Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The exhaustion I was feeling for the last week lifted like a cloud yesterday, and today I felt like running. So I ran.

I took off a la forrest gump, taking random loops around the local backroads. I planned to run for two hours and see how far I got. Hit 15k in 80 mins, but from then on I hit the hills so the pace slowed. It was dull out so I didn't bring any water, and even when the sun came out it was ok. I seem to be getting used to that. A few laps up and down my road at the end brought my mileage to 24.1k in 2hrs 11 mins. (I thought a nice round 15 miles sounded nice).

It was all very therapeutic. Though I'm still perplexed about the weird intermittent fatigue.

Had a productive sea swim tonight, I haven't swam enough lately so I needed a little extra ow distance. There was a pretty strong current against me starting out tonight, but it didn't help half as much swimming with it when i turned as I thought it would. I think the wind and the sea were working against each other. I felt clumsy at first - lack of swim time showing - but I settled in eventually. 2060 in 48 mins. Very enjoyable swim.

Followed by a wonderful seafood dinner in a beachside restaurant. Its things like this that make life dead pleasant. This was a great evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    Had a productive sea swim tonight, I haven't swam enough lately so I needed a little extra ow distance. There was a pretty strong current against me starting out tonight, but it didn't help half as much swimming with it when i turned as I thought it would. I think the wind and the sea were working against each other. I felt clumsy at first - lack of swim time showing - but I settled in eventually. 2060 in 48 mins. Very enjoyable swim.

Followed by a wonderful seafood dinner in a beachside restaurant. Its things like this that make life dead pleasant. This was a great evening.

I was just up a few nautical miles from you tonight- there was indeed something magical about the sea this evening.

This morning I did a short spinny turbo. My excuse for keeping it spinny is the instruction not to load my duff knee. 45 sweaty minutes.

This evening I went to the pool. I have to get some quality technical swimming done. This may not have been either, but its a start. 2000m of drills and lung busters.

This morning I did a short spinny turbo. It was exactly the same as yesterday. 45 mins, sweaty, etc. I did not wear socks. I'm trying to convince my feet we don't need them.

This evening I ran. A 2.8k warmup took the stiffness out of my legs and brought me to the quays, where I did 6 x 500m hard with 500 recovery. I'm not sure of my exact pacing, I need to work out how to measure it exactly with the watch. I just know 'hard' is not as hard as I want it to be. It seemed to be around 2:05 per interval on the last two. The rain piddled down but it was warm so who cares. 2.8k handy pace back to my car for a total 11.6k run. It was a good session that I look forward to doing again. 60 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hard should just feel hard :)

Hard should just feel hard :)

Okay, my hard isn't fast enough. :)

Rather than zones 3, 4, 5 I'm gonna work in zones Hard, Harder, Puke.

Friday, pm, cycling.
    Same evening route as I do most weeks, 29k. The wind can be unpredictable, tonight I had it on the home straight. I worked hard this evening, I want to see if I can improve my sprint speed a bit, cos it's awful. It took just under an hour tonight which is way better than I've done it to date. It usually takes an hour and ten. I got passed on the way back which gave me someone to chase and kept me working. I caught him. Maybe he wasn't trying.

Loved this cycle, short and sharp.

Sat am.
    8k run. I was sleepy and sluggish, and all this could be was a recovery/rejuvenation run. It worked. I felt better at the end than the beginning. Took 45mins, but sometimes you gotta listen to the body and the body said LEAVE ME ALONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

sometimes you gotta listen to the body

Amen, sista!! For just about all my non-session easy runs I don't bother with the Garmin or fret about the pace. It's all about what the body wants and needs. I've FINALLY learned to focus the quality where the quality needs to be focused.....and I find I'm enjoying my running more by doing this. :)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Amen, sista!! For just about all my non-session easy runs I don't bother with the Garmin or fret about the pace. It's all about what the body wants and needs. I've FINALLY learned to focus the quality where the quality needs to be focused.....and I find I'm enjoying my running more by doing this. :)
    Yeah, it takes a while, I wont say I've finally learned, but I'm finally starting to learn. I did the hard stuff Thurs, so today was just to keep ticking over. And it kinda peps you up, this easy stuff.

