Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Nice to meet you today after.
    I'm out to get the guy who declared this flat :D
    The hills weren't too bad. The wind was worse.
    Nice teeshirt apart from the local panel beaters phone number on teh back :o

I think thats funny as. :)

Great to meet you too and good running... I think you must have been on flatter hills than me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

funny story. A guy emerged from the pub as I made my way from the finish line. Despite the early hour he seemed well on! Saw my panel beater t-shirt and proceeded to ask me advice on a car, whether an opel kadett was a good car as he'd been offered one to buy :rolleyes: I tried to explain that it was a race t-shirt and I knew f**k all about cars. I should have sent him looking for the next nearest t-shirt to ask. Theres Oryx, she'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats on a fab run! And I appreciate the "Dory smile mile"....which makes me wonder what that smile mile split was? ;):)

That reminds me. Mile splits. Arrgh. I understand they need mile splits for AAI permit. Annoying if you are a km convert :rolleyes:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Congrats on a fab run! And I appreciate the "Dory smile mile"....which makes me wonder what that smile mile split was? ;):)

No idea. Me being a triathlete and all, my watch measures kms. :) My splits were between 4.20 and 5.05. Yours was a good mile though. Complete with crop sprayer to cool us all down. (Or maybe that was fertiliser, I'm not sure)

Slogger, thats brill. You shoulda tried to sell him some random car in the car park. :)

• Advertisement

I loved that Agricultural sprinkler. Took me by surprise but the drops of water falling from the sky momentarily were a godsend. Great timing by the organisers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oryx wrote: »
    Oh and the tee is a lovely fit :)

That is all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Great time Oryx, well done

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think thats funny as. :)

Great to meet you too and good running... I think you must have been on flatter hills than me ;)

Never trust a mountain runner who declares a course 'flat'

Well done Oryx. What are your plans for DCM weekend, are you staying up for the post race beers?

Never trust a mountain runner who declares a course 'flat'

Well done Oryx. What are your plans for DCM weekend, are you staying up for the post race beers?

I'm not staying over the night after, no. I hear the boards crew are rowdy after a few and I would be scared to. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm not staying over the night after, no. I hear the boards crew are rowdy after a few and I would be scared to. :)

Booooo...what about Dory. She'll miss out on your company.

Booooo...what about Dory. She'll miss out on your company.

I'll be meeting up alright, just not pulling an all-nighter. :)

10k recovery run today. My legs are tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Super run yesterday. Well done mrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Didn't do extra mileage afterwards as my mum had turned up so we went for tea. :)

Oh you're hardcore alright ;):p

Great to hear you're still going like the wind. Keep up the good work :)

Kettlebells tonight. I struggled more than usual. The last few days are catching up. It was a tough class anyway, but I always know I'm suffering if I have an irrational hatred of the (perfectly nice) instructor and the (totally fine) music bugs me.

One hour of swearing under my breath, and now I need a rest. :)

Swim tonight. It is such a disgusting evening weatherwise that it is hard to believe that a few short weeks ago we were swimming in the sea. (And the masters swimmers still are).

But I got in the chilly pool tonight and swam some happy clappy no pressure drills, using all my swim toys, just for fun. Paddles, pull, fins, fulcrums. But not all at the same time. 1400m which feels ridiculously short.

Rest day tomorrow. Its needed. More because weve run out of clean socks and I have to sort laundry after work instead of training!

This is not the first post I've read by you about running out of clean socks! ;)

This is not the first post I've read by you about running out of clean socks! ;)

I know. I'm slovenly.

I know. I'm slovenly.

I was thinking more in terms of you needing more socks!!

I was thinking more in terms of you needing more socks!!
    We have plenty of socks. The problem is making an overflowing basket of odd socks turn into four individual piles of paired socks.

I hate laundry.

• Advertisement

Last night, with rest time over, I went for a loose-limbed run (as in just run in comfort zone). It was pouring with rain, and I got a lot of looks that said 'you complete nutter, you.' But I like running in the rain, splashing in puddles brings out the kid in me. 7.8k.

