Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Let me see.

Monday I did kettlebells.

Tuesday I did a tempo run.

Yesterday I did some puny person strength work when I got up and swam in the evening.

Today I ran what was supposed to be tempo, but it was raining so hard I kinda lost focus, what with not being able to keep my eyes open to see where I was going. But I do like making my neighbours think they live near a crazy lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Hi Oryx -re Bolton and training are you going to follow a specific plan? I am going to B2R for swim analysis and getting lactic TH tests done in Oct. Don't want to be training in wrong zones!!!

I'm not going to bother with any lactate tests as I am too lazy to stick rigidly to zones anyway. Fly by the seat of my ar5e is my usual plan.

Only slightly kidding. :)

I'm looking at both Fink and Friel at the moment, not sure which, but both are generic plans, either will give me a framework, but I will customise whichever I do. Last time I hadn't really got a clue what I was doing, or capable of training for, this time I have specific targets to train towards which will make a difference. I hope.

What are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

I am the same as you. Looking at plans but life, kids and working full time dictates the need for FLEXIBILITY!!!!
    As its my first I don't have the insight that you have. You learn alot about yourself and how to structure your training from sheer experience.
    I love running so the hours I spend running need to be converted to bike hours.
    My plan is simple - build towards one long run and bike per week. Drag myself into the pool 2/3 times per week. Then one specific bike and run and S&C class and yoga per week. I also hope to do a short specific brick session every second week or so. To be honest its alot more different than what I am currently doing (just for longer!!).
    Fitness tests may tell a different story so I will see. I train using HR anyway so will stick with that. Main decision is bike - a TT or not for Bolton?:confused:
    Thanks for reply.

Ill be on a roadie for Bolton, because my tt skills suck so badly I wont be strong enough on it. If you can ride it well its the way to go, but decide early as you will train on the bike youll use.

• Advertisement

Well, yesterday I swam in the morning, all technical stuff trying to break the stroke down, and of course bilateral breathing. Which is getting better. It no longer feels like I'm trying to turn myself upside down.

Yesterday evening I finally got around to fitting the garmin sensor to my tt turbo bike so I did a little spin on that. Of course after all the work of fitting it (which required a little tweaking and an added lego brick) my garmin needed charging. Oh well. It works, anyway.

This morning, against my better judgement, I got up at a ridiculous hour to join the xc crew for a mud run. It was still dark as I set out, as it was close to home, I jogged to the meet point. I haven't run on uneven, muddy terrain in ages, and it felt woeful at first. But by the end I was loving running through the deep pools and mud. It wasn't hilly, but very heavy underfoot. A nice easy jog home made it 12.5k total.

But I sat down for a while when I got home, and when I went to get up my leg had seized up solid. Oops. I think Ill be paying for my physios summer holidays at this rate.....

Did a local 10k today, it was in aid of my kids school. I did it last year on a different route 47:07). I took off hard today, my attitude being fk it, lets run hard and see what happens. First km 4:02, second 4:11... I just knew I would pay later. :) Went through 5k in 21 mins. And then the hills came. And it all got quite hard. Pushed on as much as I could but my pace really slowed. Finished in 44.52, which is a pb cos I've only run this distance twice in the last two years.

It was nice to do a short sharp race so close to home, no fuss no bother, and a nice cuppa afterwards.

3 hours
    One bag of jelly babies
    Lots of drizzly rain
    Two phone calls
    One irate lorry driver
    Done.

Also got 30 quid for winning the aul wans AG yesterday. Joys of being old, huh?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »
    Also got 30 quid for winning the aul wans AG yesterday. Joys of being old, huh?

Cool, is this what I've to look forward to when I too hit my 30's? :D

I didn't deserve that :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If you're lucky. :cool:

I've got you're back on this one, Barbie. Every time I'm compensated for crushing the residents at the local old folks home in a race, I just say thank you and smile all the way to the bank. The sting of age miraculously disappears with the salve of money, among other things. ;)

(Congrats!! Very proud of you! :))

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It was a veiled compliment that sure you can't be out of your 30's ;)

It was a veiled compliment that sure you can't be out of your 30's ;)

In my mind I never will be. :)

Kettlebells this evening. Horrible stuff. But necessary. I can see a difference in core strength, and I'm getting back the tone I lost (it goes quickly!)

Tough day though, and I only realised that I ran more in the last three days (52.5k) than I usually do in a fortnight.

I'm doing a half mara next Sunday, just for the craic. And I planned to join my xc crowd for a local multi terrain race the following Sunday, either 10k or half marathon. Its dead flat but would have sand dunes and beach for a good portion. I logged in to enter today, still trying to decide which distance to do, and lo and behold they are listing a marathon distance too. I need someone to tell me I would be mad to consider it, because I am. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Did a local 10k today, it was in aid of my kids school.
    Also got 30 quid for winning the aul wans AG yesterday.

