You need to find (preferably) a parent and go to the guards. A parent so that it cannot be dismissed as relating to a tenancy dispute. If you cannot involve a parent, speak with FLAC (free legal advice centre) or ask student welfare officer to provide you with access to a solicitor.

I'm a landlord and wouldn't consider one iota of this as acceptable.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭anndub

I'd almost say I lived in one of this landlords properties when I was in college. We went through an almost identical scenario except the huge party was in our case, a figment of his imagination. We suffered landlord storming through the property on a number of occasions and being pretty threatening. The situation escalated through out the year with many unpleasant run ins.

I'd suggest you get straight onto threshold before it gets out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

This scumbag was way out of order. If he's not registered with the PRTB, report him.
    I'd get legal advice if I were you. I had a landlord like that years ago and he tried to threaten me. I got my solicitor on to him when he tried to withhold my deposit.
    He settled. Got my deposit back and he paid my legal fees.
    DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED by these parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Big Davey wrote: »
    No. I have a suspicion the landlord is a perv and wanted to get a glimpse of something with 5 young girls there.

This.... and by the sounds of it the tenants are quite young and this creep has taken advantage of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Definitely a possible sexual element to it. I'd inform the gardai about him pulling the bed sheets and having a good look at the female beneath. There was probably some "accidental" touching whilst he did this. The gardai will be very supportive about this. Maybe let his wife know what he is getting up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

My advice is don't have a big party with 50 people, with police being called and not expect the landlord/owner of the building to simply be totally chilled about it.

I mean, what is reasonable here? His response seems like someone who is reacting spontaneously to possible massive damage to property and way beyond the safety limits of the property e.g., fire hazard, etc., could be drugs, furniture damaged, etc., .

You read about Project X type events happening, this is his natural reaction, especially as the police were there. Maybe next time be courteous and ask the neighboursd and the landlords permission. Most apartment blocks forbid parties, students or not, for that number of people. You've likely broken the conditions of the management company in hosting the party and the lease.

Usually lease's include standard descriptions of causing a nuisance to neighbours, for example.

Or as is becoming apparent, blow his response all out of proportion and avoid dealing with your childish behaviour of having a party that needed the police to put a stop to it. It obviously wasn't a bloody tupperware get-together with pastries and cheese-on-a-stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

dissed doc wrote: »
    My advice is don't have a big party with 50 people, with police being called and not expect the landlord/owner of the building to simply be totally chilled about it.

I mean, what is reasonable here? His response seems like someone who is reacting spontaneously to possible massive damage to property and way beyond the safety limits of the property e.g., fire hazard, etc., .

Are you having a laugh.

His behavior is totally unacceptable. People have parties all the time. I had 25/30 family and friends in my apartment over Xmas. If the landlord doesn't like it, he's in the wrong game.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh.

His behavior is totally unacceptable. People have parties all the time. I had 25/30 family and friends in my apartment over Xmas. If the landlord doesn't like it, he's in the wrong game.

Causing a nuisance that requires having the police arrive is not a typical party. It was obviously going overboard. Did you have police and double the people at your last Christmas party? Is that not also entirely OT?

For reference:

•Your landlord is only allowed to enter your home with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement, except in an emergency

I suspect if the washing machine had been broken in the party, the tenant's rights brigade would be demanding repairs.

It's clearly an emergency if the police are at a property (the Gardai *are* the "emergency services" FFS) and the resulting damage is unknown. If there is a pTRB complaint, evidence needs to be seen as to the state of the property after the damage (police, drugs, flooding, etc., )

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You can have a one man party and if someone calls the guards they will turn up ,
    5 people sharing an apartment 50 people turn up for a party,
    Loud music somebody calls the gardai doesn't mean anything untoward was going on ,
    Been renting apartments for 14 years and never had a lease saying no party's or limits on how many people coming to any apartments for a party /dinner party/to watch movies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

His behavior is totally unacceptable by the sounds of it but in my opinion your behavior of having a 50+ people party that involves the guards being called is totally unacceptable too.

