Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Same thing then!

Must dig out there kettle bells too. Great yolks for toning

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Early swim. Took it very easy, paddling up and down and taking breaks to watch the sharks sprint. Today was recovery, and trying yet again to find this elusive feel for the water. 1400m. Mostly with pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cracking performance at the weekend. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Fantastic running on Saturday. Can't believe you can bang out a run like that and be back training so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

You're putting us all to shame. 50k race on Saturday and then you just carry on afterwards like it was nothing.

• Advertisement

I think I'm still on an endorphin bounce, so I hope I'm not being silly. Though I really am doing everything very easy, keeping the hr down. A guy in the club (who is a pharmacist and should know) told me that your heart swells after a marathon, and it takes about 3 weeks to recover, so I'm conscious of the fact that my body may be stressed in hidden ways, even though I don't feel it.

Though I do reckon that a steady 50k is easier than a fast 10k. :) I know which would hurt more. (Clue: not the 50)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Great performance at the weekend. Goes to how the level of base fitness that you must hold after a couple of years of solid training.
    Oryx wrote: »
    A guy in the club (who is a pharmacist and should know) told me that your heart swells after a marathon, and it takes about 3 weeks to recover, so I'm conscious of the fact that my body may be stressed in hidden ways, even though I don't feel it.

The way I look at it your heart is a muscle and it works hard during an endurance event. It needs time to recover in the same way as the muscles in your legs do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=36805%3Fp%3DO%E2%80%99Hanlon+Races+to+Record

nice mention there,,,u may of found your niche,,,,,,staplestown 50 mile 17th may,invite only,rsvp, as only the best will be there
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/517898904975724/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/102353996509605/

Wow. I got mentioned on Athletics Ireland. Is it okay to be really chuffed by that? :):):)

Yer man on facebook was a real chatterbox, very nice guy. We paced well together till his break! There's a great pic of him with Izoard and I like the three musketeers on one of those flickr links.

I think I have found my niche tbh, long distance is honest to god fun. But with IM this year, I cant even look at anything like the 50 mile. Though to even have someone consider me capable is quite something. Thank you for making me feel worthy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wow. I got mentioned on Athletics Ireland. Is it okay to be really chuffed by that? :):):)

Yer man on facebook was a real chatterbox, very nice guy. We paced well together till his break! There's a great pic of him with Izoard and I like the three musketeers on one of those flickr links.

I think I have found my niche tbh, long distance is honest to god fun. But with IM this year, I cant even look at anything like the 50 mile. Though to even have someone consider me capable is quite something. Thank you for making me feel worthy!

When is IM UK? I've a Dingle 50 mile entry I won't be using...

..just saying :)

• Advertisement

When is IM UK? I've a Dingle 50 mile entry I won't be using...

..just saying :)
    When is dingle????

And we need to talk about your habit of abandoning race entries....

Edit: Damn you I just checked. Now I have to contend with the little voices in my head telling me 'sure how hard could it be?'

When is dingle????

And we need to talk about your habit of abandoning race entries....

Edit: Damn you I just checked. Now I have to contend with the little voices in my head telling me 'sure how hard could it be?'

Prioities and goals have changed since I entered. May change it to the half and go for the craic for the weekend. :)

I reckon next year is going to have to be the year of the Ultra type challenges, if I'm not doing long distance tri.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Well done at the weekend, Super performance. Re IMUK, do you know anything about new bike route?

Well done at the weekend, Super performance. Re IMUK, do you know anything about new bike route?

Only had a look today. Same old info on the IM site. I'm waiting for word too!

Swam last night, coached session. It was all about open water practice. Not sure how much I got from it, but it was slow paced and relatively easy, which suited me. 2k in the hour.

At home with kids this morning, so I couldnt go out to run. I looked at the dusty tready. I looked outside at the fresh clear day. I did what I had to do. I put on my outdoor gear, and ran loops around the house and driveway. (Which sounds worse than it is, its a long drive). Halfway through it started to rain, and our goat (yes we have a goat) stared at me from its shelter as if I was mad. I probably am.

5.2k in 31 minutes. (I have no speed today, the body is a curious thing. 50k on Saturday no bother, 5k today felt hard as hell)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

At home with kids this morning, so I couldnt go out to run. I looked at the dusty tready. I looked outside at the fresh clear day. I did what I had to do. I put on my outdoor gear, and ran loops around the house and driveway. (Which sounds worse than it is, its a long drive). Halfway through it started to rain, and our goat (yes we have a goat) stared at me from its shelter as if I was mad. I probably am.

