Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Doh. Tired. Blonde. Etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Awesome run time!!! Wow. Even though you didn't win, you still did super fab!! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Awesome run time!!! Wow. Even though you didn't win, you still did super fab!! :)

We can't all be Dory. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Ahh, great stuff Oryx - I've not checked your log in a while, but that is some improvement on a tough course.

Must pay more attention to what you are up to....:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Savage stuff Oryx...based on my knowlegde of the course from my extensive studies last year thats a seriously impressive time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Wow....... Just wow!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats Oryx. Cracking run split. Plenty of winter miles will sort that bike time for you. Well done again :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Nicely done she-ra, yes thats my new name for you.

Nicely done she-ra, yes thats my new name for you.

You mean I'm not barbie anymore?

Oryx wrote: »

Oh, you're still Barbie!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Barbie is too soft, she-ra however kicks a$$

She-ra's outfit sucks. :(

Well, its day 3 of no training, and that's hard! But I'm taking this rest malarkey seriously. I keep reminding myself of how I felt coming up to this race (tired) so I don't get caught in a post race adrenalin bounce.

With Vitruvian done, that's the end of this years tri season for me. And I got to finish on a high, which is wonderful. This year was about hitting two targets, and I got both: a sub 7 IMUK 70.3 (6:43) and a 5:40 Vitruvian (5:35). (Which shows what a bugger of a course IMUK 70.3 is....) This year was a step back from last year, to build skills and speed, and get ready for another IM in 2014. I think I got what I needed from it, and those bits I don't feel are good enough yet, well I know what I need to do.

The biggest lesson learned this year was how to approach training and racing. Put simply: work harder. And for me this meant a mental more than physical change. In the race at the weekend, I've never suffered more in a run. I never wanted to stop and lie down so badly. The additional speed didn't come from the legs, it came from my brain refusing to listen to those demons. I've been told to htfu since year one, but its only really sinking in now.

I still have a 3.8 swim this weekend and a marathon in October, but in all honesty these are being done for fun, nothing more. All the serious work is over.

So, for the winter season, this is whats ahead:

My bike skills still need a ton of work: practice, practice, practice.
    My bike speed still needs a ton of work: high cad, high effort intervals.
    My swim will get some more tlc in the form of technique coaching and adjustment.
    Strength work to get the auld muscles stronger for the next season.

Well I got out this morning for a softly, softly, gently does it run. Four days of not doing anything would be just ridiculous, really. :)

There are a few aches and pains in the legs but otherwise I felt good and it was a nice morning. 6.75k in oooh about 35 mins. Its nice to have no pressure!

Things are slowing down here, this log was still on the first page...

My week off came to and end today, (I had planned to turbo last night but watched a lightning storm for an hour with the kids instead and cos there was no thunder I told them it was war of the worlds and the aliens were coming :))

Ran this morning. Right from the start I knew something was missing: weariness. :) After 5 days of little to no training, I wasn't tired. I have got so used to feeling wrecked that I had forgotten what it felt like to run fresh. And while I wasn't totally bounding down the road, it felt a hell of a lot better than other training recently. But I still kept it at a nice pace, speed work begins next week. 13.75k in around 70-75 mins. My IT band was complaining by the end, but that's nothing a bit of rolling won't cure.

Have a blast tomorrow. Think I chose the wrong race, 1.5 just wasn't long enough.

Freezing and wet and miserable this morning, hope you guys get better for you tomorrow.

Have a blast tomorrow. Think I chose the wrong race, 1.5 just wasn't long enough.

Freezing and wet and miserable this morning, hope you guys get better for you tomorrow.
    What was the water temp like?

What was the water temp like?

It was perfect. Fairly warm. Double swim cap not even necessary.

We were frozen standing around before hand but warmed up quickly in the water.

