Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The worst that could happen is I puke in the filters at the end.

So I do that^ then straight into 1 * 100? Okay. I'm game.

I'm trying to tell if there is a hint of disapproval in your first comment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Oryx wrote: »
    The worst that could happen is I puke in the filters at the end.

So I do that^ then straight into 1 * 100? Okay. I'm game.

I'm trying to tell if there is a hint of disapproval in your first comment. :)

- puking rarely happens in pools - people usually make it to the toilets
    - take a minute to focus, remember what it was like to go all out for 25 and do that for the first 50 of the 100 and just try to hold on.
    - Its not for me to comment regarding the methods of another coach.

In the same way, Im suggesting doing 4*25's all out to push down your 100 time, your coach may .. or may .. be using 4*100's all out ... to improve your 400 time (if you add up all those times for each 100 ... then add ... say 15 or 20 seconds) that should be your obj for 400 TT

Anyhow - again, its not for me to comment on the methods of another coach since they've their own plans for their swimmers ;)

You gotta swim faster to go faster sometimes ... and if you're trying to go faster than you've ever gone before then yes, it will hurt and yes, you might feel like puking - but if you want it bad enough and believe in it you'll do it ... once you've done it once it'll get easier. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I haven't done a 100tt in probably 18 months. I was very happy with my 1:53 back then :)

Race ye to a sub 1:30 Oryx...get that competitive spirit flowing.

I haven't done a 100tt in probably 18 months. I was very happy with my 1:53 back then :)

Race ye to a sub 1:30 Oryx...get that competitive spirit flowing.
    Don't think I haven't noticed that your other swim times are faster than mine already, sandbagger.

The help is much appreciated, interested. As is your diplomacy. :) I will let you know how I get on.

Also, our pool shark gave a piece of advice last night after the first 100, he said to repeat to yourself all the way through the 100 'I love sprints'. :) While I didn't get my times down on the later sprints, others did, by using his mindgame. :P

Don't think I haven't noticed that your other swim times are faster than mine already, sandbagger.

Not a chance in hell I could go under 1:30 right now!

• Advertisement

If you want a proper challenge (none of this 90 second nonsense) then Ill see you at Athy double....

56cd7694-3827-4bed-b28b-3c10d6ec8b33.jpg

If you want a proper challenge (none of this 90 second nonsense) then Ill see you at Athy double....

56cd7694-3827-4bed-b28b-3c10d6ec8b33.jpg

I think I'm busy pulling my toenails off that day :D

Toenails are overrated anyway. Ask any marathon runner. Maybe youll change your mind, it could be fun. ;)

Short easy run tonight. 5k 27 minutes.

Followed by trying to stretch which is not easy.

Can I do sub 1:30 100m?
    interested wrote: »
    You might try the following:

- easy warm up, say 200
    - then 4*25 ALL OUT ... on 90' ... but ALL OUT means all out
    - easy 400 - relax, recover, focus on what you want to do for 1*100

Settle, take a breath, focus on going as hard and as fast as possible for first 50 and then hold on for final 50, maintain stroke, control breathing on second 50 and keep a steady leg kick.

Believe.
    I tried this today. On the 25's all out bit, I started to have trouble with 'believe'. I was coming in on 23 seconds, and even with my basic maths I knew I would come up short for the 100.

I did the preparatory bits, and then found various ways to delay the inevitable, but eventually got stuck in. It seemed to go by quickly, but not quickly enough. I tried to keep my form strong, with a good catch and pull, but my cadence seems to slow when I do that, I can be fast but my stroke becomes inefficient. And I did not work hard enough, I reckon. Yes I finished unable to do anything but lean on the wall and gulp for air, but my time was a sorry 1:36. 6 seconds is a long time.

That is still a pb, though, and this was a quick and nasty session that won't take much to repeat. I want to do my 400 tt (+200 for css) next week, but the week after that I will try this again. I have the bit between my teeth now.

Other than that I had a grand group turbo session last night which was challenging but doable, we all enjoyed it I think.

