Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Wednesday am
    Turbo. I have a need for speed, so this was reminding myself what high cadence feels like. I started off with some single leg drills, then spent 30 or so minutes doing 50 on 70 off of spin ups. It was horrible. So it must have been useful, too. Very warm on the bike but I am savouring every muggy minute because I remember all those cold winter days when I could never get warm enough. 55 minutes.

And somehow, even after that, I'm still half asleep.

Wednesday pm
    Sea swim. This was the best sea swim this year by far. Flat calm, sunny and warm. A bit of a current down the beach but just gave you something to work against. 1640 in 38mins but the southwards swim took twice as long as the opposite direction. I really enjoyed this, so pleasant.

A conversation about bikes afterwards unsettled me though. As usual I ended up having to explain my woeful skills to someone who doesn't know me well, to the usual raised eyebrows and disbelief. Comparing sizes and fitting also reinforced the fact that my bike is too big and that's not helping. I wish there were a magic wand that would give me the bike skills that the rest of the population instinctively has. :(

Up bright and early for some short fast bike work. (road bike) Outside today, too nice a day to waste. I did back and forth reps on a rolling mile long route, with short recovery spins. The idea was to go as fast as I could for as long as I could.
    The first was a w/u of sorts, the next three timed like this: 6.28, 6.25, 6.15. Times are for out and back lap. So getting faster each time which is good, I think. Time ran out at that point so I sauntered home. I practiced my bike handling along the way, and was glad to see it is improving. Must Keep At It.

A quiet day yesterday, just a short swim in the evening. The pool was too warm again and full of kids so I never got into a steady swim, just a mix of drills while I avoided flying beachballs and wee kids on woggles. 1240m while my two did their swim exams AND PASSED :). My son is now officially a better swimmer than me.

I was wrecked afterwards (we all were), I blame the overheated water.

Early xc this morning, same route as last time but 'at our own pace'. So I did. Ended up running alone, but I doubled back a few times to pick up the group. No matter what I did today I couldn't get the guys to dig in and chase. I like having someone at my shoulder pushing on but not today :(.

As usual went in the sea afterwards but it was filthy. Full of some weird algae and it STANK. I hope its a temporary thing, it would be a shame if the water quality deteriorates. I did my usual swim but it was disgusting. Made the liffey seem clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Fantastic... Well done to your two passing the swim exams..
    Eugh to the description of sea. I would have turned on my heel , so I commend you for your determination ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

Oryx wrote: »
    A quiet day yesterday, just a short swim in the evening. The pool was too warm again and full of kids so I never got into a steady swim, just a mix of drills while I avoided flying beachballs and wee kids on woggles. 1240m while my two did their swim exams AND PASSED :). My son is now officially a better swimmer than me.

I was wrecked afterwards (we all were), I blame the overheated water.

Early xc this morning, same route as last time but 'at our own pace'. So I did. Ended up running alone, but I doubled back a few times to pick up the group. No matter what I did today I couldn't get the guys to dig in and chase. I like having someone at my shoulder pushing on but not today :(.

As usual went in the sea afterwards but it was filthy. Full of some weird algae and it STANK. I hope its a temporary thing, it would be a shame if the water quality deteriorates. I did my usual swim but it was disgusting. Made the liffey seem clean!

if you where down in curacloe beach, there has been word about an oil spill, I only got this second hand so I'm not certain on the details, the good news is there haven't been any ill effects, at least not for swimmers. We're avoiding it at the moment.

hypersonic wrote: »
    if you where down in curacloe beach, there has been word about an oil spill, I only got this second hand so I'm not certain on the details, the good news is there haven't been any ill effects, at least not for swimmers. We're avoiding it at the moment.

Yeah it was there. Smelled like rotten seaweed and looked like algal bloom. Ive seen it to a lesser extent in rosslare lots of times. Never seen an oil spill but this seemed natural. I hope it clears soon though. It makes the beach pretty unusable.

Did the (little) dragon sportif today. I decided not to do the 130k, instead I cycled up, did the 75 (actually 80) and cycled home. I really enjoyed the route, lots of variety. The one big bad hill was easier than the troublesome ones in the race two weeks ago, so got up it alright. I like theses sportif things, theyre very fun. With a tea break in the middle and everything. I was first lady home in the short distance for what it's worth. Be nice to do that in a race but ha, some chance.

The ride home was a bit tough cos the wind had got up and I was starting to fade (cant eat all the nice cake they had laid on). A packet of salty crisps from a service station helped but the wind and the hills for the last few miles were hard going. I was glad to get home.

84.2 miles 5.34 ride time.

In other news my 61 year old clubmate is currently going strong on IM Austria bike course. :)

In other news my 61 year old clubmate is currently going strong on IM Austria bike course. :)

And now running strong in the marathon. Phenomenal.

• Advertisement

14:56. One. Awesome. Lady.

