Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Oryx wrote: »
    Rather than turbo this morning, I took the tt bike out for a spin to blow the cobwebs off. Time for this bike to start getting more use. I'm not used to riding such an aggressive position, it is going to take time to learn to really ride this fast, and I doubt it will see bolton. But you never know!

Do you know anyone with rollers you could borrow? I found riding these in the TT position great, you learn to relax and just cycle.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

BennyMul wrote: »
    Do you know anyone with rollers you could borrow? I found riding these in the TT position great, you learn to relax and just cycle.

I looked for some at the end of last season - none to borrow - but tbh most of the comments here put me off investing in them. Finances don't allow right now anyway so I'll stick to my local backroads and plug away at it.

In the pool tonight, doing my planned session, when one of the fish stopped me. (One of the uber fast, uber good fish) She then started to coach me and give me drills and exercises to correct my stroke. Just cos she wanted to help and could see I was putting in a lot of work for no gain, and hurting my shoulders into the bargain.

And she really did help. It will take work to make the fundamental changes needed (its not one element but the whole reach and flow of the stroke) but so so useful. So a shorter but more beneficial swim than I expected to do.

Two inspiring sessions in one day. Cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

Do tell later.

Another tt spin today, I'm determined that this bike earns it's keep, finally. I thought of what Benny said: relax and cycle. The fact that I had to come up off the bars every few minutes because my arm was cramping probably means the 'relaxed' bit wasn't, really. But much more relaxed than the previous effort, and it is lovely to tuck down out of the wind. Key thoughts about the difference in the tt bike and the roadie? Twitchier and less forgiving, you will go where you are looking. So don't look at oncoming traffic.:p And finally, I'm noticing the benefit of the ISM saddle, which becomes more like a sofa than a housebrick when aero! 26k in about an hour - I can't ride this thing fast yet.

• Advertisement

Sick yet again over the past few days and today I was under orders (my own) to take it easy. But I still wanted to get out and do something. So I took a spin on the bike around the half marathon route and did a bit of cheering on. Spectating is much easier than competing, I should do more of it. The familiar club faces were running strong, almost put a longing on me. Almost.

41k done very easy with a cappuccino in the sun as well. It won't get me around IM but it might help me coax this fragile, stupid body back into training.

Thanks for your invaluable support today. Its so good to have someone to cheer you on. But for the last 5k when you said "now is the time to run" I felt like stopping and stealing your bike.

Didn't know you were under the weather, a bit of fine weather now will do you good, see you Thursday for some Hypothermia training.

In fairness you didn't look like you were struggling. You wouldnt have got the bike anyway, noone touches my bird. ;) Well done on your pb. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi Oryx,

Spotted you twice today on the route.

Long time follower of your log and obviously don't know you from Adam but recognised you from a few pics on the forum and recognised your Storck too (even nicer in the flesh)!

First time (about 4.5k) I thought "why's she standing there, she should be running this with us, great session for an IM coming up".

Second time (about 17k) I thought "wish I had a f'ing bike".

Anyway, nice to know you superfit aspirational people really exist and take the time to cheer on us mere mortals.

Howdy pointer, pity I didn't know you to shout out to! I was supposed to do a six hour bike today - more use than a run - but when I got knocked with a tummy bug, I thought id go rubber neck you guys instead as a gentle wake up for the body :) You did a good time if you saw me. On a tough day out there.

• Advertisement

60k bike today. I ran out of energy and motivation around halfway, so I shortened a plan to go longer. Clearly I'm still not recovered. I'll come back and fight a longer route another day. Otherwise, it's a good day out, this was my first spin in actual warm weather clothing! Bare legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Howdy pointer, pity I didn't know you to shout out to! I was supposed to do a six hour bike today - more use than a run - but when I got knocked with a tummy bug, I thought id go rubber neck you guys instead as a gentle wake up for the body :) You did a good time if you saw me. On a tough day out there.

Yeah, I was going to shout at you too but thought it might be a bit weird, strangers off the internet and all.

Very minor PB but long way off what I wanted!

pointer28 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was going to shout at you too but thought it might be a bit weird, strangers off the internet and all.

Very minor PB but long way off what I wanted!

'Hey I'm pointer!' might have made me scratch my head alright. :)

Straightforward swim tonight, working on the pointers (ha) I was given last week. 2500m in about 50 -55 mins. Done as 500 fc, 1000 pb, 500 fc, 500 pb. The coach who happened to be on deck doing a separate session even noticed I was working on my rotation, hopefully in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

60k bike today. I ran out of energy and motivation around halfway, so I shortened a plan to go longer. Clearly I'm still not recovered. I'll come back and fight a longer route another day. Otherwise, it's a good day out, this was my first spin in actual warm weather clothing! Bare legs!

Swit swoo!! ;)

And ease back into it slowly..... !!!!!!

As part of easing back into it slowly I ran this morning, IN THE SUNSHINE, with happy clappy tunes for company. No numbers were monitored as part of this run. ;) I already know the route is 11k though. It felt good, and I felt strong, probably because I didn't have a draining long hilly cycle at the weekend.

