Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Speaking of pudding, I'm shaped a bit like one now. :)

Swam this evening. The extra ballast didn't seem to help me any. More slow technical stuff, the catch is still eluding me, but if I concentrate I can do 22 strokes per length (was 29). If I can also go fast at that stroke count I'll have this swimming thing licked.

1500m total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I was thanking her about the pudding :p
    i was thankin her mam for makin the pudding..

We had a break in the stormy/cold weather again this morning and I got out for a cycle. I was reluctant though, if I hadnt arranged to go out with someone I would have stayed in bed. It was drizzling rain at first and a @*$#! motorist thought it would be great fun to race past us on a flooded section of road so we got soaked. Grrr. I hope he gets piles. :(

Facing into the wind was hard, and the route was challenging enough. Eventually the sun
    came out, and we had the wind behind us as we came back (the other girl who chose the route is clever that way and plans these things). 61k altogether in roughly 2:40.

Then I had more of that pud. I did mention its pretty big. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Oryx wrote: »

Then I had more of that pud. I did mention its pretty big. :)

well soaked in alcohol too if it's still going:)

sounds like a decent recovery food though:)

And the last training session of the year is done. I didn't feel like it, and put it off till late morning, but eventually got out for a windswept hilly run. 13.8k untimed - times are pointless when you're running in a gale. I got back in the door just as the heavens opened. Its a full on thunderstorm now.

Happy New year and all that schtick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Happy New Year to you, Barbie! ;)

Have you got any big goals or a target race for 2014?? Or are you still formulating your year's plan? And while we're at it, have you any New Year's resolutions? :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Happy New Year to you, Barbie! ;)

Have you got any big goals or a target race for 2014?? Or are you still formulating your year's plan? And while we're at it, have you any New Year's resolutions? :)

Oh I have a plan alright. Lots of little goals and one big one. Going long again of course, to exorcise the ghosts of slow and hot Austria. With a few challenges to keep me amused along the way. Id like to place better this year, thats the general ambition.

I don't go for nitty gritty resolutions, I just want the motto for 2014 to be: Enjoy.

I took new years day off, so a slow start to my training year. Just a steady turbo last night, 65mins. The weather wasn't conducive to a cycle today so the next best thing was a run. I need a few long runs in my legs, and this was the start of it. 20.35k in 115 mins, ave 5:40. This was windy, cold and hilly, with a few showers thrown in, but still my favourite kind of training. Very relaxing in a weird way.

Trail run today. Lots of mixed terrain, ups and downs, sand and boggy grass. Pace was moderate, with a few minutes of confused walking when I got lost. 9:69k in 59 minutes. Much harder course than yesterday though.

20mins of core when I got home.

I need to swim though. I'm suffering chlorine withdrawal.

I posted earlier but the mystical boards turtle ate it during the outage. In a nutshell I did a two hour turbo and a one hour swim this morning. Then I went ice skating with my kids and saw the film Walter Mitty, which would put a longing on you to go find Sean Penn in the himalayas.

Twas a good day.

• Advertisement

I posted earlier but the mystical boards turtle ate it during the outage. In a nutshell I did a two hour turbo and a one hour swim this morning. Then I went ice skating with my kids and saw the film Walter Mitty, which would put a longing on you to go find Sean Penn in the himalayas.

Twas a good day.

Twirl baby, twirl!! ;):D

I was wiped out this morning so I didn't train. I did the ironing instead. :( I did a short (7.13k) recovery run tonight and then went to kettlebells, which felt pretty easy. It doesn't feel like I'm making much of an impact trainingwise at the moment and I need to get my finger out and start a proper IM plan soon. Time is moving on.

What date is UKIM???

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What date is UKIM???

20th July

Early swim. 100- 500 -100 pyramid, very straightforward. Best swim in ages, I really enjoyed this. 2650 incl sd.

Another swim. Timed 100s and 50s. Heavy going but I felt okay, didn't die during it. Two sets in one day was pretty good tbh. 2k total this time.

Turbo (easy cos the rear tyre had a slow leak and I couldn't be arsed fixing it) followed by a run this morning. I was feeling the post swim fatigue but it was good to get something done. Forty minutes for each.