5.2k in 31 minutes. (I have no speed today, the body is a curious thing. 50k on Saturday no bother, 5k today felt hard as hell)

They say you have to be a little touched to do Ultras....here is your proof.

However, it is days like this that make days like Saturday so easy for you.

Early swim today. Oh my god early. I was feeling it. Though there was the beginning of dawn in the sky today as I went in, this is the first week I have seen that. Spring is coming!!

Yesterday I was reading KG and MaryB discussing tumbling, so today, I tried to incorporate tumbling into my swim. I can do it fine bs, because I don't actually have to turn, but when its fc, it all goes to pot. Arms and legs akimbo, and I end up pointing any which way, liable to either nut myself on the pool floor, or crash into anyone else in the vicinity. Not good. Still, it did give that continuity the lads were on about, and it just needs practice. Lots of practice. At the end of the session, one of the sharks complemented me on my last turn, but he did have a glint in his eye, somehow I doubt his sincerity.

2200m of kick with fins, drills and TUMBLING!

Only ever really tried it in one or two sessions. Disaster for me. I kept forgetting to breathe out through my nose when I was doing it, breathing in instead and then ending up coughing and spluttering :D

• Advertisement

Only ever really tried it in one or two sessions. Disaster for me. I kept forgetting to breathe out through my nose when I was doing it, breathing in instead and then ending up coughing and spluttering :D
    Aha, nose clips rule. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

TUMBLING!

I've decided to do everything with tumble turns from now- they can only get better with practice! Have you tried practicing midpool- from a standing position you tuck your head into chest and begin the flip (use your arms to aid the turn as much as neccessary at this stage), then keep the feet together, plant them on the ground and push off from the floor with arms ahead. Think superman.

Caveat to above- I'm as much a beginner as your good self! Practice and more practice, methinks!

Edit- Good post here from the swimming forum, by someone who knows what he's talking about.

2nd Edit- This one from Captain Interested with vids

Only just saw those edits, will check em out later, thanks.

Saturday 1 hr turbo. Easy.
    Sunday 1hr/1hr/10mins run/bike/run brick. (Weather messed with long bike plans).
    Monday 87k long bike. Windy with showers but what can you do? I had to get out. Hook again cos of wind direction. Lovely spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Monday 87k long bike. Windy with showers but what can you do? I had to get out. Hook again cos of wind direction. Lovely spin.
    Nothing stops our tough gal ironhoochie :)

Nothing stops our tough gal ironhoochie :)
    It stopped me Sunday...

Swam this morning, plod, plod, plodding while circled by sharks. The turning is getting better, I just sometimes miss the wall or forget to actually rotate. I am struggling to time the rotation correctly*, once I feel that Im getting that right, Ill work on not flailing my hands to help me! 2k easy peasy.

*push off and rotate as you do, or streamline then rotate? Or a bit of both?

Came. Saw. Swam. (Again).

Overcrowded, with a late start, so I was dunked in a lane with 5 other people; all swam like fish on steroids. 1900m of max hr hell chasing the end of the train.

Wednesday: Rest day. Am I being good to myself or just soft?

Thursday: Ran am. 10wu, 5cd with a bit of tempo in the middle. Probably not enough though. 45mins

Thursday: Turbo pm. Main set was 4 x(3min @ 70%, 3min @80% 2min @ 90% (second min out of saddle)
    2min easy spin). I did not hit those targets, unfortunately. Hr was hard to budge. 65mins

Friday: Early swim. Lots of kicking with fins, and trying to improve my catch and 'feel' the water, by
    making small adjustments and seeing how they felt. 2300m

Another month over. Still not working to a plan. I am a little concerned about that. Winging IM is not an option.

Overcrowded, with a late start, so I was dunked in a lane with 5 other people; all swam like fish on steroids. 1900m of max hr hell chasing the end of the train.

This is a good thing for your swimming though, no?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    This is a good thing for your swimming though, no?
    I never said it was bad. :) It was so hard I had chest pain trying to keep up. I think, apart from puking or passing out, that's decent sign that you're trying hard.

• Advertisement

I never said it was bad. :) It was so hard I had chest pain trying to keep up. I think, apart from puking or passing out, that's decent sign that you're trying hard.

I meant in the context of your concern about not working to a plan. From the looks of things, your swimming is improving nicely from what you're already doing.

Advertisement