I also talked to our local hero to get a bit of help with where I'm at in training, and he has managed to convince me I'm not going disastrously wrong, and gave me a few tips on how to approach things for the next 12 weeks. All very helpful and reassuring.

Does this hero wear their jocks on the outside or inside ??

MaryB30 wrote: »
    Does this hero wear their jocks on the outside or inside ??
    Inside. No cape, neither.

Coached swim. 2150m of tough short bits and pieces. Last bit was 8 x 100 off 2:15. Still finding this tough but I was also trying to concentrate on good rotation and that seemed better so I'll take it as progress.

Took it easy yesterday, with a short big cog session on the turbo and a piddling bit of core the only efforts made.

Long run this morning. Steady (easy) effort, watching but not obsessing on pace. The main outcome of the pep talk earlier in the week is to trust myself and what I am doing, and that's what this run was about. I've done okay in the past working on instinct when it comes to running, and this reminded me how essential that is to how I train. If I get too caught up in targets and numbers, it wrecks my head and my confidence, and for me anyway, that is critical. 18.33k in 102 minutes. No food, no water.

Early swim today. My first in three weeks. My mindset this morning can be described by my comment as I got in the pool: 'this is a load of b****x'.

Rotation is still the biggy at the moment, and the changes I'm trying seem to be slowing me down, I feel really clunky. I did a lot of this with pb, because it was easier to only think about the arms. Did it in long sets wu, 1000, 500, 500, sd but no clock - no point. 2600 in 70 mins

So, today I did the Blackstairs Adventure Race. This was a bit last minute, and very disorganised. I forgot so much stuff (including money and to put fuel in the car) but thankfully nothing essential. The weather was horrible. Cold, foggy, drizzly. First run and bike went well but as usual it all goes wrong at the kayak. Lost a lot of places, particularly when I went back to my bike (bike drop is literal - you lie them on the ground) to find the front wheel pointing east and the handlebars pointing west. Wtf? All I can think is someone fell on it. Anyway a big strong marshal straightened it out best he could, and it got me around. Bike mech visit required tho.

Second bike was cold, and I started to bonk/get hypothermic. Not sure. Forced ride bars into me and they worked, so I was okay for the second evil run. Two gels worked wonders here and I managed to finish with a strong bike.

In spite of the weather, a great, great, great race, organised by people who care, and it shows. Bravo to the mountain marshals up there in the cold. Poor buggers. Got a grand leg massage afterwards and the 2nd place prize money was dead handy to buy diesel to get me home. :)

I'll definitely be back to this one.

• Advertisement

You are fecking awesome!!!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You are fecking awesome!!!
    I'll admit, standing on a podium was cool. But I know my place. Still a little fish when it comes to the big pond.

I'll admit, standing on a podium was cool. But I know my place. Still a little fish when it comes to the big pond.

The taste of podium can change you....make you hungrier. Let it. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Like DD said... you are fecking awesome and I think a cape would suit you nicely (and give Kurt wet dreams)... Well done on your podium finish! Forget the spandex tris you are clearly suited to the gnarly stuff :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

On the podium. Too right. ;)

Like DD said... you are fecking awesome and I think a cape would suit you nicely (and give Kurt wet dreams)... Well done on your podium finish! Forget the spandex tris you are clearly suited to the gnarly stuff :D
    Going down a descent today, shin deep in mud, all I could think was 'I prefer tri! Tri is clean!' :)

Oooh my quads hurt. I've been walking around like a little old lady with bad hips since yesterday morning, and I've even been needing a hand up off the sofa from my kids. It seems strength work IS essential, or this is what happens! Funny thing is, I got a post race massage on my calves on Sunday, so they are perfect, but I never thought the quads would give bother.

Did nothing yesterday except a bit of agonising foam rolling. Today a swim seemed like the best option, given that I cant walk, let alone run, and one knee is swollen so I'm avoiding anything that might irritate. Did most of the set with pb, about a quarter of it without. 2200 simple meters.

I feel very decrepit today.

Another early swim, legs were better for this one so less pb. Still, it was all quite slow. 2350 in 65 mins. Hopefully quads will be able for something different tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oooh my quads hurt.....

I feel very decrepit today.

Snap! Quad DOMS check! Swollen knee check! As a result of muddy off road fun check! :D

I don't think general strength work will make a huge difference. Specific running strength yes. Like running up and down muddy hills for races with muddy hills :)

• Advertisement

Snap! Quad DOMS check! Swollen knee check! As a result of muddy off road fun check! :D

I don't think general strength work will make a huge difference. Specific running strength yes. Like running up and down muddy hills for races with muddy hills :)
    Ah, well if it can happen to someone like you too, then I'm okay! I thought it was a bad sign, but like you say, its just a lack-of-running-up-hills sign.

Getting better though. I can pick things up when I drop them on the floor today.

Advertisement