Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Swim today. Somehow I couldn't get into it, I felt a bit drained. That could be something to do with the fact that I stayed up watching a horror film and eating things I shouldn't last night. Anyway, I got 1550 done. Better than nothing.

No kettlebells tonight, but I did get to a 1-2-1 session to work on my flexibility and strength. It was simple but very hard. Made me feel very weak and stiff. All you guys doing yoga have the right idea. I should do that but can't afford to take another night out at a class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    No kettlebells tonight, but I did get to a 1-2-1 session to work on my flexibility and strength. It was simple but very hard. Made me feel very weak and stiff. All you guys doing yoga have the right idea. I should do that but can't afford to take another night out at a class.

I used to take a yoga class at a local gym until the teacher quit, so now I do it at home with a video. Certainly there is great value in attending a class, but I do like the flexibility and convenience a video affords me. Maybe if you drop enough hints, Santa might slip one into your stocking. ;)

Got out for a quick run this morning - I was up too late to do a proper run. It was (literally) freezing. Clear skies, and a layer of frost on everything. I wore shorts. :) But I had two layers on my torso, and wasn't cold. Did 5.2k at a decent pace, though I have no proper speed in me at the moment. The legs felt good, probably because of all the stretching I did yesterday.

Yeah, so the swim coach is back. :(

We did a good session though. Following what was on the board without much interference. I got in with the sharks again to make me work harder. Broke the rules a few times by using a snorkel on the kicking and fins on some sprints.And i did fingertip pause instead of catch up drill. Coach didn't object. I cant recall every detail of the set but it was long and complicated. The best bit for me was a 750 fc which I did slow and smooth not worrying about pace. Except it wasn't actually slow at all. And I managed it 4x breathing - I usually swim 2x. It probably should have been 3x but the 4 was nice a relaxed rhythm. Only dropped 150m out of the full set, so 2450 altogether. Happy.

• Advertisement

Let's hope your swim coach doesn't read these logs. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Let's hope your swim coach doesn't read these logs. ;)

Do swim coaches have feelings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Do swim coaches have feelings?

No..... :p

Turbo tonight. Nice crew in including our Mary of the fantastic swim time :) who is solid on the bike when not getting tangled in plastic bags. I enjoyed it but a lot of clock watching for me, and my bloody gears arent working and I don't know how to fix them. :( Worst bit was 6 x spinups which killed me. I know my weak spot anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

Plastic Bag. I forgot about that. Impressive swimming by you today though, snorkel and all.

• Advertisement

Don't mock the snorkel. :)

As mentioned by Mary, it was early swim today. I was looking forward to this, even though its still tough, Im enjoying swimming these days. Probably because for the first time in ages I feel like I have a way to make progress.

Apart from the usual drill/100/drill/100 that I've been doing lately, I threw in a few things to give me an idea of how I am doing. After 1k of drills and 100s, I did a straight 400 timed. This was done slow, bilateral, with focus one at at time on the various points I'm trying to improve (good entry, catch, foot position for kick, kick from hip). I did this in 8:23, which is 24 seconds off my best effort. This is interesting because the swim was so much slower and methodical, it felt like a 10 min swim. The next test was timed 100s bilateral, again working on different points in the stroke, to see how they affected time. I was not trying to swim a pb, just keep the effort similar for each. The first two, working on entry and kick came in on 2:05 and 2:04. The next two, both working on the catch phase, came in on 2:01 for the same percieved effort. Very interesting.

All of these changes still feel very clunky and unnatural, particularly the breathing. I hope once it starts to become automatic, my times will come back up again, while holding on to this new smooth technique. In the absence of an effective swim coach on deck, that's the plan, anyway.

Xc running today. Not much xc about it though, we did 400s on a flat trail. Ten altogether. My times were 1:24, 1:24, 1:25, 1:27, 1:28, 1:29, 1:28, 1:30, 1:31, 1:25.(I think) Did them off 2:45 for the first three, 2:50 after that. Slowed a bit so I went a bit hard on the first few. Enjoyable as any pain was short lived, and I had a chap doing similar times to keep me working.