He is giving landlords a bad name and you are giving students a bad name. While I admit I went to a few of those parties in my time at college, as a property owner now I can only imagine the grief that we caused the people living nearby. Where are peoples sense of neighbourlyness??

But yeah, report this muppet. No landlord should behave like that, absolutely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

emily 930.. just leave, best advice i can give. clean the place up and give your notice, make sure youve done everything legally possible to keep your deposit intact. if you haven't done anything wrong, then youve nothing to worry about (you can contact threshold and theyll help you out there), having a few drinks and making a bit of noise because you had a party is not cause to lose your deposit, neither is having a few friends over (unless hes really that small minded to mention the fact). in my experience as a tenant landlords like that are just not worth the bother. youll only be stressed and worried, and thats not how you should feel in your home.

just my 2 cents

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ahh, is it usual for tenants to give the landlord their parent's email address?

Well mammy and daddy are probably the ones paying the rent, can't see how 5 students are paying €600 a month each.

And yeah, having the Gardai called within 6 months of moving in I'd be pretty pissed off too if I was the landlord. But he was out of order in what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I mean, what is reasonable here? His response seems like someone who is reacting spontaneously to possible massive damage to property and way beyond the safety limits of the property e.g., fire hazard, etc., could be drugs, furniture damaged, etc., .

You read about Project X type events happening, this is his natural reaction, especially as the police were there. Maybe next time be courteous and ask the neighboursd and the landlords permission. Most apartment blocks forbid parties, students or not, for that number of people. You've likely broken the conditions of the management company in hosting the party and the lease.

Usually lease's include standard descriptions of causing a nuisance to neighbours, for example.

Or as is becoming apparent, blow his response all out of proportion and avoid dealing with your childish behaviour of having a party that needed the police to put a stop to it. It obviously wasn't a bloody tupperware get-together with pastries and cheese-on-a-stick.
    emily930 wrote: »
    This Monday, the 25th, we had a predrinks party before a night out. About 50 guests were here from between 8-11 and to be honest it was a loud party. The guards were called and they were very nice, told us to get everyone out and turn down the music which we did. We went out and there was nothing more thought of it.

We do accept full responsibility for the party and we have called over to our neighbours, of which we are friendly with, to apologize for the noise.

This is where the issue arises- the next morning I was awoken to our landlord bulling through the house, in a hurricane like rage shouting at the top of his lungs. One of our guests opened the door and he charged in unannounced shouting for any non-residents to get out of 'his house'. He was cursing and causing a massive scene on the second floor when I woke.

Mere minutes later he charged upstairs, came into my bedroom, pulled the duvet off myself and my boyfriend ordering him out of the house. To be honest I was mortified and didn't know what to do. The landlord proceeded to take photos of the house, the mess from the party and ensured all non-residents had left. He then sent an absolute stinker email to all our parents making our college home sound as if it had been destroyed, which is absolutely not the case. He also informed them of the 'non-resident males on the premises' and made our house sound like a brothel.

Read the above. How do you square the fact the LL charged into the OP's room and tore the covers off a (probably naked) couple, thereby getting himself an eyeful into the bargain? How the bloody hell is that reasonable?

As for emailing the parents? WHY??? Unless the parents stood guarantor for the lease, it has nothing to do with them. Sounds like he was ****-stirring to me.
    I mean, what is reasonable here? His response seems like someone who is reacting spontaneously to possible massive damage to property and way beyond the safety limits of the property e.g., fire hazard, etc., could be drugs, furniture damaged, etc.,

Hardly spontaneous. The LL turned up the NEXT DAY, storming through the house, ripping covers off the tenants and generally behaving like an ****. Who's the childish one here?

If he was that worried about the damage, then all he has to do is take the deposit. Simple. And as the rent's 3k p.m, it's not exactly 2/6.

