Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Oh I don't know oryx, I think I could give u a run for ur money on the poor bike handling skills!
    I seriously doubt that, crash or no crash!

Training wise, I ran this morning. 14.9k. Meant to go longer, but literally ran out of time (a bad habit of mine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »

Training wise, I ran this morning. 14.9k. Meant to go longer, but literally ran out of time (a bad habit of mine).

Top tip- you can squeeze longer distance into the same time by simply running faster. Hard to believe, but its true!:)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Top tip- you can squeeze longer distance into the same time by simply running faster. Hard to believe, but its true!:)
    When do you plan to utilise this new trick in races, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

B
    urn

:D

You'll need to fire your coach Oryx. Covering more distance in a set time isn't racing...

• Advertisement

You'll need to fire your coach Oryx. Covering more distance in a set time isn't racing...
    My coach trains me for Ironman.

What do you train for again?

My coach trains me for Ironman.

What do you train for again?

Mostly so I can walk around in a body-hugging trisuit...

Mostly so I can walk around in a body-hugging trisuit...
    Cheaper admission than fetish clubs. :D

Sea swim tonight. It was choppy and a little cool. Just did 1060, as its time to wind down a bit. Was good tho, with another girl there of similar pace to me which kept me working.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

Not a clue where that is but thank you.

Cycled this morning. Kept effort low and it was fine. 80k in 3 hours. Ran for 15 mins off the bike. So much better than yesterday when I couldn't run at all.

Will train with no high zones till race day and see if everything holds together.

Sherwood's Pharmacy in Wexford Town, between north and south main street if that makes any sense :rolleyes: Also don't ask me why it's not called Mccabes (but it is a Mccabes pharmacy).

• Advertisement

Last night was cycling, and the weather played ball, it was fine and not too windy. Did 29.1k in 61 minutes which is okay (but only okay). Ran off the bike for 15 minutes @ 5.17 pace. Again, okay. Just.

Not doing double days at the moment, and I'm quite enjoying not training at the crack of dawn. Its amazingly easy to revert to a lazy person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Its amazingly easy to revert to a lazy person.

Tell me about it :rolleyes:

Pool swim this evening. Felt a little better in the water tonight I suppose because I've done more swimming lately. Only did 1700 of drills - I hadn't eaten and hunger beat me!

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Tell me about it :rolleyes:
    You sound like youre getting back to it though, fair play to ya.

Its been pre race week and its been woeful. :)

I ran 8k Saturday
    I biked 53k Sunday
    I swam 2k Monday
    I ran 6k Tuesday
    And today I did an easy 40 min turbo.

All of the above is something and nothing. I still have a niggly knee, and I feel tired. Both of which I am putting down to having to do a horrible nasty should-be-banned taper. I hate taper. And taper hates me. I hope that on race day all will come right. It usually does. I'll just try to avoid massacring any wildlife this time. Should help.

I ran 6.7k today. It was better than other runs I've done lately. Though my fegging ahole bugger of a knee is Just A Pain In The Wotsit. Gah.

I ran 6.7k today. It was better than other runs I've done lately. Though my fegging ahole bugger of a knee is Just A Pain In The Wotsit. Gah.

Knee pain isn't something you can just run away. If you're running through knee pain, 99% of the time you're doing more damage. Why not limit runs to races, and just swim/bike in training (assuming the bike isn't hurting the knee too).

I spent a year on the sidelines with knee pain that I thought would just go away. In the end, barefoot running (laps of a field) and minimal shoes helped.

(I love the fact that we can discuss common injuries on this forum without overbearing mods;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Knee pain isn't something you can just run away. If you're running through knee pain, 99% of the time you're doing more damage. Why not limit runs to races, and just swim/bike in training (assuming the bike isn't hurting the knee too).

I spent a year on the sidelines with knee pain that I thought would just go away. In the end, barefoot running (laps of a field) and minimal shoes helped.

(I love the fact that we can discuss common injuries on this forum without overbearing mods;))

Careful now.

Its not knee pain per se, its one of the outer quad muscles has repetitive strain, and it was caused by the bike, not running. It doesn't (usually) hurt when I run. But on the bike, I tend to compensate my pedalling action to avoid the pain, and that has put strain on the musculature at the back of the knee, THATS whats sore today, every time I put stress on it. Bloody thing.

And I am seeing a physio every two weeks to fix this, so the mods can move along, nothing to see here.....

Righty-ho. Caused by your new bike? Did you get a bike fit at all? I was on to Revolve in Gorey earlier to get a fit myself (back probs off bike), they have a new computerized fit system coming in mid-Sept.

• Advertisement

Righty-ho. Caused by your new bike? Did you get a bike fit at all? I was on to Revolve in Gorey earlier to get a fit myself (back probs off bike), they have a new computerized fit system coming in mid-Sept.
    No, twas the other bike and the hills of Exmoor that did it. New bike was pretty much a custom build, so it fits!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck at the weekend Oryx. I'll be stalking you so I expect a great showing. If you plan on doing this one again let me know and I'll go for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Is the race THIS weekend??? :eek: Well then....go be that girl we all know and love...give them hell and kick some @ss....and don't even bother taking names cuz that will just slow you down and no one really gives a damn what their names are any way. ;) OH, and one last thing - I. Hope. You. Win. :D

I. Did. Not. Win.

But I am a vitruvian. (Again) :)

I will say more when I stop hurting everywhere.

Well. I'll keep this brief. I like vitruvian but it is (like most HIMs) a bleeding nightmare to get to. Racked the night before but had to set up this morning and in all the fuss I forgot suncream. I am now pink and glowing. Not in a good way, sigh. Nice weather though.

The swim was warm. Woo hoo. Two laps with a run between. Felt awful for the first but settled in for the second. 42.xx

Bike. It was very windy which made this hard going. Crosswinds made the bike a bit twitchy, but no mishaps. 3.04 which I'm not happy with but I did what I could. Its also hillier than I remembered :)

Run. Legs were tired on the bike and I didn't feel fast at all starting the run. But the splits were looking ok so I ran by feel and hoped I could hang in there. I did but only just. The last 5k were murder, legs were wrecked. 1.44 which is the best HIM run I've done. The new bike is comfy, I think it helps my run.

Total was 5.35, which is 25 mins faster than two years ago. So theres progression anyway. I was 10th in ag... some strong women out today!

All in all I'm happy, the time is what I had hoped for. But I want to improve that bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

1.44 off the bike, I'm impressed. Well done.

Yeah there are some very good numbers in there Oryx, kudos on a great race. I'll be honest and say I wouldn't have thought you capable of that overall time given the training you posted, (although maybe it's just because you seem to moan so much). Get a tattoo on your lower leg, a self portrait squaring the circle in the style of daVinci.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Super result. Great improvement over the two years. Must feel good to see the progression.

Yeah there are some very good numbers in there Oryx, kudos on a great race. I'll be honest and say I wouldn't have thought you capable of that overall time given the training you posted, (although maybe it's just because you seem to moan so much). Get a tattoo on your lower leg, a self portrait squaring the circle in the style of daVinci.
    Ive only been moaning lately cos I've felt sh*t. The time was possible as a very long shot so a nice surprise to get it.

You'll have to explain the davinci thing!

• Advertisement

You'll have to explain the davinci thing!

Vitruvian? Must be wrong, I figured it was named after Vitruvian Man.

Advertisement