• Advertisement

11k run this morning. Did this one progressive, starting easy, ending hard. I had music along the way which accidentally fit with this progression, and that combined with a fresh bright morning on the mountain, made this a very pleasant run. 57 mins, I have no further stats than that because I never bother to read the watch afterwards.

Did a half hour of core after, I hope I ache later, it would be a sign I did it right.

Long ride today. New route, which was nicely hilly. And because we had De Boys with us the pace was pretty nippy too at times. One short tea break midway, but the latter part was tough as we had a headwind so twas a slog. De Boys got a few mechanicals (men not minding their tools...) so us girls were on our own most of the way back. 86k in four hours, I think the time brought down by that woeful wind, cos otherwise we were going well.

86k and I felt grand at the end, which is new! And I must love my bike because it was washed before I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I started to have trouble with 'believe'.

Good job - next time do it 3 times, with 200 easy swimming active recovery between each set after you get your breath back, focusing on form, steady head, steady leg kick. Typically it takes time for people who train long to wake up to swimming fast ;)

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win,
    by fearing to attempt.” Big Will.

^I want to thank that twice but it won't let me.

Kettlebells. Ugh. These were hard. We even went over time so we could do extra exercises. Lovely. Coach must be taking new pep pills.

Turbo this morning. I had a very nice man come and fix my gears yesterday evening, and it was a joy to be able to actually change gear instead of turbo resistance. Did 55 mins and boy oh boy was it hot. I can't believe how mild it is at the moment,usually I freeze on the turbo this time of year. Didnt use stats just worked at a moderate level, am a bit tired from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

it's snowing its @ss off here at the moment!!!! :eek:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    it's snowing its @ss off here at the moment!!!! :eek:

Get into the pool today, get yourself prepared for any potential Irish OW tris :D

Get into the pool today, get yourself prepared for any potential Irish OW tris :D

I'm thinking more in terms of Florida sunshine at the moment. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'm thinking more in terms of Florida sunshine at the moment. ;)
    Sobbing-1.gif
    I want....!

• Advertisement

"Catamarans and sailing ships.....third largest coral reef in the world.....snorkel and kayak in the Key West backcountry and mangroves." And that's just part of what the hotel/marina has to offer! I'll do the recce this year, then maybe next year it can be a girls' big adventure! :D

Club swim tonight. Felt sh*t all day and nearly bailed on this... but I'm glad I didn't. The main set was a 750 tt. I didn't expect much but gave it a shot anyway. My form seemed to fall apart very early on and I had to keep reminding myself to focus on different parts of the stroke. I came in on 14:53 which is nearly a minute down on my last listed one (15:45). Not as good as I want yet but going in the right direction. I'll keep trying.

^^^ Whoop whoop!! :D

I've noticed that my 750 time is faster than my 400 time, which is peculiar. Mornings must not be my time to do tts.

I think most peeps are faster in the water in the evening. Perhaps that's why finals in swimming events are typically in the pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

I did my scheduled 400 tt yesterday also. Needless to say I wont be posting it. I think I might have been suffering the anchorman legs from our big cycle. Will try again Friday but was I disappointed . :confused:

Any way see you Thursday for some Stable Cycling:D:D:D

MaryB30 wrote: »
    I did my scheduled 400 tt yesterday also. Needless to say I wont be posting it. I think I might have been suffering the anchorman legs from our big cycle. Will try again Friday but was I disappointed . :confused:

Any way see you Thursday for some Stable Cycling:D:D:D
    You need to subscribe so you can change your name to Anchorman. I'm due to give it a shot this week, plus a 200 as well. Lets give it another go. :)

Slow, plodding 6k tonight. I've been a bit unwell the last few days and even though this was meant to be easy, it got more and more unpleasant as it went on. I was very glad to finish. 33 mins.

Thursday night is turbo night. Met with the usual guys for this one and tbh I thought it would be harder than it turned out to be. (4x (5min 75% 90 cad, 3min 85% 100 cad, 2 min easy spin, 1 min spin up 120 cad))

At least I had gears for this session, made it all much easier.

• Advertisement

Did my css test today. Got 7:52 for the 400, and 3:46 for the 200, giving me a css of 2:03. Also gave me a new time to enter on the swim tt thread. :)

Advertisement