Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Short swim tonight while my kids had lessons. Somewhere around a km. Bilateral breathing is beginning to feel less awkward, though 'natural' is still a long way off. My catch seems better though and my son coached me on tumble turns. 'Closer to the wall than that, Mammy!' It was fun though I still can't really do it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Oryx wrote: »
    Right now I feel the constant drag of cyclist guilt, which is like catholic guilt but you can still have sex.

I don't think I am old enough to understand that :confused:

I don't think I am old enough to understand that :confused:

If you don't know what Catholic guilt is be very, very grateful.

:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Catholic guilt will never leave this country.

I always feel like such a rebel eating meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday especially since Mammy still scolds me for it. :D

• Advertisement

Catholic guilt will never leave this country.

I always feel like such a rebel eating meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday especially since Mammy still scolds me for it. :D

Ah now I understand, like eating a burger on a Friday, totally mad rebel stuff. It was just that foreign "sex" word I didn't understand as I was raised Catholic.

Today I did the run of the lost souls. No religion was involved, just me, getting continually lost. I misread the text reminder for todays xc run and when I arrived at the meet point (close to home so I ran there) not a sinner around. Oh, I thought, must be the other meet point today. Its 3km away. I ran there. Nope. Still on my tod. I was now late but to make something of the wasted morning I ran back to the original point just to do some mileage anyway. And there were all the cars, dammit. So I ran onto the trails and caught the tail enders finishing their first lap. Trouble was, I had missed the recce and hadn't a clue which of the maze of interlocking paths we were taking, and todays route seemed a complicated set of loops. No matter which way I went, I kept deadending or meeting other runners coming towards me cos I'd gone wrong again. After two laps I gave it up as a bad job and jogged home. Got back having done nearly 16k which is way more than planned.

I'm off to pray to St Jude now. Patron saint of hopeless cases.

Long run today. I didn't do 20 miles because of yesterday but did 18.75 and it was okay. I tried a new gel today as a test, powerbar hydrating, orange flavour. It was an interesting experiment, tasted like orange vomit. And it disagreed with me so badly I'm lucky I didn't taste it twice. Ho hum. So another run with feck all to eat. I should just stick to jelly babies.

So that's it done. Just 12 miles next week and then we see how Dublin goes. :)

Kettlebells tonight. They felt easy, for two reasons. I wasn't lifting very heavy, and compared to pre vitruvian, I'm really well rested. To not have residual fatigue in my legs when squatting felt weird. I'm probably more rested than I should be at this point pre marathon but in my head this is down time anyway.

Oh christ, the swim coach is back. Tonight was purgatory, and he was even being nice. Wait till the bugger settles back in.

To the fish among you, this won't sound hard:
    400 w/u
    8x 25 IM legs off 60
    8x 50 IM arms off *80
    100 easy
    16x 25 IM off 60
    200 sd

(*times varied 60/70/80 depending on stroke)

But to a flounder like me who barely learned
    front crawl and never learned the others it was tough. Butterfly? More like drowned moth. Ten women getting changed afterwards and no chatter showed how tough it all was - we were too knackered to speak. A rare occurrence. :)

• Advertisement

Spotted this online today, and it put a longing on me.

Can't do anything but FC myself...I'm sure there are benefits to learning other strokes (working different muscles etc) but I've no interest in trying them. Be interested to know how doing breastroke/butterfly/backstroke will help my frontcrawl. Any proper swimmers out there that can enlighten me?

I couldn't even remember what the fourth stroke was for a minute there :pac:

From doing it last year I think it makes you stronger, if nothing else. I noticed that sections of other strokes (like the strong pull in bf) transfer well to fc. Its like learning to tumble turn. You don't do it in races but it is still worthwhile.