Not much to report today. My legs are tired from yesterday, and ones a bit strained, so my only training has been 1100m in the pool while my kids messed about. Then I joined them and got them to coach me doing tumble turns. It may not have been productive but it was fun.
    I'm missing my kettlebells tonight cos I don't think my niggly quads could take it.

I got new running shoes today, I decided to change brands to see if it made any difference. Ended up with basic asics. I tried lunarglides and mizuno wavewotsits but in spite of all the good things I've heard here I couldn't make myself like them. So I'll see how these go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ye need a pair of Saucony :D

Ye need a pair of Saucony :D

NOW you tell me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

NOW you tell me.

Do I need to post a picture of my collection for you? :)

Do I need to post a picture of my collection for you? :)

What shoe size are you....?;)

They're going back. Put them on this morning and even around the house I'm walking out of them. :(

Basic run this morning. My dodgy legs aren't up for speed work. 8.5k in around 43 mins - I forgot to charge my garmin. It's raining and windy. Oh well. Bye summer. It's been fun!

Wednesday am
    Clunky clumsy pool swim. I've no idea why, maybe because distance has been lower lately, or maybe because I'm trying to adjust my stroke.

500m warm up incl. drills, then a pyramid from 100 to 400 and back. 100 s/d of backstroke and bs both of which I hate. But they gotta be done too.

2200m in 55.

Another swim this evening. Sea this time. 1300m in a calm but cool low tide. It was nice once you got used to it.

Afterwards I conducted an interesting experiment. A friend brought down her small frame bike for me to try, as I know mine is a bit big. I didn't realise what a difference it was making. The small was so much more comfortable (tho the seat was way too low). And my skills were suddenly those of a normal person. Heck, I could even use her aero bars without feeling like death was imminent.

Two things are going to happen now. The argon is coming out to play properly (never felt confident on it so far) and I'm looking into getting a smaller frame.

Turbo yesterday. 60 mins. My leg still hurts.

Run this morning. 16.6k. My leg does not hurt when running.

Busy with race prep today. But at least the sun is out!

Busy day yesterday, so no training. Tri's are almost as good to watch as they are to do!

Cycle today. Went down and did the pikeman route. Someone lost a garmin on it yesterday and I know a few of us planned to scout the route and keep an eye for it today. I didn't spot it but it was a great day to be cycling. Sunshine! I love it! Did 39.3 miles easy cos my gammy leg is still not right. Spent 20 mins at the end doing control drills to improve my weak skills. They are working, seeing big improvement. I'm almost like a normal cyclist now.

Ran off the bike, roughly 6k. Woo it was hot. But I'm not complaining. I wish it was like this every day.

• Advertisement

Just a wee run early this morning before the day heated up properly. It was still sticky hot, which I'm loving. Its proper good mood weather. I kept the run easy, getting a few miles in without doing more damage to the knee. 6.75k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Aug 31st is your main focus now ?

Aug 31st is your main focus now ?

It sure is. See if I've improved at all!

It sure is. See if I've improved at all!

If it makes you feel any better i'll be in a heap that evening as well:D

If it makes you feel any better i'll be in a heap that evening as well:D

Thats the finish of your big event?

Thats the finish of your big event?

Noooooooooooooo, i'll still have a lovely 50k run to look forward to on Sept 1st and then its all over !

Monday pm
    I did kettlebells tonight. Got through it but I would have preferred a nap. Every time I sat down yesterday and today I fell asleep. I think that might mean I shouldn't do an early session tomorrow. Kbs were 2 mins of each major move. Squats were the only issue. Damn fecked up leg. :( Must. Phone. Physio.

Haven't. Phoned. Physio. Yet.

I will be sorry.

Tuesday pm
    Sea swim. Sunny, calm, warm and crowded at the beach. Oh but the water was lovely. Mostly lukewarm but with a few refreshing chilly currents. I haven't been in such a nice sea in a few years. The tide was turning, pulling us out to sea. My corrections to that meant I swam all over the place, and if I didn't sight constantly I ended up off course. Good practice though. 1300m

We ran afterwards. Gentle at first, then as usual the pace picked up. Ended up sprinting by the end, though I have lost a bit of top end speed. 5k. 25 minutes for this which is slow. Must try it fullon some day and see what I can do.

Managed to get up and out for a long run this morning. Even though it was early, you could feel the heat building. Of course, being an idiot I forgot sunblock, but early sun still burns. I'm glowing at the moment, and not in a good way! Did 18.4k in 1.47. At the end, the final 4k is all uphill I so was melting, and I hadn't brought a drink because usually I can do 2 hrs without it no problem. Like I said, idiot.

Good run and I am still loving the weather. I should move to Spain. I'd be happy all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

I'm with you on the weather. Its great to heading out for a run in the heat instead of the wind and rain

Advertisement