78k bike ride today. Most of it was leisurely, with a few fast bursts. I used aero bars now and again and would score myself PD for potentially dangerous on them. Had a minor skirmish among the group where three of us collided (not my fault -amazing) and I ended up in the ditch but didn't fall off cos one of the others held onto my shirt to stop me going over! Couldn't believe we escaped, we should have been in a pile on the road. Thank you guardian angel!

Other than that it was lovely, such a pleasant day to be out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How do I get so much stick for getting hit by cars when everyone else on here crashes all on their own :P

Lucky break, sounds like you missed a bad smash.

I'm still wondering how we stayed upright. Total fluke. :)

I hope you didn't put the lovely speed machine in the ditch!!! Argon and Briars don't mix. ;}

It was the storck. And no harm done to anyone :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What Argon did you get? How did I miss that?

All the best people have Argon. :)

Theres a reason you've not heard about it. :(

Kettlebells tonight. Evil things. Particularly when you've missed a week. The last bit was 100 assorted swings non stop and that was easy compared to the rest. I am going to hurt tomorrow.

Club swim. One of those nights when everyone seems to be swimming rings round me while I am going backwards I'm so slow.

But our coach gave us all individual pointers and it was all quite beneficial. I had nothing to complain about. Wow. I realise though that I have stiff shoulders and lats that don't work cos I tried to use them tonight and it hurt.

300 wu, 750 (50 fc arms 50 fc legs), 750 (50 hard/easy) 150 (50 single arm 50 cu) sd.

• Advertisement

I have pretty severe problems with my diet. I have spent a lot of time, money and energy doing exclusion diets, taking supplements and stuff. And still I wake up every morning in pain.

Last night I went to the cinema with my son and we pigged out on my diet no-no's of salty popcorn and sweets. I had no pain this morning. It made me think maybe I'm just lacking in junk food.

Other than that, training wise, a didn't-quite-work-out turbo session yesterday, and a fast-paced 7k run today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Last night I went to the cinema with my son and we pigged out on my diet no-no's of salty popcorn and sweets. I had no pain this morning. It made me think maybe I'm just lacking in junk food.

"Catching Fire"? If so, any good?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    "Catching Fire"? If so, any good?
    I'm such a tween at heart, I loved it. Much better than the first one, you could see they had a bigger budget. For me it was the best book of the trilogy, and I just fell into the film and enjoyed every minute. Too much kissing in it for my son, but otherwise he enjoyed it too.

Turbo tonight with cervelo man and superwoman. We didn't chat as much as usual so it must have been good. My legs Did. Not. Like. the last two hard intervals. Probably because it was my first week doing two turbo sessions. Good work though. All grist to the mill.

I didn't notice the last two sets as I was watching you speeding(cadence) up on them. That might explain the leg issue:P:P. Didn't effect your swim this morning either.

And superwoman, you are too nice Oryx.;);)

Your swimming was so different today, B. Like I told ya - much slower and more effective. I hate giving you tips cos you make such good use of them. :) I give it till Christmas for you to pass me by on the 400.

So yeah. Swam today. It was slow, now that I've tried so hard to slow things down I can't speed up again! 1900 of various technical things.

Been doing a bit this week. Same old stuff. But we swam 4 x 100 tts in the club session tonight. 1:38, 1:41, 1:44, 1:44. The first one was a pb. (When I did this set months ago I did 1:39 but couldn't swim after it. This was better) I see this as progress. More 4x breathing, swimming felt stronger and calmer. My arms were suffering for the last two.

I will get sub 1:30. I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I will get sub 1:30. I will.

You will, every faith :D

You will, every faith :D

+1! Agreed! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

4*100 TT eh

You might try the following:

- easy warm up, say 200
    - then 4*25 ALL OUT ... on 90' ... but ALL OUT means all out
    - easy 400 - relax, recover, focus on what you want to do for 1*100

Settle, take a breath, focus on going as hard and as fast as possible for first 50 and then hold on for final 50, maintain stroke, control breathing on second 50 and keep a steady leg kick.

Believe.

You go under 1.30 once, you'll know what it takes and how it feels and will be well able to do it regularly.

The 1st 50 will enable you to go under 1.30 - too conservative or 'what if I die' will hold you back. Whats the worst that could happen ? ;)

Advertisement