Group turbo. They're still letting me inflict sets on them and this week was race pace aerobic endurance. I enjoyed it and the rest were pretty quiet which I took to mean they were loving it. :) 60 mins

Yesterday was an oh-my-god early swim. One of those days where you can't even get your brain to form words you're so sleepy, and you swim on autopilot. I did 2200 and all I had to do was swim bilateral, that was the only plan. I broke it up into a few drills, lungbusters and sprints and got through it fast enough.

Today was another early one, though not quite as bad as yesterday. Group run, first one in a month for most of them, very mixed ability, and the plan was up to me so I did a basic flat trail route with some strides thrown in. Didn't want
    any borked ankles or heart attacks on my watch. :) 50 mins, 9.6k for me.

Terrible weather AGAIN today so out of my two training options (bike or run) I chose run. But where possible right now every run will begin with a spot of spinning on the turbo, so 40 mins there first before I went out today. Its funny how I could even feel that small amount in my legs when I started running.

I wanted to get some mileage done today so this was a bit of a plod. I took no food or water and by 15k I had heavy tired legs. And to make matters worse it's all uphill for the last 5k and I just kept getting slower and slower :) 25.2k in 2:28.

• Advertisement

Yesterday I had a lot of driving to do, but managed to get in a one to one coached swim. It was helpful but also soul crushing because it feels like I'll NEVER get any better!

I did an early swim today to try and embed the stuff I was told yesterday, key being to try and get a 'feel' for the water. But me and water are opposing forces, I fight it rather than glide through it like the sharks. This is what happens, children, when you dont do your swim lessons when you are young!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yesterday I had a lot of driving to do, but managed to get in a one to one coached swim. It was helpful but also soul crushing because it feels like I'll NEVER get any better!

I feel ya sister :D
    Them:
    'your hips are too low'
    'you're overstrecthing'
    'you're not streching enough'
    'your left arm and should look like you are unable to control them'
    'you're not rotating enough'
    'finish off your stroke'
    'try doing this' *does a move that I'm definitely doing already*

Me:
    'How the f*ck am I not drowning?'

You know, I wish I got that level of coaching in my regular sessions. :) Swimming is not a skill designed to be self taught :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You know, I wish I got that level of coaching in my regular sessions. :) Swimming is not a skill designed to be self taught :(

I swim like this so they've no choice ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woYG6Uq6OVU

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

That's me. I have an Equatorial Guinea record!!!!!!!!!

MaryB30 wrote: »
    That's me. I have an Equatorial Guinea record!!!!!!!!!
    No, I think you kick better. ;)

Brilliant clip. Tho it does look similar to my last video analysis. :p

More swimming last night, with the coach on deck. I may be tempting fate, but I think we may be coming towards a mutual understanding. I will work hard in his sessions as long as the work makes sense. I avoid stuff (like touch hand catch up) that's detrimental to me. And last night he worked with me on this attitude. I told him what my focus was, and he helped with coaching points on that. Alright, he still made me do 500m kicking but still, its a start.

I havent had a rest day in two weeks, so today will be nothing or a recovery run, depending on how I feel later. I did do a short strength session as designed by our club sadist physio, and all I can say is, one legged burpees, I hate you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Im curious

" I avoid stuff (like touch hand catch up) that's detrimental to me."

as in one hand is out front, the other is recovering and they touch and then the other stroke starts ?

Interesting.

interested wrote: »
    Im curious

" I avoid stuff (like touch hand catch up) that's detrimental to me."

as in one hand is out front, the other is recovering and they touch and then the other stroke starts ?

Interesting.
    Both hands meet in streamline position, touch briefly before the second hand continues the next stroke. I avoid it like the plague, as it aggravates my shoulder and encourages a crossover in my stroke which I have worked hard to eliminate. I will do cu but only with hands shoulder width apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Both hands meet in streamline position, touch briefly before the second hand continues the next stroke. I avoid it like the plague, as it aggravates my shoulder and encourages a crossover in my stroke which I have worked hard to eliminate. I will do cu but only with hands shoulder width apart.

"encourages a crossover in my stroke which I have worked hard to eliminate"

its this bit that you're aware of and have worked to correct that I spend alot of time talking about and trying to get people to eliminate ...
    the reasoning behind NOT doing it is that it encourages crossing, which triggers hip throwing as a result ... which causes a snake like movement in the water as people tire ... which increases frontal resistance ... which slows you down and makes you even more tired ...

... All good now ... ;)

Advertisement