Can't believe you didn't hand back the prize... that €30 could have bought turf to keep your kids warm in winter, instead they'll shiver trying to learn their aimsir chaite, while you browse Wiggle in search of some new €30 gadget that'll make you slightly faster.

You're so selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm doing a half mara next Sunday, just for the craic. And I planned to join my xc crowd for a local multi terrain race the following Sunday, either 10k or half marathon. Its dead flat but would have sand dunes and beach for a good portion. I logged in to enter today, still trying to decide which distance to do, and lo and behold they are listing a marathon distance too. I need someone to tell me I would be mad to consider it, because I am. :)

Ferns?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Can't believe you didn't hand back the prize... that €30 could have bought turf to keep your kids warm in winter, instead they'll shiver trying to learn their aimsir chaite, while you browse Wiggle in search of some new €30 gadget that'll make you slightly faster.

You're so selfish.
    Meh.

I'm already in for ferns, and the other is the surf and turf in curracloe, but the madness has passed - I'll do the 10k and be happy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Meh.

I'm already in for ferns, KG, and the other is the surf and turf in curracloe, but the madness has passed - I'll do the 10k and be happy. :)

Be careful as that madness tends to revisit every now and then

Be careful as that madness tends to revisit every now and then

But I have you guys here to see me straight. ;)

Swam tonight. Uncoached, so I messed about with drills. 1400m. I would have done more but the staff were loitering around giving the distinct impression I was stopping them closing early. So I cleared off.

Oh and Hi Brendy (mary) *waves*

• Advertisement

Took a rest day yesterday. Though it would be more accurately described as a Couldn't Be Ars ed day.

Ran this evening for want of something better to do, 8.4k easy with no plan in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Tank girl, very 90's. Cool.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Tank girl, very 90's. Cool.
    Just love Jamie Hewlett.

But yeah... feeling all Tank Girl at the moment. :)

Swimmity this morning. Not got a great feel for the water at the moment, I'm just not doing enough swimming. 1800 of 100m drills alt with 100m swim. The bi breathing is coming on, though I still have to think to do it.

Club try-a-tri this morning. I was there to help out more than to train, and it was a heap of fun. A very short swim (280m) followed by a 20k bike, the first 10k of which was slow, and the second 10k was a sprint as I left the pack and went back to get my car and rescue a broken down bike. Then a nice 4k trot to finish off the day.

And then lunch. Jeez, I could do this every week.

Is your half marathon next Sunday? A week from tomorrow? Any strategy for it??

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Is your half marathon next Sunday? A week from tomorrow? Any strategy for it??
    Its tomorrow. Its just a training run, I dont care what time I do. I plan to do an extra 10k at the end of it, if that tells you how important it is. :P I'm only doing it for the gorgeous dayglo teeshirt!

Its tomorrow. Its just a training run, I dont care what time I do. I plan to do an extra 10k at the end of it, if that tells you how important it is. :P I'm only doing it for the gorgeous dayglo teeshirt!

Yep, sometimes it's all about the t-shirt! Have fun with it! :)

I enjoyed the half mara today, and I don't think thats just hindsight talking. It was simple, no frills... straightforward to register, and a nicely challenging course. Though referring to it as flat was very false advertising. 'Flat, my ar se' as one chap put it around mile 4.

Set off running by feel, right at the edge of my 'this is ok' scale. Not quite as edgy as my 10k pace last week but as hard as I felt able to sustain. Kept an eye on the clock to make sure I was holding pace but I was not running to targets.

The course was undulating which meant you could recover after every hill. It suited me. Mile 6-7 was my promised 'Dory mile' where I tried to channel my inner happy person and just enjoy being there. Other than that I just worried about the strong female runner I kept doing a back and forth with. I think we kept each other pushing!

At mile 10 after much effort I finally caught up with a guy who told me (with pride) that he was 63. What a dude. We ran together for a bit and tbh it took all I had to pull away from him. I hope I run like that at his age. Awesome.

The uphill slog towards the end was hard but I watched pace here and didn't let it drop. Caught a local female club runner in the last 400 that I had been using as a carrot to keep me trying.

Got to the finish in... wait for it... 1:40:02. What is it with these two seconds? They haunt me. I think I was 8th woman overall which is nice, and while not a pb, I'm happy with that time on that course. Didn't do extra mileage afterwards as my mum had turned up so we went for tea. :)

Oh and the tee is a lovely fit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice to meet you today after.
    I'm out to get the guy who declared this flat :D
    The hills weren't too bad. The wind was worse.
    Nice teeshirt apart from the local panel beaters phone number on teh back :o

Advertisement