This morning I was awake before the alarm, which is always a good sign. In the pool for half six, and in a change to my sets lately, I just swam, no drills, few stops, just found a rhythm and kept going. The only change to this was towards the end when I moved from x2 breathing to x3, which made me slower, and clumsier, but has to be done. I haven't swam like that for ages, and it was nice. 2150m.

No times on either of these because they were both moderate anyway.

Agree with you there. Running in the rain and splish sploshing through puddles can be nice. Had a similar run myself in recent nights and it puts a smile on the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I wish I could do this. The funny thing is, if it starts raining when I'm out I'll just keep plodding along and don't mind it at all.

But the very thought of walking out the door while it's raining just kills me.

pointer28 wrote: »
    I wish I could do this. The funny thing is, if it starts raining when I'm out I'll just keep plodding along and don't mind it at all.

But the very thought of walking out the door while it's raining just kills me.
    Its only a bother for the first ten seconds, literally. But wear a peaked cap or the raindrops in your eyes is really annoying. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Since the first day I started I was always told a brisk 5 minute walk before running an inch.

It's the 5 minute walk that's the hard part in the rain. Anyway, I'll just have to MTFU and do it, just been so spoilt this year I can't remember the last time I got wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

pointer28 wrote: »
    Since the first day I started I was always told a brisk 5 minute walk before running an inch.

an easy 5 minute jog is the same

Off to the beach with me today for the surf and turf 10k, my third race in as many weeks. They were also running a marathon and half mara, and while I was tempted by both, good sense prevailed.

Have to say this race was very well organised from start to finish. Lovely course out through my usual saturday morning route, which is very familiar, and back along the beach. Even though the sand was hard packed, it was tougher going than I expected, very sapping on the legs. My pace was nowhere near where it should have been. But this was just a fun run, and I set out to enjoy it anyway. (though I admit the first km gave me a stitch... probably took off too hard) I ran in a cotton tee (promotion for our coach who so deserves it) and good god that thing was warm. I was VERY glad I hadn't signed up for the half as I was coming back down along the beach, and baking in the unseasonable sunshine.

It was lovely having so many different distances on the same course, you could encourage the marathoners as you passed them. Tough people doing a marathon on mostly sand.

I finished in 44:27, and placed 2nd female, 12th overall. My first podium finish. :) And another girl from our running group came third, so a great result for the coach. Technically that's a pb for me, but the course was quite short.

Hot soup afterwards was fantastic, and I have to say the organisers were some of the best Ive seen, full of smiles and making sure every single competitor got recognition as they finished, no matter when they finished. If this is on again next year, I think it could be my marathon for the year.

First podium finish?? :D Super congrats!!!! You're on a roll! You very well may nail DCM!! :)

Today I had to get a long run in, my last one was two weeks ago. It all felt fine and dandy till I had the wind in my face at 23k along with hitting some nasty hills. It started to hurt quite badly then. My legs were (and still are) shot. I did 33k in 3h 16 but good god I lost a lot of pace towards the end. Just took one gel and 300mls of water along the way which will be one of the reasons it was hard. Adding to the misery were the twin skin socks I wore even though I never get on well with them. I should know better, my toes are blistered to hell - and I never usually blister. The stupid socks are now in the bin.

I don't think I've had a tougher long run but its done. One more to go next Sunday and my quick-fix marathon training plan is over. :)

• Advertisement

I was tired on Monday, so took a rest day.

I swam on Tuesday evening, our last 'free' club session before the coach is back next week, and my god you could tell he is back soon. It was like the last minute diet panic before a holiday. I've never seen such dedication and so little chat. :) 2050m

Wednesday morning I got up and swam again as I knew I would miss today's (Friday) swim. 2k.

Thursday I jogged/ran/made running type movements. Legs are heavy and I am stiff as a board. I am also generally too heavy, due to doing 6 hours per weeks av instead of 10 or so! Don't fancy carrying extra weight around the marathon, but how much of a fix can I do in two weeks? We will see....

My weakest discipline is cycling, and what is missing from my log for the last 6 weeks? Yup. Cycling. As soon as this marathon is over, I have to hit the bike hard. Right now I feel the constant drag of cyclist guilt, which is like catholic guilt but you can still have sex.

Advertisement