Sunday am
    Shorter cycle this week, I was stuck for time. Inexplicably slow today, who knows why. Anyhow I got 65k done in about 2.40 (didn't stop the timer during the few stops I made)

Monday pm
    Swim. Lots of drills to try and remind me how to swim. 2k
    Otherwise today was a rest day. I'm pooped.

Tuesday am
    Run. Bit of a plod, really. Felt better than I have in a few days, tho. 10.9k

^^^ Did I really say I felt better? Ha.

I've had a few days of feeling like boiled sh*te. And I had no car so was biking to work - of course it rained. :)

But the eureka moment came yesterday morning when I realised the last time I felt like this an iron supplement fixed it. So I'm back on the iron tablets and some Q10 wotsit.

Maybe its psychosomatic, but I feel better today. Still tired but not quite ko'd. I biked to work and took a longer spin after and it was fine.

And my car is back. And its fixed! Yay! But I do like cycling to work.... once its sunny!

Cycled yesterday: Good.
    Tried to run today: Very, very bad.
    Lets see what tomorrow brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

^^^ Did I really say I felt better? Ha.

I've had a few days of feeling like boiled sh*te. And I had no car so was biking to work - of course it rained. :)

But the eureka moment came yesterday morning when I realised the last time I felt like this an iron supplement fixed it. So I'm back on the iron tablets and some Q10 wotsit.

Maybe its psychosomatic, but I feel better today. Still tired but not quite ko'd. I biked to work and took a longer spin after and it was fine.

And my car is back. And its fixed! Yay! But I do like cycling to work.... once its sunny!

Mccabes phamamcy will check iron levels for 10euro, takes about 5mins.

hypersonic wrote: »
    Mccabes phamamcy will check iron levels for 10euro, takes about 5mins.

Not a clue where that is but thank you.

Cycled this morning. Kept effort low and it was fine. 80k in 3 hours. Ran for 15 mins off the bike. So much better than yesterday when I couldn't run at all.

Will train with no high zones till race day and see if everything holds together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are you doing dublin city tri?

Since your Pikeman Triathlon race cap brought me good luck, I am bequeathing you my purple Virginia Triathlon Series race cap that I wore on top of your baby blue Pikeman cap yesterday. I will post it to you this week along with a few goodies. :)

Oh, and when is your next race??

Are you doing dublin city tri?

No, heading over to do vitruvian.

• Advertisement

No, heading over to do vitruvian.

I'd already stalked you in the entrants list before reading this response. Have a blast at that, any time I saw spaces open up on twitter for this it tugged on the heartstrings. :D

I'd already stalked you in the entrants list before reading this response. Have a blast at that, any time I saw spaces open up on twitter for this it tugged on the heartstrings. :D
    I've been looking forward to it and hoping I'll remember the course. Yeah its a real pity you didn't get to do it. But there are others to do. :)

After a day at the funfair being made sick on all the rides, I swam this evening in the pool. 2050 total including four 400s which felt slow but I didn't time them.

I also went out for a short spin on my tt bike which hardly ever happens. . I fell off, of course, which is why it hardly ever comes out. I'm such a cr@p cyclist. It's a constant struggle. But no harm to the machine or the muppet riding it. So I'll keep trying.

You fell off?? :eek: How did you fall off?? Did you just....fall off? Or did something happen to cause you to fall off?

You fell off?? :eek: How did you fall off?? Did you just....fall off? Or did something happen to cause you to fall off?

My idiot gene caused me to fall off.

My idiot gene caused me to fall off.

and the abuse I get on here for my bike handling skills...it's only the ladies who are honest about all their crashes the boys never tell us

and the abuse I get on here for my bike handling skills...it's only the ladies who are honest about all their crashes the boys never tell us
    Oh in the boards.ie league of bad cyclists, I am top of the leaderboard, without a doubt. I have never met anyone worse than me.

^^^ Hence the "fall seven times, stand up eight." ;)

^^^ Hence the "fall seven times, stand up eight." ;)
    Oh yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Oh I don't know oryx, I think I could give u a run for ur money on the poor bike handling skills!

Advertisement