Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Izoard wrote: »
    I presumed all the ladies of TDAR had a runner fetish akin to RQ....

5:30 will probably be a stretch for me at this point, but happy to hang on to your coat tails for as long as possible.

It'll probably be a stretch for me too. And for the record I buy a new pair of brooks about every year, but only ever have one decent pair on the go at any time. My only trail shoes need replacing but they're very low on the priority list! No shoe fetish here.

I was supposed to run today, but it was DRY out and I couldn't waste a day with no rain. I haven't done a road cycle in a few weeks and it was great to be out on the storck again. Chose my route based on the wind direction, so it was into the wind for 40k but woo hoo I had it to my back all the way home. It felt like the bike had a motor :) The halfway point was hook head, where the waves had covered the road with foam that looked like piles of snow. My bike got destroyed going through it but it was worth it for tea and taytos at the lighthouse cafe.

83.5k in god knows what ride time. I worked hard, that's all I care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Fantastic part of the world around Hook Head- and no shelter from any winds! Nice ride.

Another day of pleasant weather today, bit of rain to start but then the sun came out. Headed to the raven wood for a flat trail run. Did 16.5k in bang on 90 mins. Didn't feel much of yesterdays bikein my legs, which is a good sign. Then did some stretches at the the top of the dunes with a view of the strand. Lovely.

Double swim day today. Early one was all drills and felt very clunky, later one was my first with our new coach. Interesting set and the one piece of advice I got improved my backstroke straight away. By the end of the hour it was all fitting together much better. 2200 in 60 mins.

• Advertisement

Rest day yesterday. I dont know if these are beneficial, because by the end of the day, I would have fought with my fingernails. :( Grumpy don't describe it! Went to bed early to avoid anyone setting off my touchpaper.

Short run this morning, out in the frost where the only sign of yesterdays storm was that quite a few trees were horizontal instead of vertical. Otherwise a cool, calm day. Just like me after a good nights rest.

6.95k easy with a set of strides in the middle to wake up my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

All set? First ultra, right?

All set? First ultra, right?

Does a marathon with a warm up qualify as ultra? :) Lovely weather for it.

Oryx wrote: »
    Does a marathon with a warm up qualify as ultra? :) Lovely weather for it.

Yeah - don't listen to the hairy-legged ones, banging on that "only 100miles is an ultra." etc...

Wear the medal with pride!

See you at the start line...

Yeah - don't listen to the hairy-legged ones, banging on that "only 100miles is an ultra." etc...

Wear the medal with pride!

See you at the start line...
    Thank you for the confidence that I will finish. :) See you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Will there be live tracking? ;)

Monster! Congrats on well and truely popping your Ultra cherry:)

So impressed that you held that pace all the way - not bad off a 28km LSR...incredible strength and engine.

Elevated to Rock Star on my Boards list...:)

I had been told that donadea was a great race and noone was kidding. My lack of training and the fact that this was a non critical race meant I rolled up today pretty relaxed, I had nothing to prove. Met a few familiar faces at the start, they all seemed pretty chilled too!
    I was cold so I hid in my coat till just before race start when I headed up the trail with the rest of the all smiling field. No fuss, no bother, a quick line up, a siren, and off we went.

No sooner had I set off than who pulled alongside only Izoard. I was glad of the company! We ran together and chewed the fat for a few miles and I couldn't help noticing our pace was just a squeak over what we both were aiming for. But what the hey, I felt okay. Though as the miles clocked up my fellow boardsie got quieter and quieter... until we got to a hill and he was gone. We didn't even say goodbye :(

So I kept going, keeping an eye on the pace and staying relaxed. Had a few other chats along the way to pass the time. Its the most sociable race I've ever done. :) It rained, hard, twice, but considering the weather weve had, today was a gift. Someone musta paid off the weather fairies.

The toughest lap mentally was 7, because youre neither here nor there, and the last one was a struggle to hold pace. But all in all the time flew. I didn't really feel the distance at all. Splits were 27, then 6 @ 26 and the last three 27 again. 4:28:40 got me fifth placed woman. If only I knew 4th place was less than a minute ahead... Ah well. Next time!

Thank you Anto for inspiring me to race this. It was just what the doctor ordered. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fab stuff Oryx, had been stalking your times and so consistent. Well done. Glad you enjoyed it!

Monster! Congrats on well and truely popping your Ultra cherry:)

So impressed that you held that pace all the way - not bad off a 28km LSR...incredible strength and engine.

Elevated to Rock Star on my Boards list...:)
    Thanks for the company and chat which made the first third fly by! Nice to catch you for a bit afterwards too. Best of luck for Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You are my hero!!! Well done Ironwoman Ultrawoman!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great stuff, off a 28km LSR... Kudos and well done. Hot to trot and Tough as nails, that's our Iron hoochie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Well done Oryx savage stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Had a snoop at your splits- very impressive pacing, if your longest training run was only 28k. Well done.

Felt pretty okay today, so I spent an hour spinning out my legs on the turbo. Its strange and not unpleasant to have a Sunday off training.

I keep looking at the finishers medal and thinking feck, did I really run 50k? God be with the days I couldn't run 50 feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Hi Oryx, well done on race yesterday, great confidence builder for IMUK, by the way, not many people would consider an hour spinning on turbo as a day off training :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Felt pretty okay today, so I spent an hour spinninh WHILE WEARING MY 50K TEE SHIRT. out my legs on the turbo. Its strange and not unpleasant to have a Sunday off training.

I keep looking at the finishers medal and thinking feck, did I really run 50k? God be with the days I couldn't run 50 feet.
    Well done O...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

"Why are you running faster? Come back, what have I done?!" :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/12544811883/

"Why are you running faster? Come back, what have I done?!" :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/12544811883/

Full of Bravado on Lap 2 - my picture on Lap 8 looked a lot different - I'd Imagine Oryx was still running with her eyes closed round about then...:)

I can't find any later ones and I'd like to see how we deteriorate :) But I would particularly like a finish line pic cos my son ran in with me. If anyone knows where they might be?

I can't find any later ones and I'd like to see how we deteriorate :) But I would particularly like a finish line pic cos my son ran in with me. If anyone knows where they might be?
    Will/may be gettin some from the Irish runner guy dat wAs there ..another set on from fkickr (trampas) on the fb page

Will/may be gettin some from the Irish runner guy dat wAs there ..another set on from fkickr (trampas) on the fb page

I went back to kettlebells tonight for the first time in about 6 weeks. I had to go very easy. :) But I wore my newest tee shirt and got a few 'what the..' looks. Silly, but I got a kick out of it.

I kept it all pretty light but squats were still hard. My quads complained :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Plain white tee then yeah :D

• Advertisement

Plain white tee then yeah :D
    It says hooters on it.

Advertisement