Yah we've been doing a lot of drills lately, last night was pretty much three separate drills that replicate different sections of the stroke underwater...can see how it benefits your stroke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

From doing it last year I think it makes you stronger, if nothing else. I noticed that sections of other strokes (like the strong pull in bf) transfer well to fc. Its like learning to tumble turn. You don't do it in races but it is still worthwhile.

And as my mom would say, variety is the spice of life!

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: 7k run and half an hour spinning my legs out on the turbo.

Friday: Swim. Did a planned 400 tt at the start, 7:59. Plenty of room to improve, I know I can swim better than that. Did a set of lungbusters afterwards, then 6 x 200 timed. I was coming in on wildly varying times, from 4:17 on the first to 4:06 on the fourth, 4:22 on the last (but was caught behind someone for the last bit). Bit of double arm bc for a cooldown, and done. 2250 in 70 mins including chatter time.

Ran this morning. Felt tired and had a lot of niggles in the legs and I worried about them. So, taper is going well. 11k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Are you joining the 3:20 choo choo train?

Are you joining the 3:20 choo choo train?

Much as I would love to be a passenger on that train, with these legs I will have to watch it chug off into the distance and take the later one :)

Swim workshop today. Tiiiiired now. Very informative day, I now know why I'm slow and have a glorious technicolour video to prove it. And apparently it's all fixable, if I'm willing to spend the time on it. Which I am :)

Did my 20k run today. The weather was a bit unpleasant. Running on a main road with sideways rain and artic trucks passing by at speed is not ideal. Dublin will be a pleasant change even if its raining.

Oh and after running my teeth hurt, which my dentist days is common with runners. I'm not sure if he is pulling my leg!

• Advertisement

It hasn't rained on DCM day since 2005

Either it's overdue or... :P

I did kettlebells tonight. Took it easy though. I like the craic at the class which is why I didn't give it a miss. I need tea and bed now, as a guy in the class put it, I'm flaaed.

Today I have a sore throat and am sleepy tired. I have been through taper a few times before and this feels like the usual taper nonsense you get. Heres hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

You are losing your mind;). Wishing you a super run at the weekend. Enjoy.

I lost my mind ages ago :)

In usual taper fashion, for the last two days my brain has tried to convince my body it feels really awful. To the point I was taking paracetamol yesterday, and I never take paracetamol! Let this be a lesson to anyone not used to taper: it fcuks with your head, truly, madly and deeply.

I've taken two rest days (a half hour of spinning doesn't count) and today I said I would get out early and train before my brain woke up and told me not to. 6.8k run with 4 sections of strides just to wake my legs up a bit. My nuisance of a hamstring is STILL niggly, buggering thing... but I think its mostly my treacherous brain playing games again, and I presume I wont even notice it on Monday.

Quite looking forward to it now. Oh, and for anyone who thinks I am sneaky in my training or times*, according to mcmillan I am good for a 3:29 at best, and personally I think if I do 3:35 it will be pretty good going. But its all unpredictable, I havent done any mp sessions, so I really dont know. If I have a bad day I hope to at least come in close to last year, 3:40.

And thats it, nailed my colours, no sandbagging.

*Looking at you, Princess.

I swam this morning at 6:30. Another attempt to outwit my crazy taper mind. Today, (along with a reluctantly roped in MaryB30) I attempted to improve my kick with the use of fins. I have no idea if it helped but at least I could zip along and keep up with the sharks. Other than that, today's focus was on entry. Start at the beginning and all that. I want to get that right, then move on to catch. Roughly 1750m I reckon, about 3/4 with fins on.

Someday, I will be competent at this lark!

OH MY GOD!

I just got a call from Dory.

She's real!

And she's HERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

marathon in Dublin, everything including the kitchen sink ... but guess who forgot their runners ?

• Advertisement

interested wrote: »
    marathon in Dublin, everything including the kitchen sink ... but guess who forgot their runners ?
    What?

Really?

:D

Oh dear, but thats hysterical. :D

Im sorry but.... :D:D:D

Edit. (hope you have spares)

Advertisement