I don't know how the rest of you tough triathletes keep warm in cold lakes but I froze today in glendalough. Maybe I need to swim faster. I was cold getting in and didn't feel my hands or feet for the whole race. Wanted to quit after the first lap but I couldn't let my kids down, waiting to see mammy finish. Thankfully I was no worse on the second lap and got in at 1h 28 by my watch. I followed no feet, they were long gone. What a lonely swim! The wonderful boardsie boys Kurt and mcos hung around till I finished but all I could say was uggudda uggudda uggudda as my jaw wouldn't move and I was rattling with cold. But cheers for telling me well done regardless of my slow time. I appreciate that.

No an ideal weekend for it. Shame cos weather seemed to be glorious last year. Would be great if all three races were on the same day next year. Race ye in the 3.9 next year ;)

And that's not slow...

Well done, you!! That's quite a swim you did. :) Have you warmed up yet??

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well done, you!! That's quite a swim you did. :) Have you warmed up yet??

Warm as toast. I do need to work on acclimatisation though :)

With a nod towards the marathon, I went for a run today. I planned to do an out and back of 90 mins total. I tired quicker than expected even though it was slow, but the run went to plan. Just over 10 miles covered. (As I'm now running I am back to measuring in miles :) )

Doesn't sound like a lot but I didn't have a longer run in me today, theres a bit of race residue there still. If all goes to plan I'll get up to 20 within the five training weeks I have. And sure that'll have to do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

... If all goes to plan I'll get up to 20 within the five training weeks I have. And sure that'll have to do. :)

+1 :D Good to meet you again yesterday. Fair play for sticking with it and getting through the second lap!

+1 :D Good to meet you again yesterday. Fair play for sticking with it and getting through the second lap!

Twas great to meet you again, and to meet your lovely missus. Awesome swimming on your part, you sandbagger, you.

For me its a good benchmark for next year. Now I know what I can do, and can improve on.

Kettlebells tonight, which felt awkward cos I haven't done them for a while, but it was so nice to be back.

Tuesday
    Rest day. This is what normal life is like.

Wednesday
    Short tempo run.

Thursday
    First time on the bike since vitruvian. 29.1k in 60 mins. Must. Get. Faster. Though I did enjoy this. It was nice to be cycling again.

Friday am
    My first early swim in aaaaages. It felt like an alien environment being back in the pool. Everything was unfamiliar and clumsy. I got through a few drills and swam bilateral for about 75% of the session. It does not come naturally at all, but if I force it, it will come. I dont want to remain stuck on r/h x2 breaths, its keeping me slow. 1550m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Friday am
    My first early swim in aaaaages. It felt like an alien environment being back in the pool. Everything was unfamiliar and clumsy. I got through a few drills and swam bilateral for about 75% of the session. It does not come naturally at all, but if I force it, it will come. I dont want to remain stuck on r/h x2 breaths, its keeping me slow. 1550m

Do stick with it. I've been swimming bilaterally all the time for 6 weeks now and while its not perfect, I reckon it looks much smoother and a lot more natural than it did in the first week or two. You'll probably also realise that one arm was doing 65% of the work. Stupid weak left arm. More work to do!

Did an interval run this morning. It felt extremely tough. Still struggling with what feels like a small hamstring strain in my gammy leg. But I have a long run planned for the morning in any case. I hope it works out.

This run renewed my faith in the kindness of strangers. It was blowing a gale and raining as I set off, so I put my money and phone in a plastic bag, headphones in, off I went. Small niggle in leg but no big deal. Had to get the phone out at one stage to change stations, and the next time was at 10k when I went to buy some water at a service station and... there was my money, gone. Fcuk. No food. No water. And not even halfway. Went into the shop anyway and asked nicely for a cup of water. Not only did I get that, the lady wanted me to take a bottle off the shelf to bring with me. What a sweetheart. I declined but did call in as I passed again a few miles later for another drink, again I was offered a bottle to take. So kind.

Finished the run nicely hydrated :) but soaked to the skin and half blown away. And down twenty quid. Feck it, says I as I got in the car. I'll go look for it. Drove to where I knew I'd had my phone out and bugger me if I didn't find the two soaked tenners in the grass verge.

Things like that really make me grin. A good and uplifting morning all in all. 16.5 miles.

You doing DCM?

• Advertisement

You doing DCM?

No other reason to run 16 miles in the rain. :)

Advertisement