IMO, the landlord's behaviour was disgusting. Of course, we only have one side, but I hardly think the OP's going to come on here and tell porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Joe Hart wrote: »
    Definitely a possible sexual element to it. I'd inform the gardai about him pulling the bed sheets and having a good look at the female beneath. There was probably some "accidental" touching whilst he did this. The gardai will be very supportive about this. Maybe let his wife know what he is getting up to.
    Advocating making false claims to the Garda is not acceptable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Do people actually believe that post? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

For reference:

•Your landlord is only allowed to enter your home with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement, except in an emergency

I suspect if the washing machine had been broken in the party, the tenant's rights brigade would be demanding repairs.

It's clearly an emergency if the police are at a property (the Gardai *are* the "emergency services" FFS) and the resulting damage is unknown. If there is a pTRB complaint, evidence needs to be seen as to the state of the property after the damage (police, drugs, flooding, etc., )

It what the next day that the landlord showed up. If he showed up while the party was in swing, i.e. during the 'emergency' then he might have a leg to stand on.

But he didn't, he showed up like a raging bull the next morning, after the dust had settled and the Gardai were long gone.

The landlord is 100% in the wrong here, he has zero defence and I hope the OP nails this cowboy. This behaviour is exactly what I was talking about on another thread when I said that some Irish landlords are total amateurs.

There is due process for landlords who feel aggrieved in cases like these. If they follow due process and then are in the right then the PRTB will rule in their favour and rightly so.

But when you have amateurs like this cowboy who thinks he can break every rule in the book and barge into someones HOME then he deserves everything thing the OP has in their arsenal, which as it stands is reporting him to the PRTB for breaking the lease and not registering it in the first place, reporting him to the Gardai for criminal trespass and reporting him to the Revenue for non-payment of tax. Then put the cherry on the cake a take a civil action against him for the undue stress faced by the five girls who were frightened out of their minds by his aggressive behaviour. I'd hazard a guess that a good solicitor could easily net them €2k damages per person x 5 = €10,000 plus their legal costs of another grand.

There's an expensive lesson for him to learn here and I hope the OP has the resolve to teach him it. He might gain a bit of professionalism after he is €10k+ down in damages and begin to learn how the professionals run their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

No emergency there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Your boyfriend should have ejected him and called the guards. He has no more rights than any madman or burglar. Since you were paying too much already you should have grounds to terminate the contract and seek compensation. Speak to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

emily930 wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone for the effort put into these responses, especially quietsailor, we are so grateful. We were unsure how this situation would be viewed by more mature adults, outside our concerned parents, but the responses have encouraged us to definitely take this further. What would people advise doing first? We have since cleaned the entire house and the landlord has said he's coming here on Thursday, but this is unlikely.

Inform the LL that under no condition is he welcome. You are taking legal action and the gardaí will be called if he is seen near the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Your allowed to have a party with loud music until 11 pm. He can't withhold your deposit cause the house was dirty but if it was damaged. If I were you i threaten to call revenue ( call them when you leave anyway) and threaten to call the city council and say the house isn't up to spec( theyre weird regulations that a rented property must have such as a vent of a particular size in each room).

He can't evict for one party without warning. But he sounds like a full on nut job. I would file a Garda report for harassment

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

2nd landlord nutcase this week on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

For reference:

An emergency would be where the LL has no response from tenants and fears for their safety, or if entry to the property is required to prevent (further)damage to his property in the event of a burst pipe or roof damage etc when the tenants are away and permission can't be got any other way.

There was no emergency and no reason for entering the property with or without permission!

OP did he have the camera in hand when he took the duvet off you and your boyfriend?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Few Questions.

1. is all the tennents over 18?
    2. why does he have your Parents contact details?

Please please PLEASE Perseus this. The more Landlords are exposed and made to pay for Illegal Acts the Safer it will be for all tennents.

I would totally contact the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

People have already suggested legal advice, I would go down that route. I would do it BEFORE going near the gardai, there's every possibility that the landlord is a garda or former garda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Bambi wrote: »
    People have already suggested legal advice, I would go down that route. I would do it BEFORE going near the gardai, there's every possibility that the landlord is a garda or former garda.
    Legal route for what?
    There is some awful advice on this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement